• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Equinox
  3. Hidden Room Discovered In The Ghost Ship

User Info: loaf

loaf
13 years ago#1
I just thought that I’d let everyone know, a new room has been discovered within the Ghost Ship “dungeon”. Its room 07-02 and it can only be accessed using a cheat. The cheat is:

7E0F1CCA

I was able to access this room by using the ZSNES emulator, and by going to the “Cheat” option and entering the code show exactly as it is above (no spaces or dashes).

Also, be sure that you are in the Ghost Ship with this code enabled as going through any other door in any other dungeon will cause you to warp to random spots within the current dungeon you are in.

This was originally discovered by someone who runs a fan site devoted to this game, his site is:

http://www.flyingomelette.com/equinox/0702.html

A video of this room can be seen here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=41wc5P-zI3k

User Info: Ultimortal

Ultimortal
13 years ago#2
That's interesting. I once tried to place myself into the unused fortress rooms in Kid Icarus, but instead of leftovers I only found empty default rooms. This looks a bit like a default room as well, either forgotten or never used.

Tangentially, I saw your video of how the graphical glitch works (where Glendaal stands behind a block and it causes a monster to disappear), and it looks like the programmer was either lazy there, or couldn't figure a solution out. :p Well, I can't either since you'd likely need separate layers for all the blocks and enemies, which you can't get on the SNES.
Original freeware games and more: http://www.remar.se/daniel

User Info: Jigglysaint

Jigglysaint
13 years ago#3
Yeah I've already seen it via pointer hacking.

Actually, the reason why in other levels it will warp you to a random room is because of the way levels are set up. You see there is one big pointer table with all the rooms. That's in excess of 256 rooms, but the game can only load 256 rooms in memory at a time(possibly less). Each level has a pointer to a location on the pointer list where room 00 starts for that dungeon. The first dungeon starts where the first room is, and the second level starts after about 32 rooms and so forth. That means if you change, say, Galadonia's pointer start to that of the Ghost Ship, you will play the Ghost Ship except with Galadonia's graphics, and there will not be any rocking or floor conveyors. If you want the doors and items to match up, you change those pointers too.

loaf
13 years ago#4
Ultimortal: Thanks! Yeah, I thought that was very interesting as well! It really makes you wonder what other things are hidden deep within the game. Also, that video displaying the graphical glitch isn’t my channel so I can’t take credit for finding that one haha.

Jigglysaint: Thank you for the explanation on the set up of how the dungeons work. That is quite interesting! Wow that would be really cool to play the same levels but with different graphical textures, I really wish I knew how to hack as I’d make a version of the game where the levels would be reversed. For example, Galadonia would appear as the Ice Palace, Tori would appear as the Ghost Ship and so on.

I’m curious about how the music in the game works. Is there a way to assign different music to different dungeons?

Jigglysaint
13 years ago#5
There should be a way to assign music and graphics to a dungeon, but so far I have not found it. I'll keep working on it though.

Jigglysaint
13 years ago#6
Hmm, it seems that I found some stray level data from Tori. From the looks of it, it appears it should be in a 7x7 room, but the data has no level header.

loaf
13 years ago#7
Interesting find….I wonder how many other areas are hidden away and in how many other dungeons. By the way, would you mind if I asked you to quickly describe what a “header” is? (that is, if you don’t mind).
  1. Boards
  2. Equinox
  3. Hidden Room Discovered In The Ghost Ship
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A