• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them

User Info: mitsguy2001

mitsguy2001
4 years ago#1
Something I've always wondered about: why does the game have both the Magic Cape and the Cane of Byrna? They always seemed redundant to me. Is there anything that you can do having both of them that you can't do with one? It's especially interesting that you basically need the Cape to get the Cane.

User Info: Gali1of1the1sea

Gali1of1the1sea
4 years ago#2
The items are essentially similar and you probably won't notice any real difference between them during a typical game play. I don't know why they thought to include two similar items like this in the game.

Though there are a few key differences between these items, for the record.

- The Magic Cape turns you invisible, so enemies will not notice you, walk towards you, etc.
- You can bypass those bounce balls with the Magic Cape, as needed to get one of the Pieces of Heart.
- The Cane of Byrna will do damage to any enemy that its forcefield touches (the same amount of damage as the Wooden Sword)

Additionally, according to assassin17's Monster/Attack stats guide, the Cane of Byrna costs 16 MP to activate, then 4 more MP every 24 frames (20 MP every 2 seconds). On the other hand, the Magic Cape costs 1 MP every 4 frames (15 MP every second). So the Cane of Byrna is much more expensive to activate, but the Magic Cape drains MP faster.

So if you're just using them for the invincibility, use the Magic Cape if you only need it for 3 seconds or fewer, and the Cane of Byrna for any length of time longer than that.
No true gamer is satisfied with merely beating a game 100%

User Info: TyVulpine

TyVulpine
4 years ago#3
I get the Cape to get the Heart Piece, and the Cane just to get 100% completion.
Fall down, go boom...
Life is like a box of chocolates. Most of it is crap.

User Info: Bsw1982

Bsw1982
4 years ago#4
Either is useful in getting a certain heart piece at death mountain, not talking the blue bounce ball room with spikes, you'll need the hammer though

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
4 years ago#5
I don't know why, but I never realized you can still use your sword while wearing the cape. I imagine you can also use your sword to add to the damage that Cane of Byrna causes too.
The Mario Paint Composer program shines here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBr7Ta-t-NM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic01Vhiyrb4

User Info: TriforceSD

TriforceSD
4 years ago#6
Oh and I remember first trying to walk that cave to get the Cane of Byrna. I had not discovered the cape yet, so I just had to take damage and refill with red potion. Fond memories... I probably didn't worry about dying on the way out of the cave--and might have just saved and quit after getting the cane.
The Mario Paint Composer program shines here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBr7Ta-t-NM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic01Vhiyrb4

User Info: VARidley

VARidley
4 years ago#7
With the Cane of Byrna turned on, Link cannot use his sword spinning attack. The ring circling him is the same as the ring that circles him a single time during that spin attack.
If you play Armored Core 3 for PS2, lissen up!! Having trouble plowing through that Arena? Gimme a message, or go to the game board and respond to my posts!

User Info: Drumguy

Drumguy
4 years ago#8
TriforceSD posted...
Oh and I remember first trying to walk that cave to get the Cane of Byrna. I had not discovered the cape yet, so I just had to take damage and refill with red potion. Fond memories....

Me too. I used to wait until I got about 12-13 hearts and just hoof it through the spikes and use a red potion on the way out after I got the cane.
"Games aren't supposed to be fun - they're dangerous." - Dot Matrix, ReBoot
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers