You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  3. Feel like this was a different game.
Then0rm 2 years ago#1
I feel like this game was made for completely different characters and then like SMB2 the turtles were added in to capitalize on their popularity.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer.
Spike 2 years ago#2
I've owned this game since I was a very young child. Yes, it always struck me as very odd. Judging by the cover, I think it was based on the comic book series to an extent, although they also put in some stuff from the original cartoon. I never actually read those original comics, but I know that Bebop, Rocksteady, and Krang didn't exist in those. Krang was heavily inspired by the alien Utrom race, but Bebop and Rocksteady are completely original characters. So anyway, I guess this game is maybe a hybrid of sorts. I'm not sure if some of the minor enemies in the game were ever in the comics or not though.
"They look so *** damn like the same person. I say to them "you want ice cream cone?" Both of them say yes." - Mario Twins
butane_bob 2 years ago#3
It's unlikely that it was a different game during development as the prototype is almost identical to the final release. If anything they probably just used leftover code and/or the same engine as one of their previous games called Getsu Fuuma Den. This kind of thing happened often.
Skyeblazer 2 years ago#4
Some of the concepts and characters feel far removed from the Ninja Turtles. Stage 5 feels like you've left the TMNT universe and entered a completely different game. But there's enough of a tie-in that I'm pretty sure it was designed as a Turtles game from the ground up.

It's highly unlikely that a game would be designed with two bosses in the first stage and one in the remaining stages. But being based off of a franchise with two bumbling henchmen, it makes sense to get them out of the way in the first stage like that. Then you have the Party Wagon, the Technodrome, the rescue of Splinter and April, and Shredder's retro-mutagen gun from the five part mini-series which started the cartoon show. And would there have been a pause-and-switch mechanic if not for the presence of four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? If it had just been a fresh coat of paint added to an unrelated game, the plot probably would have seen three of the Turtles captured and Leonardo having to rescue them solo.

There was a lot of effort put into this game. People complain about the difficulty (and rightfully so), but they put effort into creating different environments and introducing new mechanics to gameplay. You swim, you ride in a van, you have overworld maps and side scrolling portions. And it's fairly lengthy. I'm just having trouble imagining what this game would've been like without the Turtles unless they designed the last two stages first and retroactively turned it into a TMNT game.

I think they just got carried away with creative liberties.
DELFON 1 year ago#5
Was there ever a collection release of this game? It always bugged me that this classic never got a relaunch on newer consoles
Just my two cents.
LeighDappa 8 months ago#6
@DELFON It was only re-released on the Wii Virtual Console. (I bought it)
90 GBA Games, 44 DS Games, 84 N3DS:XL Games, 113 Switch Games, 3 Amiibo
DELFON 8 months ago#7
LeighDappa posted...
@DELFON It was only re-released on the Wii Virtual Console. (I bought it)
Lol man over a year and I completely forgot about this thread. Thx for the reply, Wii "virtual console" was a gem that sadly also never got a re release either
Just my two cents.
  1. Boards
  2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
  3. Feel like this was a different game.

GameFAQs Q&A