• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Brawl Brothers
  3. Hidden moves, let's find them!

User Info: DarkShieldwham

DarkShieldwham
7 years ago#21
That'd hurt if it was unlocked only after beating the game. It's a pretty long game but they did give us that rename code only after beating the game in Rival Turf. A bit far fetched but I'm willing to try anything but I think the use of save states will help verify that possibility. I still get nothing so far with all my mashing. Maybe we ought to document commands that don't work to possibly narrow down a likely command input. Far fetched once again but I think I'll give that approach my attention next time I power that game on.

User Info: carlmarksguy

carlmarksguy
7 years ago#22
First, just a quick correction -- you don't have to win Rival Turf to get the rename-enemies screen, you just need a score in the top scores page so you can enter the name CHARCONF. The lowest default top score is 4, so as long as you beat 5 enemies when you run out of lives and don't continue, you're good. Full details:
http://gamewtfs.com/?b=21&#rename

Second, I've gotten many of the "basic specials" to work while playing the cartridge on a RetroDuo system (one of the hardware knockoffs that plays 8-bit NES and 16-bit SNES carts), with just one player: Hack's uppercut and Slash's fire-breathing.

I've also accidentally triggered Wendy's rope-dive while on the walking-on-the-stealth-jet level. I say "accidentally", because after the dive was over, I don't think I was able to get back onto the screen. I disappeared off the screen. I think eventually walking upwards made the top of Wendy's head show up at the bottom of the screen, and occasionally I took damage as if I was being combo-punched by invisible enemies, but if I remember right, I don't think she was able to get back into the screen and/or scroll the screen to the side.

Then again, I've found a similar beat-em-up bug in the SNES Batman Returns on the RetroDuo -- if you do the "fling enemies at the back wall" attack when there's no back wall, sometimes Batman gets embedded half-way off the bottom of the screen, and you can't get back into the same area as the enemies. Unless you can test-tube-smartbomb all the enemies you can't screen-scroll, and when you run out of test tubes, unless it fades to a different sub-level, you have to reset..
http://gameWTFs.com/

DarkShieldwham
7 years ago#23
Whoa, so someone else was able to do the rope jump move? Maybe I've been going about this the wrong way. Does it work everywhere or certain places specifically? Nobody knows .-.

I also wonder about the fireball we've all been looking for. In that sharked video I posted earlier their health was constantly refilled. Maybe we need full health for it? I don't think they'd do that to us right? Before, I'd start up the game and just use my super until I had low health so I wouldn't have to accidentally do it and waste energy. Guess it's back to the drawing board then.

Let's pretend we find the move. Man. Chucking fireballs at enemies would be a lot of fun. Speaking of throwing, using the shoulder buttons L/R is the most effective way of using it. Items like rocks can only be thrown once at a faster speed but you can throw it an extra 3 times with those buttons. I think that might be the maximum number of times you can throw them.

User Info: carlmarksguy

carlmarksguy
7 years ago#24
"Speaking of throwing, using the shoulder buttons L/R is the most effective way of using it."

This is especially fun with the less dangerous-looking pickups, like turkey legs, candybars or cheese.

Since not many people talk about the Rushing Beat series, I haven't had a chance to go on this rant before, but: it's amazing how weak weapons are in these games!

I haven't played Peacekeepers, but after the NES, where "enemy with gun = almost always last boss, and one shot kills you", but not only are all the "bashing" weapons pretty puny in Brawl Bros and Rival Turf, but even the grenades and TNT are just nuisance-attacks. The ultimate example of this goofiness is in Brawl Bros, where TWO OF THE WEAKEST ENEMIES CARRY GUNS. Of course, the gun's "engulf-you-in-flames" attack is pretty much weaker than a punch, so...that's why he's a low level enemy.

Also the collision detection on thrown knives in Rival Turf, and the Brawl Bros gun (on those rare occasions where you get one from the enemies), is so bad, I've found that it's seldom worth trying to use 'em.

Does that bug anyone else?
http://gameWTFs.com/

DarkShieldwham
7 years ago#25
The only thing I noticed was how strong rocks were. I wish I had more of them around. At the beginning of the first level there is one tucked behind a car. Don't think there were any other hidden items to be honest.

Yes, they are really weak but you throw them a few times and call it quits and resume the punching. A nice way to get away from the beat'em up since it sucks in a good 95% of the game over all. I throw guns at people, not shoot with them lol.

User Info: Varmyth

Varmyth
7 years ago#26
carlmarksguy posted...
First, just a quick correction -- you don't have to win Rival Turf to get the rename-enemies screen, you just need a score in the top scores page so you can enter the name CHARCONF. The lowest default top score is 4, so as long as you beat 5 enemies when you run out of lives and don't continue, you're good. Full details:
http://gamewtfs.com/?b=21&#rename

Second, I've gotten many of the "basic specials" to work while playing the cartridge on a RetroDuo system (one of the hardware knockoffs that plays 8-bit NES and 16-bit SNES carts), with just one player: Hack's uppercut and Slash's fire-breathing.

I've also accidentally triggered Wendy's rope-dive while on the walking-on-the-stealth-jet level. I say "accidentally", because after the dive was over, I don't think I was able to get back onto the screen. I disappeared off the screen. I think eventually walking upwards made the top of Wendy's head show up at the bottom of the screen, and occasionally I took damage as if I was being combo-punched by invisible enemies, but if I remember right, I don't think she was able to get back into the screen and/or scroll the screen to the side.

Then again, I've found a similar beat-em-up bug in the SNES Batman Returns on the RetroDuo -- if you do the "fling enemies at the back wall" attack when there's no back wall, sometimes Batman gets embedded half-way off the bottom of the screen, and you can't get back into the same area as the enemies. Unless you can test-tube-smartbomb all the enemies you can't screen-scroll, and when you run out of test tubes, unless it fades to a different sub-level, you have to reset..

It's very interesting that you made that happen on the stealth jet level because I recall that was the very first place I had that happen with me and my friend. It was completely accidental and it took a long time of holding up and jumping before he got back on the screen. I was able, however, to pull off that rope dive at the beginning of the first stage at a later time. This was on a cartridge playing on a SNES. I don't recall anything about how much health, but I don't think we needed full health. That's about all I can elaborate, but I'm glad that guy confirmed everything that I witnessed in my experience, even the health being taken away.

DarkShieldwham
7 years ago#27
Great, now I gotta go to the flying ship to try this out pronto. But Varmyth says it works in the first stage. Back to the mashing board!! <@_@)

DarkShieldwham
7 years ago#28
Still no such luck. I think I ought to come up with a combination of buttons to rule out whether moves are just inputs without the d-pad.
  1. Boards
  2. Brawl Brothers
  3. Hidden moves, let's find them!
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A