• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  3. Where are the Lufia 1 areas if its in the same world?
Just wondering. This game takes place in the same world but you see none of Lufia 1's towns or anything and its only 90 years later when that game takes place.

User Info: Avvil

Avvil
1 year ago#2
It's a different continent. You don't actually travel around the world when you get the airship -- you're only travelling over the same stretch of ocean which nonsensically wraps as if it were a complete world. I'm not actually sure why that's the case, though. As far as I know, they were already aware of the general scale and positioning of the lands in the world. It could be a miscommunication between different people on the team that didn't have time to get fixed, or it could have just been much easier to design the map that way.
"But...her voice when she's in pain is pretty adorable, you know?"
-Saya, Saya no Uta

User Info: ChrisTurk

ChrisTurk
1 year ago#3
I remember reading somewhere that each of the 3 (3! Only 3!) games take place only in the section that's relevant, and that they all kinda fit together, more or less. So there's more than what we're seeing.

User Info: Then00bAvenger

Then00bAvenger
1 year ago#4
The end of Lufia 2 actually mentions the Lufia 1 area as "West Land" and also mention "Arus" which is an area in Lufia 1. They exist you just can't go there. Apparently 2 takes place in Northland
A refusal of praise is a desire to be praised twice.
(edited 1 year ago)

User Info: Excalibur

Excalibur
1 year ago#5
There's a little girl NPC in one of the port towns that explains this. She talks about how this game takes place in Northland, while Westland ("where kingdoms like Alekia and Sheran are") lies across the ocean. The third game is in Southland, and during the ending of that one Estoland is mentioned, which was probably actually supposed to be Eastland.
A barrel roll would be unnecessary and dangerous.

User Info: ZeroAnt

ZeroAnt
1 year ago#6
So, the title of the game, Estpolis, means...

Well, I googled and I found an interesting post from SinReVi:
http://www.lufiaworld.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=15164913#p15164913

Also,
https://twitter.com/MIYATA_ESTPOLIS/status/9460376484

It's roughly translated to Eastern City.

Imagine having made the first game. Main story is located on Westland. With backstory (soon to be prequel) happened on Northland. Let's choose a title for it. How about: Eastern City?
It is time for your daily dose of smile.
^_____________________^

User Info: SinReVi

SinReVi
1 year ago#7
Oh wow that is an old Lufia World post XD Lufia 1 takes place in the west of the world, Westland. Lufia II is in Northland.

Anyway, I met Masahide Miyata (Lufia series director/scenario writer) a while ago and he explained to me the world looks like this:

--------------Northland

Westland---Midland---Estoland

-------------Southland

(basically, I asked if Estpolis was the name of the entire game world since there are non-japanese fans who think it is, but I never saw any real confirmation that Estpolis really IS the name of the world so I asked him about it.
He then started explaining the world was divided in 4 continents (in the north,south,west and east) I quickly asked about Midland and he showed/explained it exists in the center of the other 4 continents as shown above.
He said Estpolis is not the name of the world but means "capital of the east" and is in the east continent. Which, is Estoland. Not Eastland.

----

slightly offtopic but:

on the topic of Estoland and Eastland
(since there has been some confusion through the years about whether or not they are the same)

(quoted from linked Lufia World post I made in 2010)
Known continents in the world:
Westland (Lufia I)
Northland (Lufia II, Lufia DS, Lufia RoL)
Southland (Lufia TLR)
Eastland (mentioned by a NPC in Siantao in Lufia TLR)
Estoland (mentioned in Lufia TLR and Lufia DS. Estoland is known as the unexplored continent)
Midland (mentioned by a NPC in Lufia TLR.)
In Lufia DS, Jaffrey says he thinks there are more undiscovered lands and that there are a lot of different civilizations out there.( He also says that "most people who go to the sea don't come back so there isn't a lot information" <_<)
Also checked the Japanese versions, Eastland was spelled different than Estoland, so Estoland is not Eastland.

But waaait, now that we know Estoland is in the east, where is Eastland?
Even though Estoland (エストランド)and Eastland (イースト ランド)are written different, suggesting they're different continents, I consider the term "Eastland" retconned for now because of new information that came out after Lufia TLR.

-I've only seen the term "Eastland twice. It's mentioned by a npc in Lufia TLR once.
the other mention of "Eastland" I saw was... in a photo of a Lufia III Ruin Chasers document that was for sale on yahoo auction.

https://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/lufia-3-design-doc-arts-2.jpg

It's blurry, but it says somewhere "In this world there are Northland, Southland, Westland, Eastland"
No mention of "Estoland" here. This document was dated 1997.

Lufia TLR was released in 2001 and at that point: Eastland and Estoland are both mentioned in-game. However, it is not mentioned where Estoland is located.

Then, in a developer interview about Lufia DS (2010) in a magazine, the world was explained like this: Northland in the north, Southland in the south, Westland in the west and... Estoland in the east (not Eastland which is not mentioned at all!)

I think Miyata in the magazine also confirmed again that Estpolis means capital of the east, and if I remember correctly also suggested some secret might be hidden in Estoland?
Iirc other interesting things about the world mentioned were: The Lufia series was originally created to be a trilogy, and while Lufia I had Westland and Lufia II is in Northland, Lufia III was going to take place in the eastern continent Estoland. (unfortunately, Lufia III was never released)

-
Therefore, my theory is one of these scenarios happened:

• At one point of time, the continent in the east was going to be called Eastland. Estoland didn't exist until Lufia TLR. But at that time (2001) it wasn't decided where Estoland is located, and Eastland was later replaced by the term Estoland later on, even though Estoland's location was never mentioned ingame.

• At one point of time, the continent in the east was going to be called Eastland but then changed to Estoland. But someone forgot to take the mention of Eastland out of that (easy to miss) npc dialogue in TLR because of oversight.

Conclusion as of now, 2020: "Estoland" is in the east. Not "Eastland". They are the same continent after all.

Eh... and as for a in-universe explanation. The npc who mentions "Eastland" is a kid. And for a kid who grows up in Southland it might make more sense by kid logic to think if the continents are named after north/south/west locations, that the continent in the east would most likely be named Eastland?
Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW!!! ~ Nintendo DS ~
(edited 1 year ago)

ZeroAnt
1 year ago#8
Anyway, I met Masahide Miyata (Lufia series director/scenario writer) a while ago
It sounds awesome! Did it feel as awesome as it sounds?

What made you have a meeting with him in the first place?

Even though Estoland (エストランド)and Eastland (イースト ランド)are written different, suggesting they're different continents, I consider the term "Eastland" retconned for now because of new information that came out after Lufia TLR.

Maybe it was just a case of missed typo. The director/scenario lead might meant Estoland since the beginning, mentioning it along the other continents. If someone just heard it verbally, the exact writing might be missed down the line. So, the dialog typist and proofreader might not feel the name as incorrect, as it is a valid word by its own and suits well with the other continents' names. That's my hypothesis.

I still lament why they called the game with a place name that is not used in the main plot even though your explanation about the planned trilogy has revealed the possible reason behind the title.

Eh... and as for a in-universe explanation. The npc who mentions "Eastland" is a kid. And for a kid who grows up in Southland it might make more sense by kid logic to think if the continents are named after north/south/west locations, that the continent in the east would most likely be named Eastland?

Eh. Your explanation sounds interesting...

It is time for your daily dose of smile.
^_____________________^

User Info: SinReVi

SinReVi
11 months ago#9
ZeroAnt posted...
It sounds awesome! Did it feel as awesome as it sounds?

What made you have a meeting with him in the first place?

Yeah, it was great!

In short, I met him through a online friend who's had a Japanese Lufia fansite for about 20 years.
Since I was going to Tokyo about a year ago, I asked if she wanted to meet. She then asked me if I would like it if she'd invite Yasunori Shiono and Yukio Nakajima (music composers) as well (of course I'd like that!) Some time later I got a message that Masahide Miyata was going to join too =D

Then later last year a Lufia concert was announced for 2020, so I went to Japan again in February this year (which is when I asked Masahide Miyata about the Estpolis name)

Lufia - Curse of the Sinistrals
~ OUT NOW!!! ~ Nintendo DS ~

ZeroAnt
6 months ago#10
That's great. I love to hear how your story started from 20+ years ago, and then continues until just recently (last year!)

:)
  1. Boards
  2. Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals
  3. Where are the Lufia 1 areas if its in the same world?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A