• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man X
  3. MMX GP Chapter 1 (C. penguin, S. Eagle, S. Mandrill, F. Mammoth)

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
5 months ago#41
I always remember hearing this was the typical boss people started with

Mostly for the dash move. There's other bosses that are probably easier.

It's the regular copy of the game, it's only takes wrong setting to trip the anti piracy protection. Again I'm hesitant to discuss this too much here, but it's pretty simple, and there is a lot of info on there on how and why it happens. It's not a glitch, it's intentional.

I'm aware, but "having items disappear right then you kill enemies" is not one of the listed problems that the piracy protections would create. Which is why I wondered if it was otherwise. Games have glitches sometimes.

It's been a long, long time since I've used boss weapons in this game. Too used to doing Buster-only runs these days.

I'm the same way though I usually use boss weapons against the refights in the last levels. It's often surprising how easily they nerf fights, especially with a few X1 bosses like Chameleon, Mandrill and Penguin.

Rules are simple. Play normally until I beat the first Maverick, then never touch the Buster again and rely on boss weapons only.

Ug, this sounds awful. Lots of annoyances with running out of energy. In other games you have sub-weapons that use very little energy like Metal Blade or Splash Trident but X1 doesn't seem to have any.

Fire Wave is a top-priority, and the other top-priority, Storm Tornado

Care to say why these are so big for the run? Never thought Fire Wave was that awesome. I assume Storm Tornado one-shots everything?

Spark Mandrill in a Buster-only run is an exhilarating fight that's one of the most fun fights to be had in the SNES MMX games.

Agreed. It's sad how much his weakness nerfs him. Never big on when sub-weapons interrupt a boss's patterns. The bigger damage is fine but it shouldn't make the fight a joke.

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
5 months ago#42
Hotel_Security posted...
Rules are simple. Play normally until I beat the first Maverick, then never touch the Buster again and rely on boss weapons only.

Ug, this sounds awful. Lots of annoyances with running out of energy. In other games you have sub-weapons that use very little energy like Metal Blade or Splash Trident but X1 doesn't seem to have any.

Fire Wave is a top-priority, and the other top-priority, Storm Tornado

Care to say why these are so big for the run? Never thought Fire Wave was that awesome. I assume Storm Tornado one-shots everything?

Fire Wave is the answer to the dilemma you mentioned in the first comment.

Fire Wave is unbelievably energy-efficient, while dealing very good damage. As long as you only fire in very short tap-bursts you can defeat a lot of enemies with just a single unit of energy.

Every other weapon consumes at least one unit per shot. Fire Wave can shoot several. Hence why it's the very first weapon you must get in a run like this, where the most difficult phase is when you've just killed your first Maverick so you have only one weapon with finite ammo.

And Storm Tornado one-shotting anything that's not a boss can't be overstated as well.

So, Fire Wave has maximum efficiency, and Storm Tornado has maximum firepower. The rest only get to play utility roles(if possible) while those two see the most use throughout the run.
Chameleon Sting gives you timed invincibility and intangibility when charged, so it's useful for getting through hairy spots.
Rolling Shield gives you longer, indefinite invincibility when charged, as long as you're not going up against tough enemies or spikes. Also useful.
Shotgun Ice has powerful raw single-shot damage and can be used to reflect shots against walls. Somewhat useful.
Boomerang Cutter can be used to retrieve items, as well as some weird interactions with certain bosses.
Homing Torpedo can dispatch hard-to-reach enemies, and you can opt to spam it to deal with mooks while focusing on your platforming or avoiding boss attacks(like Vile).
Electric Spark is utter crap and apart from serving as a weakness to Armadillo and 1st form Sigma has absolutely no purpose.
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/77111212

User Info: looked

looked
5 months ago#43
Hotel_Security posted...
I'm aware, but "having items disappear right then you kill enemies" is not one of the listed problems that the piracy protections would create. Which is why I wondered if it was otherwise. Games have glitches sometimes.

It is listed on the cutting room floor, but it only says “power ups will quickly vanish.“ This isn’t quite accurate though. They drop normally, but they vanish as soon as they touch the ground. It also only happen to health power ups.

Here is a video showing it off.

https://youtu.be/HIKCOVtKgjg

User Info: kefkamademedoit

kefkamademedoit
5 months ago#44
@Distant_Rainbow

welcome aboard! I love seeing the different ways everyone approaches the game. That is definitely a fun/tough way to go through it.

Join us as we do group playthroughs for classic games! http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/1145-retro-revival

User Info: Ajogamer

Ajogamer
5 months ago#45
7. Storm Eagle

This felt like a bit of an odd stage, having to climb my way upward with a conveyor belt, then having all these nooks with fuel tanks to optionally explode (which just took a lot of shooting) for health. Really glad I had the Homing Torpedo at this point too, since that kept the flying grabber robots from being a problem.

Past that, the stage got slightly more conventional. Found a window up above that I could break open, and grab a Sub Tank. (Guess this game has that instead of E-tanks?) It was also fun seeing the windows have a huge shattering chain reaction after I killed the enemy in there.

After that, the stage was back to being boring, with a bunch of simple floating platforms I slowly advanced on as I killed the enemies on them, then at the end, there was some fuel tanks below that I veeeerrrry sloooowly blew up with charge shots (didn't see any easy way to hit it more rapidly). Figured maybe that'd be where this stage's heart container was, but nah... just an extra life (well, guess it at least it wasn't more health).

Shortly after that, there was a path split. Downward looked slightly more out of the way, so I checked there, and found a helmet upgrade behind some more flame tanks, so that's nice.

The fight with Storm Eagle was another easy one (even my armor aside). The Chameleon Sting was able to hit him pretty rapidly, so I had him dead before he could do much. Only got hit once.

Since the fight had a neater setup, I was left feeling like seeing how it is when not trivialized, so I did one more attempt buster-only. Definitely was much more of a challenge (the biggest part for me being when he chained a lot of air dashes - was a bit unsure if I had to hit him, or just wait it out), but it was also a pretty fun fight that way, and where I still won it fine.

This is probably the stage I feel the most mixed on so far. There're some pretty cool things, like the windows exploding and the boss fight at the end (along its lead-in), but the conveyor belts and floating platforms really dragged down the stage a bit, with how slow and boring they are.

8. Flame Mammoth

I knew since it was mentioned before that doing Chill Penguin first makes this stage a bit easier, but man, it really completely trivializes it. Even getting the Heart Container was simple, since it was just down below in the now-safe ash/snow (unsure which), rather than somewhere I'd actually need to explore for.

Anyway, far as Flame Mammoth goes, he was slightly more interesting than his flameless stage, but was still another easy boss, since his weakness makes really short work of him (especially if you happen to get double hits in a single shot, as I occasionally did).

Since I was curious, I decided to try this stage in with the flames still around, too. This version of the stage was definitely a bit more interesting. The biggest differences were with the early portions, since you actually needed to ride the conveyor belt, then just past that was a neat section with lava geysers that break through the floor. It's actually not too different otherwise, though did feel a bit tougher; a lot of that was also from doing it without the dash or the sub-weapons (since it was a new file), though.

Extra collectables:

With those 8 robot masters done, I thought now was a good time to get the few remaining heart containers. Sting Chameleon's was the main tricky one; I hate those blind drops you have to guess for.

In reading more of the posts on here afterwards, I realized I also missed all but 1 Sub-tank (at the time, I assumed there was only 1), along with the arm shot upgrade, so I went back to grab all those. (Also don't have the Hadoken, but dunno if I'll get that or not, since it sounds more like a secret Easter egg that's perhaps a bit OP for a first runthrough.)

Of the Sub-tanks, I felt a bit stupid for overlooking the one in Spark Mandril's stage, though eh, I wouldn't have been able to grab it at the time anyway. The other two (in Armored Armadillo and Flame Mammoth's stages) I can easily see why I overlooked the first time, but they were intuitive enough to find when I went back with the intention of searching around.

With the arm upgrade, I had to look it up to find it; it's some breakable blocks after the first drop, but they really blend into the stage, and looked to me like an impossible jump to reach even past that, but nah, it's just pixel-perfect (or very close to it, at least). Tried out the various charge upgrades after that too. Some're pretty interesting, though I also wonder how practical they all are, with their bigger charge times.

After all that, I headed back to Armored Armadillo's stage to fill up my Sub-tanks via killing the bats near the start, since that worked well to do so quickly.

User Info: looked

looked
5 months ago#46
Ajogamer posted...
since that kept the flying grabber robots from being a problem.

Past that, the stage got slightly more conventional. Found a window up above that I could break open, and grab a Sub Tank. (Guess this game has that instead of E-tanks?)

The name change makes sense, because they do work differently. E-tanks are a 1 time use item and then they are gone. Sub tanks work the same way as Super Metroids reserve tanks. Once you pick it up, it's in your inventory, and you can reuse, and refill it, by collecting health when your health is already full.

Ajogamer
5 months ago#47
looked posted...
The name change makes sense, because they do work differently. E-tanks are a 1 time use item and then they are gone. Sub tanks work the same way as Super Metroids reserve tanks. Once you pick it up, it's in your inventory, and you can reuse, and refill it, by collecting health when your health is already full.

Yeah, the Sub-tank in Super Metroid was definitely what it reminded me of, though looking at dates, seem like this game actually slightly predates that, so if either took any inspiration, guess it'd be that from this (simple enough idea it could just be coincidence as well, though).

The reusable nature and extra versatility was also why I initially assumed there was only one Sub-tank.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
5 months ago#48
Fire Wave is unbelievably energy-efficient, while dealing very good damage

Never realized how efficient it is. Thanks for the head's up.

Since the fight had a neater setup, I was left feeling like seeing how it is when not trivialized, so I did one more attempt buster-only. Definitely was much more of a challenge

I agree that Storm Eagle is much more fun buster-only. Many of the fights are.

I knew since it was mentioned before that doing Chill Penguin first makes this stage a bit easier, but man, it really completely trivializes it.

It's the same with the Mandrill stage after Storm Eagle's level...just so much easier without all the energy balls...the midboss is heavily nerfed as well.

Ajogamer
5 months ago#49
Hotel_Security posted...
It's the same with the Mandrill stage after Storm Eagle's level...just so much easier without all the energy balls...the midboss is heavily nerfed as well.

Considering that was the stage that gave me the most trouble out of all of them, I definitely think that sounds like the way to do it, too. Storm Eagle Buster-only really seemed like he'd be no problem either, plus well, figure whenever I do replay this, I'd prefer trying buster-only for the initial robot master fights anyway.

User Info: Player55

Player55
4 months ago#50
I think info about anti-piracy stuff is nice...
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man X
  3. MMX GP Chapter 1 (C. penguin, S. Eagle, S. Mandrill, F. Mammoth)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

How to use passwords? Side Quest1 Answer
How do i get Hadouken? Side Quest1 Answer
Zero's Buster and Dr.lights buster? General3 Answers
What does the Z buster do? Side Quest2 Answers
Chill Peguin.....lost boots? Enemy/Boss2 Answers