• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. at 99%, looking for some nudges in the right direction

User Info: skater43

skater43
1 year ago#1
First off, playing the SFC version. Don't think it makes a difference for this topic, but throw it out there just in case. Currently at 99%, missing the secrets in Tanked Up Trouble and Oil Drum Alley (or whatever they're called in my version; I can't read Japanese. But they were much cheaper to buy than the US versions). Which, poking around a little on this board, seems to be a common theme, or those seem to be the hardest levels to finish off. Now, I could just look up in a guide where the secrets are, but I'd rather find them myself (was at 96% for the past couple of days but found two secrets today, which I was pretty stoked about). However, been working on them for several hours over the past week or and am drawing blanks, so I'm looking for some nudges in the right direction. Looking for vague, general hints, just to give me something/somewhere to focus on: "Rambi is your friend", "you need both TNT barrels", "it takes a leap of faith", things along those lines.

SPOILERS below for those trying to find everything on their own as I mention some of the secrets I've found.

Near as I can tell/remember, there's only one secret in Tanked Up Trouble and I haven't found it yet. Have collected all the letters and got the gold Engarde, but pretty sure neither of those count as secrets (I know the letters don't, but mention it to show I have ridden the conveyor belt/whatever you want to call it to the end of the line). I'm thinking it's near the end, but I've rolled/leapt of the various platforms at the end and not found anything. Jumped into the abyss in a few other places as well, including the beginning platforms.

For Oil Drum Alley, I've blown up the oil can near the beginning and jumped in that hole. Blown open the wall near the second TNT . Found Rambi and taken him all the way back to the beginning of the stage as well as to the end. And found the secret in the wall shortly past the halfway point/where you get Rambi which has the letter N. Based on the fact that most of the secrets I've found are in the first half of the stage or so, it would seem logical that the last one is closer to the end, but I've tried jumping in various pits and as I said, took Rambi to the end to test some walls but nothing yet.

So, any vague hints/points in the right direction you guys can offer would be appreciated.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"
Oh, vague hints, huh? Okay. Time to channel my inner DKC2 Cranky Kong.

It just so happens that the ones you're missing seem to be some of the most insidiously hidden bonus rooms in this game, but whatever. I'll try to keep it as vague as possible while still being helpful.

Oil Drum Alley: This one's a twofer, that's what she is. Check back on the bonuses you've already found, you might be missing something...

Tanked Up Trouble: Kick off the level by abandoning all common sense to be rewarded.
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/77111212

skater43
1 year ago#3
Thanks, Distant. Exactly what I was looking for. Got the Tanked one (had a feeling I'd be jumping/dropping into the abyss, just a question of where) and I'll take a crack at Oil Can prolly tomorrow. The fact that if you get three single bananas in the second bonus in that nets you a barrel you can toss/break the right wall has caught my eye, but I haven't figured out if that's where I need to look further or I just haven't done things right yet. Using the two TNT barrels to blow up the first oil can is also on my to-do list. But at least I can stop jumping down random pits at the end of the stage. :)
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

skater43
1 year ago#4
Success! Thanks again, Distant. I'd noticed you got a barrel in the second Oil Can secret for matching three bananas before, rather than an actual banana, but couldn't figure out the significance. And the fact that you could break the right wall seemed odd, but it wasn't until just now that I happened to be next to the door, and thus went through it that I figured things out (interestingly, I had to spell out Donkey Kong Country to get all the 1-up balloons, despite the fact that the game was called Super Donkey Kong in Japan. And even though the various regions released the game within days of each other, there were some tweaks made to the Japanese version to make it easier). Most of the pieces were in place, I just couldn't see how they went together. But there was a logic to most of these secrets. Take the Tanked Up one I had trouble with. It wasn't one you'd find accidentally. I mean, had they put the first fuel barrel up high so you had to jump for it, players could have missed it and gotten to the secret that way. Likewise, while some secrets were down pits, they weren't ones coming off a difficult jump where players might often miss it or something, thus finding the secret. You had to be more deliberate in finding them. These last couple were headscratchers and while my final game time was 8:04, I spent a lot longer than that tracking down all the secrets enduring who knows how many game overs and deaths trying things out, checking pits and such.

Do have copies of Super Donkey Kong 2 and 3 as well, though don't know if I'm going to jump right into them. Word on the street is you have to "finish" the bonuses in those games to have the secrets count, so we'll see how that dynamic plays out. But had fun with this. Never got into the DKC games when they first came out, though I really enjoyed DK64. Glad I did pick these up, though and hopefully this topic can help future players who get stuck on those last couple of secrets.

User Info: 348725854

1 year ago#5
I found both secrets difficult to find, but the Tanked Up Trouble one was the hardest along with one stop and go station secret.

User Info: Nicholas Harvey

Nicholas Harvey
10 months ago#6
The arrows in the second Oil Drum Alley bonus area, along with the solid wall on the right side, should be your hint that this bonus area has a secret. I actually stumbled upon it by complete accident when I was a kid.

In the first DKC you do not have to complete bonus stages to get the percentage points from them; you merely have to visit them. This changes in the sequels, in which you must complete challenges in order to win special coins which will ultimately be spent on unlocking all of the stages of the two games' respective Lost Worlds.
Current Mario Kart ranks (http://www.mariokart64.com/):
SMK- Emp C, MK64- Elite B, MKSC- Hero C, MKDD- Hero D, MKDS- Exp D, MKW- Hero D, MK7- Int B
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. at 99%, looking for some nudges in the right direction
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A