• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man X
  3. Pros and cons of Chameleon's invincibility and Armadillo's shield?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
6 months ago#1
What do you think of these protective effects?
I used to think that Chameleon's invincibility seemed pointless since Armadillo's shield had the same invincibility effect and also dealt damage to the enemies - kind of like the Star in the Mario games - but then I discovered that the shield kind of had its own internal "life bar" that only allowed it to absorb a certain amount of attacks before it broke.
It seems to me as if Chameleon's invincibility is preferable if you simply want to avoid enemy attacks for a set amount of time, wheres Armadillo's shield would be better if you want to safely get rid of enemies as quickly as possible.
I have also noticed that invincibility requires 4 units of energy, whereas the shield only requires 2 units, so that would possibly make the shield more cost-efficient - but it also implies that the invincibility might be generally "better" in some sense, since it requires more energy.

What do you think of these things?
Both of them seem useful, but I am not always sure which one that I should use.
I changed the signature again, trollolol.

User Info: NessEggman

NessEggman
6 months ago#2
Rolling Shield doesn't have an internal life bar, but rather is only effective against certain enemies (those it can one-shot). If it can't one-shot an enemy, it breaks. I like to use it in Kuwanger stage, you can go through like over half the stage with it.

Chameleon Sting I only really use in the Sigma stages where there's just a million enemies everywhere for short bursts between bosses, so I can quickly jump through them before the charge wears off.
http://thaao.net/unsaga/
My Unlimited Saga fan site and guide

Peter_19
6 months ago#3
NessEggman posted...
Rolling Shield doesn't have an internal life bar, but rather is only effective against certain enemies (those it can one-shot). If it can't one-shot an enemy, it breaks. I like to use it in Kuwanger stage, you can go through like over half the stage with it.

Chameleon Sting I only really use in the Sigma stages where there's just a million enemies everywhere for short bursts between bosses, so I can quickly jump through them before the charge wears off.
Aha okay, I always assumed that the shield had a "life bar" because it always seemed to break after it had taken damage from several enemies, but I guess that I just always ended up running into an enemy that was resistant to it. =P

Wouldn't Chameleon Sting be very useful when you are trying to get the Hadôken, by the way?
I assume that it would eliminate the problem with those flying birds that are sometimes in the way there. (?)

NessEggman
6 months ago#4
Yeah, I've used C Sting for that exact purpose before :) Anymore, I have fun trying to snipe those birds with the buster though. I've gotten pretty good at it XD

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
6 months ago#5
If you ask me, Chameleon Sting is vastly better, there's no debate to be made. It allows you to move through enemies at will and confers immunity to spikes, and that more than covers the time limit restriction it has compared to Rolling Shield.

Rolling Shield only has use over Chameleon Sting if you're going to use your invincibility offensively, which is not that often. Filling Sub-tanks with the bat enemies at the start of Armadillo's own stage.would be one use, as would be the entry section with all the platforms in the first Sigma Fortress level. I can't think of any other section at the moment where Rolling Shield would do anything which Chameleon Sting couldn't perform at an equivalent or even better level.
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/77111212

NessEggman
6 months ago#6
If you can find a place where R Shield lasts longer than C Sting, R Shield is better. Plus there's hands-free farming if you wanna fill your subtanks, like standing over a place where those seahorses pop out in Octopus stage, which beats out the Armadillo method if you're wanting to go afk (afc?).

I mentioned it before, but in Kuwanger stage you can turn on the shield at the elevator part and use it pretty much to the very end. It makes you only have to worry about dodging the platforms on the elevator and makes the climb up the side of the tower MUCH easier. You'd need several C Stings and pausing to charge them for the same effect, and you can't very well stop to charge on the elevator since it's constantly moving.

Other than that, though, you're right that C Sting is pretty much vastly better in general, while R Shield is more situationally useful. But in those few situations, R Shield is the better choice by far.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
6 months ago#7
I agree on Chameleon Sting...I don't need a shield to help me kill enemies...I need it to get past them quick. The fact that you just jump through enemies makes the Sting move the best. I definitely use if for the Kuwanger stage like Ness mentioned.

Plus there's hands-free farming if you wanna fill your subtanks

Subtanks...pshaw... :-)

Peter_19
6 months ago#8
Now when I think about it, isn't Sting Chameleon's invincibility kind of broken?
I mean, if it protects you from everything then couldn't you simply use it on the final boss himself whenever he spams those electrical orbs?

The Armored Armadillo defense is a lot more restrictive since it breaks if you touch powerful enemies and also prevents you from actually using any weapons, whereas Sting Chameleon is basically like "no thanks, I am not taking any damage today" while you can still use its regular firepower.

NessEggman
6 months ago#9
I actually was watching a friend's stream today where they tried using charged C Sting against the final boss, and it didn't work out that great. Sometimes was nice but with the thing running out at the most inconvenient times and having to wait for the charge ended up making it kind of unwieldy and he ended up taking just as much damage as if he hadn't used it. It's not like you have time to react to charge it up as soon as you see the orb attack coming or something.

It did work pretty well against the first form of sigma, though, to avoid making costly mistakes and wearing down his HP a bit before switching over to Electric Spark.

Peter_19
6 months ago#10
NessEggman posted...
I actually was watching a friend's stream today where they tried using charged C Sting against the final boss, and it didn't work out that great. Sometimes was nice but with the thing running out at the most inconvenient times and having to wait for the charge ended up making it kind of unwieldy and he ended up taking just as much damage as if he hadn't used it. It's not like you have time to react to charge it up as soon as you see the orb attack coming or something.

It did work pretty well against the first form of sigma, though, to avoid making costly mistakes and wearing down his HP a bit before switching over to Electric Spark.
Yes, I do remember noticing that it would sometimes be awkward to have it run out in the middle of a situation when there were lots of enemies around (which of course is the main reason why I decided to use it in the first place).
This almost made me fall down the huge pit in the beginning of the first Sigma stage a while ago, so gotta be careful.

I have also discovered a few places where the Rolling Shield seems superior;
it is probably preferable when you try to get the Hadôken and want to avoid the birds, because it kills the birds upon contact and never runs out. =D
You just have to make sure that you stay in the back on the mine cart, so that the stronger enemies cannot touch you, and I also think that I managed to deactivate the shield by entering and exiting the menu, or by switching weapons in the menu.
And as previously mentioned, Rolling Shield also works great on Boomer Kuwanger, and it also seemed handy on several sections of Chill Penguin's stage, and it was really useful for fueling the Sub-Tanks by the seahorses on Launch Octopus's stage - I could even leave the game and let Mega Man stand around and eat Life Pellets until all his Sub-Tanks were full again.

I really enjoy when weapons are super-useful like this;
everything seems useful and handy in this game to some degree.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man X
  3. Pros and cons of Chameleon's invincibility and Armadillo's shield?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

How do i get Hadouken? Side Quest1 Answer
Zero's Buster and Dr.lights buster? General3 Answers
What does the Z buster do? Side Quest2 Answers
How to use passwords? Side Quest1 Answer
Chill Peguin.....lost boots? Enemy/Boss2 Answers