• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. So, how common are each of the animal buddy tokens, exactly?

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
4 months ago#1
There are four different animal tokens corresponding to each of the four animal buddies you ride in this game. Get three of each and you go to a bonus stage where you get lots of lives. Everyone who's played this game knows that.

However, one question people usually don't ask is this: Which of the tokens is the most common, and which is the rarest? Of course, you probably could find this info if you peruse a guide, but it definitely won't be focused on this particular bit of info, it would be tedious to search all over the guide just for the relevant info, and even then the relevant info might be missing, as is the case for tokens gotten in bonus rooms.

I was intrigued by this question(I'd always assumed that the rarest was Winky's token, though I didn't have any concrete proof for that assumption, it just felt so), and it was time I gave a run-around for this game again anyway, so I went and counted every single token in all the stages and noted them down. Here are the results.
(inb4 someone mentions a token which I missed/didn't know the existence of until now, in which case, kudos to you)

KONGO JUNGLE
Jungle Hijinxs
Expresso(just after halfway point, under a Necky)
1 of your choice(prize of 2nd bonus room)

Ropey Rampage
Rambi(just after first DK Barrel, jump back left from the swinging rope)
Winky(just after the N of KONG, uncover the buried tire, then use it to jump on a high tree and uncover it from the next buried patch)

Reptile Rumble
Enguarde(just after the third bonus room, bounce on one of the two jumping Kritters to reach it)

Coral Capers
Expresso(vertical chute after halfway point, guarded by two Chomps; go through right wall in the alcoves to reach)

Barrel Canoon Canyon
Winky(right after the Barrel Cannon at the beginning that uncovers a DK Barrel, head right, then take a leap of faith mid-air jump off the right cliff to reach a ledge with it; mentioned in one of Cranky's hints)
Rambi(right after the second DK Barrel of the stage(it's the one you land on if you take the big shortcut at the beginning of the stage), head right to find three Kritters jumping, get a boost off them to get to the trees above and get the token to the right, which incidentally also leads to a second shortcut which takes you to the halfway point)
Enguarde(in 2nd bonus room; take the left banana trail)

Total -
Expresso: 2
Rambi: 2
Enguarde: 2
Winky: 2
Free choice: 1

MONKEY MINES
Winky's Walkway
Expresso(a few platforms after the bonus room, you can see it up high, guarded by a Zinger. You need to have Winky with you to collect it)

Mine Cart Carnage
Enguarde(right before the halfway point, make a small tap-jump across the gap to avoid jumping over it)

Bouncy Bonanza
Rambi(push the first tire you find right back to the beginning of the stage, it's above the entrance)
Winky(potential prize in 1st bonus room)

Stop & Go Station
Winky(in 2nd bonus room; take the right banana trail)

Millstone Mayhem
Enguarde(prize of 2nd bonus room)

Total -
Expresso: 1
Rambi: 1
Free choice: N/A

VINE VALLEY
Vulture Culture
Expresso(prize of 1st bonus room)

Tree Top Town
Expresso(at the very end of the stage, floating above a Zinger; requires a mid-air jump to collect)

Forest Frenzy
Rambi(prize of 1st bonus room)
Enguarde(inside 2nd bonus room)

Temple Tempest
Rambi #1(at the start, bounce above the entrance with the first Gnawty you meet after luring him back)
Rambi #2(prize of 2nd bonus room)

Orang-Utan Gang
All four animal tokens, one each(prize in first bonus room(the one where you fly all the way back to under the beginning with Expresso); token order goes Winky-Rambi-Enguarde-Expresso)
Enguarde(right after exiting above bonus room, use the tire to open the left buried patch)

Clam City
Winky(right after the N of KONG, there's the first Clambo that spits five pearls at once; the token is in a small alcove to the left and under it)

Total -
Expresso: 3
Rambi: 4
Enguarde: 3
Free choice: N/A

GORILLA GLACIER
Snow Barrel Blast
Winky(prize of 1st bonus room)
Rambi(right after 3rd bonus room, suspended above a Barrel Cannon and guarded by two Zingers)

Slipslide Ride
Enguarde(right after the halfway point, uncover the buried patch under the blue rope)
Expresso(in 3rd bonus room)

Ice Age Alley
Expresso(in 1st bonus room)

Croctopus Chase
Winky(in the 'crossroads' section after the halfway point, in the lower-right corner)

Torchlight Trouble
Rambi(prize of 2nd bonus room)

Rope Bridge Rumble

Total -
Rambi: 2
Enguarde: 1

KREMKROC INDUSTRIES INC.
Oil Drum Alley
Winky(potential prize in 2nd bonus room, if you sacrifice the super-secret bonus room inside it)

Trick Track Trek
Winky(right next to the 3rd bonus room barrel)

Elevator Antics
Expresso(in 2nd bonus room)

Poison Pond
Expresso(in the shortcut to the left side of the second set of three spinning mincers)

Mine Cart Madness
Rambi(in 1st bonus room)
Enguarde(right after exiting 1st bonus room and getting the O of KONG, go down with the mine cart to find another mine cart that leads to it)

Blackout Basement
Enguarde(suspended in mid-air under three platforms, utilize a mid-air jump to get)

Total -

CHIMP CAVERNS
Tanked-Up Trouble
Enguarde(remain on the first platform for as long as you could while collecting all the fuel barrels, it will eventually take you to it)

Manic Mincers
Surprisingly... none!

Misty Mine
Rambi(early in the stage, after using the rope to traverse the gap with a Gnawty-generating barrel, one of the Slippa-generating barrels will have the token underneath it, destroy the barrel with a TNT Barrel to access the token)
Expresso(in plain sight when you exit the 1st bonus room, get it using the Expresso you got from said bonus room)

Loopy Lights
Expresso(in 2nd bonus room)

Platform Perils
Enguarde(prize of 2nd bonus room)

Total -
Winky: 0

FINAL TOTAL FOR ENTIRE GAME -
Expresso: 12
Rambi: 11
Enguarde: 12
Winky: 10
Free choice: 4

So, my gut feeling turned out to be right after all: Winky's token is the rarest, though not by much. I'm guessing that the total lack of Winky tokens in the last world, as well as the fact that if you know your stuff you're never collecting the Winky token in Oil Drum Alley over the 6 lives in the super-secret bonus room, contributes to this feeling.

Other points of interest:
  • Manic Mincers is the only stage in the game to not have even a single token in it.
  • Not counting the cases where you get to choose which token you want, Temple Tempest is the only stage which offers you two of the same token. Well, Orang-utan Gang could also count, but it's not guaranteed for the latter since if the Winky or Rambi token you got completes a set, then you're not seeing that 2nd Enguarde token.
  • Thanks to the quirk of having a bonus stage that offers 1 of each token, Orang-utan Gang has the most tokens in it, with 5.
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/77111212
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
3 months ago#2
One week later... I actually found a token I missed the first time around.

It was in Manic Mincers. And here's the kicker; the token is a Winky token(after going through the open cave holding the G of KONG, go up to the top level of the rock formation, it's visible off to the left side).

So, actually, every stage in the game has at least one token in it, and there are 11 Winky tokens total, the same number as Rambi's. I guess the contributing factor to my misconception(besides the usually-skipped one in Oil Drum Alley) would be that Winky tokens are usually not visible in plain sight to an average player who's not specifically searching around for the tokens(as opposed to at least 2 Rambi tokens being blatantly visible right in the middle of the stage).
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/77111212
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: LordOfDabu

LordOfDabu
3 months ago#3
Interesting stuff! Thanks for compiling it.
I have discovered a truly marvelous proof, which this signature is too narrow to contain.
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. So, how common are each of the animal buddy tokens, exactly?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A