• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xexyz
  3. US/Japanese version differences video

User Info: xexyz5011

xexyz5011
12 years ago#1
Finally found a video that shows the differences between the US and Japanese versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvL60A92g9c

Definitely worth a look if you are a fan of this game. The Japanese version had a lot more cutscenes and dialog (is there anywhere I could find a translation of these?), and a lot of the "door inhabitants" (Force Star devil, betting game guy, "imformation" guy) look very different.
Hope outshines all darkness.
http://www.backloggery.com/xexyz5011

User Info: HylianFox

HylianFox
12 years ago#2
Hey, that's cool. I;m glad I'm not the only one who's played both.

I can't see the video on this computer, does it show all 3 endings? I even made up names for them a la The Matrix.

Blue Pill = You are alone on the beach.

Red Pill = You are still in the "Apollo" armor, with Queen Maria Star. (this is the ending used in the US version)

Purple Pill = You are on the beach, but there is a island girI who looks like Queen Maria Star with you.
This is my signature until I can think of a better one.

User Info: pokeeiyuu

pokeeiyuu
12 years ago#3
I dumped the text from both Xexyz and Kame no Ongaeshi: Urashima Densetsu, although probably not very well as it jumps around a lot.

Xexyz places the whole thing on some random planet according to the box.
Kame no Ongaeshi takes place near future Tokyo, CE 2700 to be exact.

Kame no Ongaeshi: Urashima Densetsu is most easily translated as Turtle's Repayment (of a favor): Urashima's legend. The whole game uses the folk tale of Urashimatarou as its back drop. The main character is even Urashimatarou's descendent, Ken Urashima.

The most amusing translation differences are the items. Every item in Kame is based off of a marine creature.
Hand Beam: Squid Beam
45B Ball: Octopus Ball
Wave Ball: Jellyfish Ball
Moon Ball: Sea snake Ball
Laser: Pearl Laser
Foot Wing: Flying Fish Wing
Mirror: Bivalve Mirror
Force Star: Holy starfish star
Queen Maria Star is Oto Hime. King Xeu Star is the Dragon King. All the vehicles are actually turtles.

So at the end of Kame, like your ancestor, Urashimatarou, you are given the tamatebako, but you can decide for yourself what to do with it: open it, just keep it closed, or throw it away.
Opening it returns Urashima to his own world. On his return, he sees a girl who looks exactly like Otohime who asks to be his bride. They live happily ever after.
Keeping it, closed, Urashima finds himself in front of the Castle of the Dragon King. Otohime asks him to marry her and become king. They live happily ever after.
Throwing it away returns Urashima to his own world. However, he is struck by divine punishment.

HylianFox
12 years ago#4
^^ That's some great stuff right there, I wish I could read Japanese.

Throwing it away returns Urashima to his own world. However, he is struck by divine punishment.

I always knew that ending seemed to be the worst. -_-

Even in Xexyz, there is a strong aquatic-theme to it. All of the so-called 'Cyborg Riders' are marine animals.
In Kame no Ongaeshi, like the above says, the 'Flying Saucers' you use to fight castle bosses on are in fact jet-powered Turtles.

HylianFox
12 years ago#5
oh, if you're still here pokeeiyuu, what does the Japanese game say about the other 5 'Queens'? And the whole turtle dance thing?

pokeeiyuu
12 years ago#6
Like Xexyz, the Japanese game uses a stock reply when talking about all of the princesses and when they thank you. So, like Otohime, the females you rescue are also princesses (hime). The dance that they show you is how they thank you for returning peace to their islands. The last bit of the princess's lines before dancing even says "Mambo! Chachacha ooh!"

And when I said previously that Kame no Ongaeshi uses Urashimatarou as its back drop, I wasn't being trite. The beginning cut scenes are basically cut and paste from the story, except for the whole "you have to rescue the princess" thing. The endings even are very related. If you put together the keep and the throw away endings, you pretty much have the middle and one of the endings of Urashimatarou (lives in pleasure in the Dragon King's castle, but returns home and ages due to opening (rather than tossing) the tamatebako, when he was instructed to not open it.)

HylianFox
12 years ago#7
"Mambo! Chachacha ooh!"

XD

Thanks again for researching this, that's some very interesting stuff. I may have to look into this folk legend myself.

User Info: xexyz5011

xexyz5011
12 years ago#8
Wow, amazing read. Thank you so much for that research!

I'll have to research that folk tale too...
Hope outshines all darkness.
http://www.backloggery.com/xexyz5011

HylianFox
12 years ago#9
out of curiosity, I typed 'ongaeshi' into Google and I got "Neko no Ongaeshi" which is said to mean 'The Cat Returns'

So, "Turtle's Repayment (of a Favor)" could also be "Turtle's Return (of a Favor)". IMO, I find "The Turtle Returns" or "The Return of the Turtle" to make a bit more sense, if this is meant to a sequel of sorts to the original folktale.

pokeeiyuu
12 years ago#10
I'd be very hesitant to use a movie title's localization outside of the movie itself. At least in that movie, a couple of the characters are cats from a previous movie by the same studio and the main character returns from being turned into a cat.

As per the Japanese wiki page for the game (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BA%80%E3%81%AE%E6%81%A9%E8%BF%94%E3%81%97%E3%80%9C%E3%82%A6%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B7%E3%83%9E%E4%BC%9D%E8%AA%AC%E3%80%9C), the thing that Urashima turns into in the "throw away" ending is some form of plankton.
  1. Boards
  2. Xexyz
  3. US/Japanese version differences video
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A