• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. Shigeru Miyamoto's infamous quote

User Info: 94067

10 years ago#31

Miyamoto must have been bitter back when he said it but he seems to have become more mature over the years...

He was frustrated at how they wanted him to make Yoshi's Island the same visual style as DKC.
21 games reviewed to date; latest review: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), Wild Guns (SNES/VC)
http://backloggery.com/94067

User Info: Nicholas Harvey

Nicholas Harvey
10 years ago#32
Donkey Kong Country was an excellent game, certainly not shallow or mediocre, it took good concepts from Super Mario World and expanded on them-- instead of just having Yoshi to ride, you had Rambi, Expresso, Enguarde, and Winky, each helping the Kongs in a different way. Donkey and Diddy control differently, unlike Mario and Luigi in SMW. Donkey's hand slap is not only a weapon against enemies but also uncovers buried troves of bananas. The spirit of hiding secrets was as alive as ever in DKC, with many more hidden bonus rooms than SMW, found in almost every stage, and the game even rewarded you for finding them by increasing your %. DKC also provided warp barrels and very well hidden extra life balloons to reward diligent explorers. You're also timed in DKC, making it much easier to keep track of your speed runs. The extra Kongs-- Cranky, Funky, and Candy-- added a social element to the game, you could visit them not only for their favors but also to listen to the things they have to say. SMW did not give you people to you could turn to.
And did I ever mention the MUSIC?
Current Mario Kart ranks:
SMK- Hero D, MK64- Elite B, MKSC- Hero C, MKDD- Hero D, MKDS- Expert E, MKW- Hero D

User Info: 94067

10 years ago#33

Donkey and Diddy control differently, unlike Mario and Luigi in SMW

I never once used Donkey's ground slap. I didn't even know about it until I did it by accident. Also, I've only played the Advance port, but did Luigi flutter in the SNES version of SMW? That's a pretty major control difference.

The spirit of hiding secrets was as alive as ever in DKC, with many more hidden bonus rooms than SMW

Except that they're hidden terribly. Many of them are placed directly off cliffs and you have to hope for the best when you jump off them. I don't mind the odd life-saving barrel here and there, but it's done to an unreasonable degree in DKC. The sequel very much improves on this, though.
21 games reviewed to date; latest review: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), Wild Guns (SNES/VC)
http://backloggery.com/94067

User Info: Mr_DNA

Mr_DNA
10 years ago#34
Also, I've only played the Advance port, but did Luigi flutter in the SNES version of SMW? That's a pretty major control difference.

Nope, in the SNES version, Luigi was just a mere palette swap of Mario. He didn't even have his own sprite, let alone physics.
oh honey, oh please, it's just a machine

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
10 years ago#35
Except that they're hidden terribly. Many of them are placed directly off cliffs and you have to hope for the best when you jump off them. I don't mind the odd life-saving barrel here and there, but it's done to an unreasonable degree in DKC. The sequel very much improves on this, though.

Can't agree more. I could 100% DKC2 by myself as a kid(with a little help from Cranky), but I had to look up a guide for DKC1(especially the infamous 'secret room within a secret room').

Both are great games, though. That's undeniable.
Prozium - As long as one may choose to take it by one's own volition, it would be a miracle drug for mankind.
Proud Winner of CyberSD's Fire Emblem Trivia.

User Info: Deku20

Deku20
10 years ago#36

VersusMothra posted...
I'd have to agree with Mr. Miyamoto. I think the only reason he apologized was because the game was selling well and it might have caused tension within Nintendo.

To be completely honest, I was blown away by the graphics of DKC in 1994. Everyone was. However, I didn't really sit down and play the game till I got an SNES in the early 2000's, as I'd been a Genesis owner during the console wars. I sat down, played it beginning to end and I have to say: bar some good music and atmosphere, Donkey Kong Country is a mediocre game in a beautiful package. As far as gameplay and level design it was more linear than the Mario or Sonic titles.

The kids who grew up with SNES remember it fondly, I just remember it as an average game with great music (admittedly Gang Plank Galleon is awesome).

Did you just say that Donkey Kong Country is more linear than Mario? You realize they're both 2-D platformers, right? Even still, Donkey Kong has bonus barrels, secret caves, hidden animal crates, golden letters, gold/silver tokens, shortcuts, interchangable characters, 3-D graphics, and one screen co-op. Mario had pipes and mushrooms. Donkey Kong is, hands down, better in every way. The controls are tighter, the challenges require thought rather than dumb luck or memorization, and Donkey Kong Country had actual bosses. I'll admit that the first game recycled a boss or two, but the second and third had originals all the way through. Mario has the same lizard coming after him time after time, and you always kill him in the same way. Also, I'll point out that every installment of Donkey Kong Country introduced a new character. Diddy, Dixie, Kiddy, etc. Mario just has the same two plumbers every time. Use reason rather than bias, list the facts, and then tell me Donkey Kong Country was worse than Super Mario in the SNES age.

User Info: BettyUboa

BettyUboa
10 years ago#37
I like how I was proven right.

The truth always prevails in the end, now doesn't it?

Baseless slander from those that can't stand Mario's success over the flop of a generic attempt to rip it off.

Isn't that sad?
Die the death! Sentence to death! Great equalizer is the death!
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6749/trollkastel.png

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
10 years ago#38
I agree with Miyamoto. His perception of the game is the same as I've had all these years. It's a nice looking game, it's just not fun.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!!
- Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. Shigeru Miyamoto's infamous quote
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A