Shigeru Miyamoto's infamous quote

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. Shigeru Miyamoto's infamous quote

User Info: 1000redips

1000redips
8 years ago#1
“Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

What's your opinion on that quote? Do you agree with him? Disagree with him? To me, it sounds like he had a chip on shoulder.

User Info: 94067

8 years ago#2

To me, it sounds like he had a chip on shoulder.

No ****, he was making Yoshi's Island at the time and had a lot of pressure to make it look like Donkey Kong Country.

Personally, I find it true to a point, especially with the more "casual" crowd games like Call of Duty bring in.
17 games reviewed to date; latest review: Glory of Heracles (DS), Banjo Kazooie: Grunty's Revenge (GBA)
http://backloggery.com/94067/sig.gif

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
8 years ago#3
I disagree with him, but I can admit that the original Donkey Kong Country is really easy and maybe too shallow in some ways, like how it reuses bosses. But it's still extremely fun, has excellent controls, and they vastly improved everything with the sequel.

But Miyamoto is still full of crap, though, because Super Mario World was a huge step down in difficulty from Super Mario Bros. 3, so it can be argued that that game also put the eye candy above the gameplay in some ways. But like DKC, it's still an awesome game even if it isn't particularly challenging. Miyamoto was probably just being bitter because he didn't like seeing a Western take on his own creation I bet, which probably pulled in more money than any of his DK projects.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: KingJames304

KingJames304
8 years ago#4
I disagreed with him way back then about DKC, but sadly his quote is so true for our modern gaming.
PSN: ModelJames13
Challenge me to fighting games.

User Info: Videogamegalaxy

Videogamegalaxy
8 years ago#5
Later on he apologized for that qoute and took it back.

User Info: Videogamegalaxy

Videogamegalaxy
8 years ago#6
Also the Secret World in SMW (the one that has names like groovy and funky) are harder than all the levels in SMB3 combined. For that SMW is 100X harder than SMB3

User Info: Chillin_Dude

Chillin_Dude
8 years ago#7
Gameplay, story, music, graphics, sound effects, and replay value. 6 items that will make a game good, bad, or a bit of each. This game really can live without a complex story. DK must go after his sweet, curved, and more importantly, yellow bananas. That is just enough.

Gameplay is simple, sometimes fast-paced, sometimes low-paced. Depends on the level, and/or the players skills.

The music in this game is great. Just great. Some levels, like those of wine valley, or in the level "Winky's Walkway" simply are the best. In my opinion, something that DKC3 lacks. And the music seems to be perfect to the environment.

Graphics are really nice, and few games in snes looked so nice. In fact, few games in the 16-bits era used graphics like those.

Sound effects are really good too. The noise made when DK is jump on the heads of enemies, the mine-cart noise, and overall Sound effects really fit in game.

Replay value is, well, it depends on the player's taste for the game, as 100 (or 101)% means reach every secret area inside the levels that must be cleared in order to finish the game. No secret level, like in DKC 2 or 3. I have yet to get this percentage, as my knowledge about levels isn't making the cut.

So, it's a matter of taste to appreciate or hate the game. I appreciate it. And i played more recent DK and could easily tell that those are far worst that this. And the only mediocre game in the series is 64.

User Info: MrPenguin7

MrPenguin7
8 years ago#8
Top 10 Levels list today:

#7 - DKC: DKC is a masterpiece by Mr. Shigeru Miyamoto. Everyone knows Donkey Kong. If not, smack them. Seriously, though, this game has lush graphics even by today's standards, excellent gameplay, a huge repertoire of opposition, a multitude of secrets, hoards of bananas to collect, and many other elements. Jungle Hijinxs, the first level in the game, has just about every aspect of the Donkey Kong universe. There are extra life balloons (all three types), the infamous Kritters, there are bonus rooms, an animal buddy, a metal keg, etc. Say it with me: "It's on like Donkey Kong, biyaaaatch!"

Did Miyamoto even have anything to do with DKC besides giving Rare the okay to make it? Lol. Uniformed lists are always entertaining.

User Info: Aussie2B

Aussie2B
8 years ago#9
Also the Secret World in SMW (the one that has names like groovy and funky) are harder than all the levels in SMB3 combined. For that SMW is 100X harder than SMB3

I blew through those pretty easy. I had a harder time with the final world in SMB3. Although it's not really a fair comparison because SMB3 doesn't have a bonus world that aims to be extra difficult. Looking at the main game of Super Mario World nothing puts up much of a fight.
"I am sexy minority. OH! NO! I wanna be a sexy terminator. Sexy will never die. AH~~~~~!"

User Info: Rodanguirus

Rodanguirus
8 years ago#10
I think the original DKC probably is a bit too basic, with bonus rooms that exist just for the sake of finding them, and often in counter-intuitive locations (let's throw ourselves off pits hoping we find some!). But it is extremely smooth and effortless to control, which a lot of people overlook. And I may be biased, but as gimmicky as pre-rendered graphics were, the DKC trilogy's visuals hold up. The mountains, jungles, damp mines...it all looks great.

And of course, David Wise is a musical genius. While many of his pieces just nail the atmosphere perfectly, I was also always impressed with the timing of his music, and I always think of the first snowy stage. It starts out as this mellow, but definitely ominous piece, as you get used to sliding around on the mountain. It picks up slightly as it starts to snow, then when an all-out blizzard breaks out (and you get to some nasty platform jumping and barrel blasting), the music itself seems to panic. Even when I didn't really care about music, this track stuck with me.

So yes, DKC put a lot of work into its graphics. It also put a lot of effort into music and gameplay. The original falls short in certain areas, but it's still a blast to play, and the sequels do away with repetitive bosses, and flesh out the bonus stage/reward system.

Incidentally, Yoshi's Island is my favorite game of all time, and DKC2 is among my top five. It's a shame other fans have such a hard time getting along and seeing the merits of both.
---
  1. Boards
  2. Donkey Kong Country
  3. Shigeru Miyamoto's infamous quote

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived