• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man X
  3. Opinion: What do you think is the best Weapon for going through stages?

User Info: BahamutDragoon

BahamutDragoon
2 years ago#1
Which do you prefer? - Results (11 votes)
X-Buster
9.09% (1 vote)
Homing Torpedo
9.09% (1 vote)
Shotgun Ice
0% (0 votes)
Fire Wave
9.09% (1 vote)
Boomerang Cutter
0% (0 votes)
Chameleon Sting
18.18% (2 votes)
Electric Spark
0% (0 votes)
Rolling Shield
0% (0 votes)
Storm Tornado
54.55% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
You can use whatever criteria you please.

My personal choice is Storm Tornado. While kinda slow it can kill most enemies quickly.
Look down.
Look up.

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
2 years ago#2
Storm Tornado by a mile, no contest. So great that it almost feels like cheesing. Actually, it IS cheesing.
Fire Wave after that. Instantly melts everything down like butter and is crazy energy-efficient, as long as you don't mind close range and aren't in Launch Octopus's stage.

Afterwards is a bit trickier.

Chameleon Sting is 3rd if you ask me. Charged shot lets you ignore everything and just run forward, and the attack itself has a wide range, yet if cleverly shot can align three shots at an enemy at once like a shotgun.
Probably Homing Torpedo for #4, you can mindlessly spam shots to take care of stuff while focusing on the platforming aspect and the attack is decently strong.
X-Buster is the good ol' reliable, I think I'd probably say this is the 5th-best weapon, right in the middle. Probably higher if you highly value the fact that this one's inexhaustible.
Shotgun Ice has its niche because the shot itself counts as one powerful blow(unlike Storm Tornado/Fire Wave/X-Buster Helix Shot, which chip enemies' health down with a myriad of weak blows), but against mooks with no invincibility frames it's not notable. At least, you can reflect shots off walls and ride the thing after a charge shot, I guess.

The remaining three are absolutely horrible for stage progress though.

The only good use for Rolling Shield is charging it to quickly fill E-Tanks at the beginning of Armored Armadillo's stage. And killing Final Form Sigma, sure, but that's not what we're looking for here(we're looking at stages). Basically, it's Chameleon Sting, but inferior in every way with the chance of catastrophic failure if you brush against something that won't die from hitting the shield. Not every enemy in the game is those wimpy bats. In addition, the base shot is immensely difficult to use because it travels along the ground, only bounces once, and is gigantic yet the slightest bump into the weakest enemy destroys it while it only deals piddly/middling damage. No thanks.
Boomerang Cutter's awful for an attack. Sure, you can recover items with this, and if you miss your shot you don't expend weapon energy as long as you let the cutter come back to you. Those are the only reasons I rate this better than the worst of them all however, because this thing's horribly weak and the weird trajectory isn't well-suited to attack foes.
Now, Electric Spark? That's atrocious. The concept is interesting, but it's weak as hell and eats away at your weapon energy like crazy for max inefficiency. As an attack it's -barely- better than Boomerang Cutter, but unlike Cutter, this doesn't even have the occasional utility use, and is even more energy-inefficient. Also, the shot's as slow as molasses unless you really try to make use of that surface-spreading feature. Just... no. There's no reason to ever pick this weapon outside of killing Armadillo unless you want to challenge yourself.
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/76125431

User Info: BahamutDragoon

BahamutDragoon
2 years ago#3
Reading your post makes me realize how bad some of the weapons in X2 were. I never thought about using anything but Storm Tornado with the occasional charged Chameleon Sting.

In X2...I'd rather just use the Buster especially after getting the Arm Upgrade. It helps that I can make the jump to get it without the air dash.
Look down.
Look up.
  1. Boards
  2. Mega Man X
  3. Opinion: What do you think is the best Weapon for going through stages?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

How to use passwords? Side Quest1 Answer
How do i get Hadouken? Side Quest1 Answer
Zero's Buster and Dr.lights buster? General3 Answers
What does the Z buster do? Side Quest2 Answers
For hadouken? Side Quest3 Answers