• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. While Waiting For... I'm Playing This.

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
10 months ago#1
Hello Lagoon Gamers... hehehe, not many of you out there, huh. Bah, that's okay.

So yeah, I think I have a couple of weeks before GAW GP starts and I wanted to play something old. the white apes are so reminiscent of the film "Congo." I should watch that again.

Anyway, I couldn't open the first chest I cam across. So most chest don't have their own button do they? There I was pushing the "A" then the "B" and neither opening the chest. Sigh... I had to refer to a FAQs. It has its own key stroke. Well lah dee dah!

At any rate I managed to rescue the ambling Giles. LOL, here he is afraid to leave the cave alone after having the big oysters to go spelunking in the first place; and now he's afraid to go home alone. So afraid he's dragging his butt. Oye! LOL

The boss of the cave Samson... earth shaker that he was, didn't have to concern himself with losing his hair. Once he lands he's a sitting turducken.

Why did I think this game was Willow or Bahamut Lagoon or something? Oh well...

Hago all... :)
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

Golden_Torizo
10 months ago#2
Okay, so I just completed this game again. Q: why did Thor give me sooooo much trouble? His battle was more annoying than anything. Thor the god of Thunder used fire as protection. oh Vuuuulcaaan. Thunder wasn't even a viable option in the battle. In any boss battle for that matter. magics were of no use. You made do with the swords and healing items.

The game has 35 levels and of course I was maxed out when I went up against Thor. The thing was... Thor was encircled by fire floor runners that spread out followed by blue pellets of some kind. The fire droplets pushed you back with amazing force. A flying jump slash did me little to no good. Somehow I made it close enough to give Thor three or four hits and end his first formation. Hoooowever, he then transformed into a White Phoenix carrying a crystal target. Oye! This was so annoying until I stopped and took a close look at Suraht's LP of Lagoon. It is true that in most vid games where you stand can mean life or death. So I switched my stance and the game went much better.

You do get rings to aid you in battles, and as mentioned health aids. The usual stuff. It's a quick game as they go. Lots of cave work, not much to do in towns. Flaws! Oh you bet cha! but a fun game at any rate. Still gets the 3.85 from last play. I don't hate or appreciate anything more or less than before. And having just come out of WBIMW where some mentioned flaws... this is another old school game. They were flawed. What do you want?

Hago all... be safe out there everyone.
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: Kuro-chan_101

Kuro-chan_101
9 months ago#3
Yeah, I think you need to (pretty much) be at level 35 to get through the final boss. Even though the math is bit weird for attack and defense, every point can make quite the difference.

If I had to pick between which version of this game is better, I would go with the x68k. It is presented so much better, the art style is far more consistent, the combat system uses bump mechanics rather than point-blank sword swings (making use of the fact you should HAVE a SHIELD), magic can be used on bosses (Seriously, it can). However, I think the snes version is superior in a couple spots:
- The damage calculation for melee damage is a bit weird with the x68k version and tends to be all over the place: You can do 1 dmg. one bump and 150 the next, depending on your attack value. The SNES one is bit more consistent with it being a straight-forward.
- By combining crystals and staves, instead of sword and staves, you are not as limited to what magic you can use on the go if you plan to keep your melee power at maximum. The x68k still has you collect crystals anyway as part of using magic, so why no thought of making them equippable is another matter...
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYpKlIc_fg <- Everything you need to know about DLC nonsense.
- 8th gen. Game Consoles = Anti-consumer. Boycott, today!

Golden_Torizo
9 months ago#4
@Kuro_chan_101 thank you for your input. "Bump Mechanics?" New term for me. Tell me more...

Hago :)

Kuro-chan_101
9 months ago#5
When I say 'Bump mechanics' I mean the player literally runs their character into the enemy to do damage, rather than attack with a specific button. This is often attributed to first run of Ys, but other games like Hydlide did it before them. There is often strategy to this as well: Direct frontal assaults while the monster faces the player is likely to result in the player taking damage, but off-center hits or hits while the monster is facing a different direction are far more successful.

There is considerable speculation that the first (x68k) version of Lagoon is ZOOM's idea of making an Ys-like game, since it shares a lot of common things:
- Limit of one of each usable item.
- Magic system and Ring system (more based of Ys-II and III).
- A tiered equipment system that progressively improves the weapons and armor the player wears.
- Bump mechanics for combat (Ys you just run around, but with Lagoon, the player's weapon must be drawn, first)
- Recover HP by standing still (Lagoon MP can be recovered in the same way, but the sword must be sheathed)

The drawing/sheathing of the sword is a lot simpler than it sounds. The sword is out while the attack button is held down.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYpKlIc_fg <- Everything you need to know about DLC nonsense.
(edited 9 months ago)

Golden_Torizo
9 months ago#6
Hmm... doesn't catch my fancy. Tell me though, can enemies employ this in a game even if the characters don't? I ask because in GAW, there is an enemy that on occasion will charge the hero.

Thank you for the 411.

Hago...

Kuro-chan_101
9 months ago#7
The monster behaviour in the snes and x68k versions of Lagoon are fairly similar (though the x68k forgot to include a monster; while it appears in the end credits, it never appears in the game). So some random move around, throw projectiles, mildly move toward the player, etc. Most of the enemy changes appear to be in the graphics.

With sword out and ramming into enemies, either the monster will be knocked around or the player will, depending on the angle of the approach and the direction of the monster. To cast magic, the player presses jump and sword at the same time.
  1. Boards
  2. Lagoon
  3. While Waiting For... I'm Playing This.
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A

Moon stone help? General1 Answer
Sword Length? Side Quest1 Answer
Where can I get moon stones? Side Quest1 Answer