• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
  3. Yet Another Zelda Like Game

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
6 years ago#21
Hi skater-rater thank you for the support. :) Although... *heavy sigh* sad to say I screwed up and so deleted the game. What happened? UGH! Must I say! Ugh!

I was looking through a guide of hidden items, rooms, etc and thought I saw one I hadn't visited so I decided to go back and see what it held. Yhe door is in the run up to Daimyo's Castle. So Even though I saw the words Lion's Den, I took Pirahna Man. Yeah! hmmm... So I'm in there battlinr him and I keep taking damage like mad and wondering why, so I go through the equipemnt and feel it's sound, so why am I getting hurt so much? I then stop and llok at the damage Daimyo is taking on 2 hits per hit. WHat??? SO now I'm thinking to myself. He should be taking massive hits. And it's then I realize I have the wrong fighter. *Sigh*

So while I was back in Aseldo's transformer room, I noticed that Lion Man never came in. So I'm like okay. I'll get him Bah.... I have no idea how I screwed this up so horribly, but I did> If you go into a boss room using the 99 charms you wil not have the subsequent transformations when you come out of beating the boss. Tools and stuff yes, other men, NOPE!

Now did I read that anywhere? Don't think so... so now I'm restarting WB III. Live and learn!
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: skater43

skater43
6 years ago#22
Ah man, that's a bummer :(. Yeah I remember reading something about getting the 99 Charms, but didn't read the fine print/look into it too much, so don't know if that warning was given or not. If the guide your looking at though, doesn't mention it, but does mention the cheat, prolly ought to the author know so they can update their guide and warn future players. Your restart shall not be in vain. :) On the plus side, at least this game is fun and one you want to play over, looking for more secrets and stuff as opposed to, say, WBIML where you have to find the secrets to beat the game and the game itself is flawed. So are you going to go for all the Charms again, or just play through the game again?
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

Golden_Torizo
6 years ago#23
Good Evening all, I hope you're enjoying the remains of the day. Hmmm You know, that would make a great movie title. :D

Thanks skater43... maybe my fault for not reading the faqs word for word. I may check out whether or not it mentions the secret boss doors. At any rate... I'm already to go do my charms again. This time I'll need about 80. Yup! A lot of grinding, but you've been with me enough to know I like to grind. :) Wohooo!

Later all...
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

skater43
6 years ago#24
Work wasn't too bad last night. Start of Spring Break so busier than a typical Sunday, but not too bad.

I glanced at a guide that mentioned all the Charms, but didn't read it closely enough to see what they said about the boss doors or not. As I said, if not, prolly ought to let the author know, just to help out future players. The guy who did the TAS for this game did mention a way to manipulate drops: http://tasvideos.org/1809S.html but sounds like it's kinda a pain. Think you said you find a pretty good spot/high Charm drop rate, so you may just be better off doing what you're doing. Anyway, good luck to you. And yes, I know how much you like to grind. Max level or bust. I shudder to think of the day you decide to play FF3: 14 characters, level cap of 99. But, that's how you like to play games, and you're the one playing/investing the time, so I say go for it. And if nothing else, by the time you get the 99 Charms, you'll be set for gold for the rest of the game, and prolly most of the magic items. And so M'Lady, I say grind on. :)
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

Golden_Torizo
6 years ago#25
Good Pink Monday to you all... I hope the spring weather is pleasant in your neck of the world. Here in the DMV it's a really cool but pleasant day. :)

Ahhh yes, the 99 Charms. I am grinding for them At the moment I have 77 if you count the 7 in the Sphinx.

So the author of the FAQs I read in here does say that if you elect to use one of the boss doors after the 99 Charms you will Reset the Transformation rooms. Because the bosses are in the rooms and if you fight them you will go to the character they transform you to. And so those that are subsequent will be lost.

Also, I'm kind'a miffed that the Prince Armor is said to increase hearts(small), items, and charms. Okay, I'm thinkingit gives you two of an item in the span of three killsand that's it. Otherwise you get coins and maybe a moneybag. It's not like I'm getting 6 ot 7 charms every twenty kills or something. In fact it really isn't that noticable.

Sorry skater43, I haven't opened the TAS thread as yet. In fact would you post it in here please? Thank you sire.

Oh... the password! Now I know I read somewhere that if you use the passwords you can reset the chests. Well Sir, Madam... I played and defeated The Desert boss gather some gold then went into Aseldo and gathered the password, then save my game and turned it off/ exited the game. I later came back and input my password. Horror of horrors, the game had not awarded me the items I had gather previously. Instead I had 5 of each item except the Thunder. I had only 3 of those. Now someone please tell me what happened.

I reset the game to get my stuff back... and did!

Take care, I'll meet up with you guys later. :)

skater43
6 years ago#26
Things are pretty nice out here in Cali land. Been hitting the 80s lately, not a cloud in the sky (which makes for nice weather, but doesn't make for the rain we need. But, we thank God for what He has given us).

Sounds like the 99 Charm bonus/secret/whatever you want to call it, was intended as an endgame/near the end of the game bonus: keep collecting Charm points through the game and maybe, with a little luck and some grinding, you'd have collected 99 by the end of the game, so that you can quickly and easily go back and replay the bosses for fun.

I know some RPGs (FF3 is the first that comes to mind) that have variable drops/steals that you can get from an enemy. For example, an imp may have a 30% chance of dropping a basic heal potion when it's killed. However, if that doesn't drop, then it has a 1% chance of dropping a BFG9000. So the enemies here may have such and such a percentage of dropping money. If they don't drop that, then there might be a small chance they drop a magic item or Charm point. There may even been three tiers: money, hearts/magic items, and Charm points. So the Prince Armor may increase the chance of a drop happening, but because of the percentages used or whatever, money, then hearts or items just become more prevalent and you never make it to the third tier to have that chance to have a Charm point drop. Can't say for sure, but that's my educated guess I'm throwing out there. But if this is the case, you may actually be better off without the Prince Armor to decrease the chance of money or items dropping, which makes it more likely to get a Charm point to drop.

Link for the TAS I posted above has all the author's notes on what he found in/about the game, but the relevant part about manipulating drops is - Manipulating items in this game is a PAIN. It's seems the only way you can get what you want is to either get hit or do something different on the previous or current screen. (It could mean kill 3 certain Snakes to hopefully make certain enemy drop what you want. This doesn't always work though.)

How much info is stored in a password varies from game to game. I think it possible that this game wouldn't store which chests have or haven't been opened already, which would allow you to keep opening them over and over. However, it appears based on your findings, that the number of magic items you possess also isn't saved. I didn't use them, so that wouldn't be a big deal for me, so using the passwords to collect/recollect the chests would be worth it for me. You, however, like having/using the magic items, so losing them each time would be a bit of a hassle, and likely not worth resetting the chests.

Anyway, good luck on the rest of your Charm collecting and nice job on some of the stuff you've learned/discovered about the mechanics of the game.

Golden_Torizo
6 years ago#27
Hi skater, doing okay?

The thing about playing the bosses is as I mentioned, if you played the Mummy boss you'd loss every subsequent Wonder Boy. I don't know if that was meant to be like that or not (It's wasn't funny when it happened to me) but that's how it is. So in effect you'd have to play all the later bosses again. t

I have the 99 charms but I don't have abilities that would allow me to progress with the stones. I was able to go directly to the Zombie Dragon then drop down to the pool for the items there. And I now need the block buster sword to move to another. Wait let me make sure...maybe I could miss the water level... Hmmm nope I think a heart's down there. You guys should play this for the 99 stones using the red eye (lol) in the mouse maze.

User Info: -SourDieseL

-SourDieseL
6 years ago#28
Dang, I'm gonna have to try this game sometime.
Sour DieseL
Greyrise

skater43
6 years ago#29
See G_T's post on the other Wonder Boy board, but I agree that you should give this game a go sometime. WBIML was the transition in the series from platformer to action/adventure and so this game is fully in the adventure/RPGish genre. Not a real long game, but a fun one to go through and to look for stuff. Fortunately, they dumped the timer of earlier games in the series, so you can take your time with this one to look for all the secret doors and such. Prolly wouldn't be a bad idea to go through the other posts in this topic, kinda get a feel for what the game has to offer and some of the stuff we came across/general tips. And if you have any questions, post away.
  1. Boards
  2. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
  3. Yet Another Zelda Like Game
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A

Reset wonderboy3? General1 Answer