• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. DKC's Star Wars/Indiana Jones nods seem underrated

User Info: 2001mark

2001mark
9 months ago#1
Just a throwaway observation... but after all these years, I still barely read anything much at all about this.

The Ewok village nod? Temple of Doom mine cart chase? Those are fairly iconic levels for this game, & yet barely get any copy.
I feel like the Rare team deserve shoutout for incorporating their fandom into their game. It helps place DKC in its time - echo of the Lucas era of SW & Indy - & keeps this game as nod to its inspirations.

Even the manual calls out the Tree Top Village or whatever it's called as not sure who used to live here wink wink.

User Info: MrPenguin7

MrPenguin7
7 months ago#2
Interesting observation.
I always thought tree top top town reminded me of the wookie/ewok forests too.
Upon a quick google search, it seems someone had a similar thought here: http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=899

I never associated the mine cart stages to temple of doom, but could be likely. Lots of pop culture ends up influencing itself. It'd be cool if someone could interview the original Rare team to confirm, but unfortunately things like that rarely happen.
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. DKC's Star Wars/Indiana Jones nods seem underrated
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A