• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man X
  3. Is this a good straightforward order to beat the bosses in a 'perfect game' run?

User Info: DevsBro

DevsBro
6 months ago#11
I mostly do this awkward deal where I curl my index finger over the controller to hit the A/Circle button.

My SNES controllers had unresponsive shoulder buttons (or maybe that's just how SNES controllers were) so I got used to it then and I just never changed.

But in the PS1 and PS2 games, I used R1 for shoot, square for special weapon and left everything else default. Even for Mega Man 8.

I'm weird, I know. They both work really well if you can get used to them though.
53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
6 months ago#12
NessEggman posted...
And speaking of subtanks on the final bosses, I've done it using only 1 sub tank before but I dont think I've ever done it with zero.
1 Sub-Tank is impressive.
I consider myself skilled at the Mega Man games on the NES, but I still had to use all my Sub-Tanks on the final boss.
I did however start getting into a flow during my last attempts, so that I could beat the 2 first bosses very easily.

I wasn't sure how go dodge the fire breath from Velguarder when he stood right next to the walls - obviously, I tried to jump away from the wall a few times, but this sometimes resulted in Velguarder running into me instead - but it didn't deal any particularly large damage, so it wasn't a big deal.
But I also gave myself a handicap in that I insisted on using only the Mega Buster in every fight - I kind of assumed that the other weapons wouldn't make much of a difference, but apparently some weapons did deal more damage.
I knew that Velguarder was weak against Shotgun Ice, but I could beat him with only the Mega Buster without really losing that much life energy at all (maybe 2-4 units on average), so I just stuck with Mega Buster.
I changed the signature again, trollolol.

DevsBro
6 months ago#13
NessEggman posted...
And speaking of subtanks on the final bosses, I've done it using only 1 sub tank before but I dont think I've ever done it with zero.
Sigma is tough. I did a full minimalist run--no subtanks, no heart tanks, no armor upgrades (except the two mandatory ones, and I resolved not to use the dash)--once, and Sigma took by far the most tries.

I've heard of people doing all that plus no weapons, plus no charge shots but that would seem like lunacy to me.
53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53 53

Peter_19
6 months ago#14
DevsBro posted...
Sigma is tough. I did a full minimalist run--no subtanks, no heart tanks, no armor upgrades (except the two mandatory ones, and I resolved not to use the dash)--once, and Sigma took by far the most tries.

I've heard of people doing all that plus no weapons, plus no charge shots but that would seem like lunacy to me.
The biggest threat during the final battle to me was those energy orbs or whatever that sometimes got spammed over the entire screen.
I am aware that it is possible to dash-dodge them, but you have to be very precise to pull that off properly, so I would get hit like half the times there.
I just focused on dodging those stupid flame waves since they dealt even more damage, and they never reached the corners of the screen, so I was guaranteed to be safe from them if I just hung out by the walls - of course, this means that I would also have to avoid the electricity from the platforms at the same time, but that was much easier than I thought it would be.

I have heard that you apparently can beat this boss extremely easily by just standing on the edge of one of the platforms, out of reach from the lightning bolts, and having Mega Man ride it nonstop while shooting Wolf Sigma's head over and over.
I will have to try that next time, it actually sounds like a plausible strategy, haha.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
6 months ago#15
I mostly do this awkward deal where I curl my index finger over the controller to hit the A/Circle button.

I would do the exact same thing...would enable me to still push jump at the right time, especially got dash jumps. At least until I realized that R1 was much better since my finger tends to naturally rest up there anyway.

I used R1 for shoot, square for special weapon and left everything else default.

Feels like an FPS setup there. I've seen a lot more games using shoulder buttons for attacking after FPS games took over.

I'll get all the upgrades but I stick to buster-only, no tanks for me. That's a good enough challenge without slaughtering myself.

Wouldn't be an option for final Sigma since you have to charge the pink buster but it does 1 HP per hit so it would feel like it...in fact, if he was harmed by normal shots you could maybe get off more than one at a time...it could be actually easier.

I have heard that you apparently can beat this boss extremely easily by just standing on the edge of one of the platforms, out of reach from the lightning bolts, and having Mega Man ride it nonstop while shooting Wolf Sigma's head over and over.

This, right here, is why folks will bristle when you suggest X1 Sigma as the hardest boss...he'd be a tough marathon fight...but you can easily do this. Climb up a wall, jump on a platform and just stand on the edge and fire away. Took me years to hear of this one and I felt dumb afterward.

Nice video of it here...but click the arrow link in the upper-right corner since Gamefaqs won't save the timestamp.
https://youtu.be/VqNnkqQgFbc?t=1847s

When fighting him normally on the ground, I would stand dead center under him. Any flame attack will go to the side first so I know which side to zip and I was able to consistently dash the projectiles if I waited until RIGHT after the one that shoots straight downward...I'm not sure why that was the easier timing but it always worked for me.

DevsBro
6 months ago#16
Hotel_Security posted...
Wouldn't be an option for final Sigma since you have to charge the pink buster but it does 1 HP per hit so it would feel like it...in fact, if he was harmed by normal shots you could maybe get off more than one at a time...it could be actually easier.
Yeah, the one exception is Sig. You use the pink charge shot for him.

Peter_19
6 months ago#17
Hotel_Security posted...

This, right here, is why folks will bristle when you suggest X1 Sigma as the hardest boss...he'd be a tough marathon fight...but you can easily do this. Climb up a wall, jump on a platform and just stand on the edge and fire away. Took me years to hear of this one and I felt dumb afterward.

Nice video of it here...but click the arrow link in the upper-right corner since Gamefaqs won't save the timestamp.
https://youtu.be/VqNnkqQgFbc?t=1847s

When fighting him normally on the ground, I would stand dead center under him. Any flame attack will go to the side first so I know which side to zip and I was able to consistently dash the projectiles if I waited until RIGHT after the one that shoots straight downward...I'm not sure why that was the easier timing but it always worked for me.
That's interesting.
For some reason I always assumed that the flames would hit me if I stood in the middle when they started firing, but it's cool to know that you can stand there.

I tried that platform trick the other day, and it worked for a few seconds but then the other platform was like "nope, don't try any tricks" and knocked me down, lol.
I forgot to jump out of the way. =P
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man X
  3. Is this a good straightforward order to beat the bosses in a 'perfect game' run?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

How do i get Hadouken? Side Quest1 Answer
Zero's Buster and Dr.lights buster? General3 Answers
What does the Z buster do? Side Quest2 Answers
How to use passwords? Side Quest1 Answer
Chill Peguin.....lost boots? Enemy/Boss2 Answers