• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Shatterhand
  3. Attempt to play through this.

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
3 years ago#31
GT wanna see some Athos glory....

http://imgur.com/2EIZOIt

Not fully complete but you get the idea...
Total wreckage.
Lord of gaming!!! (probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Y: Sean (2787); X: Lily (3181); OGTG hax breeder/DEGI
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 years ago#32
Progress is finally being made. After umpteen tries, I finally beat Area B earlier today. I thought that was supposed to be an easy one? :) Boss was pretty simple, especially since I had Alpha Beta Beta, but getting to it was a real bugger. Odd thing, though. Looked like there was a second form to the boss, a snake like thing after the two jumpy robots. I died on that, though and still got credit for beating the stage. Hey, I wasn't going to complain. But is there a second form, or is it possible to beat the snake and maybe open up a secret area or power-up or something?

Meanwhile, Area C has just fallen. Have to say, that Area was much easier to get through than B, at least for me. Boss took a few more tries, though I think in total I only had to fight him three times. First time, I had Alpha Beta Beta with me and had I actually taken a few evasive maneuvers, rather than just trying to slug it out with him, I would have gotten him. Got him down to flashing before dying (and that was my last life unfortunately). Next time I made it back to him, I had two lives, but no bot. First life went okay as I got the feel for having to punch him to death. Again, a little less offense and a little more getting out of the way would have saved my bacon. Third attempt, I got him in a nice pattern, going back and forth across the bottom. I could jump onto the fence and be high enough to avoid getting hit, jump off, punch him once or twice (avoiding the sawblades he usually threw), hop back onto the fence, wash, rinse, repeat. Still got me down to one health so those last few hits were a little nerve-wracking (especially since dying would mean doing the level over again), but I was able to hold on (to the fence :) ) for the win. G_T has also beaten Area C, but I'll let her tell us what she really thinks about that boss. Think the plan is to take a crack at Area D, see what we're in for. I've got work all day tomorrow, so that'll really cut into tomorrow's playing time, though I can prolly so some after work.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#33
Good Evening GFers, Tuesday treated right I hope.

So each level intensifies for sure. I don't know if there are any hidden secrets, the game seems pretty much straight-forward to me.

Well, there is this: https://tcrf.net/Shatterhand

So about the Area C boss...I thought I read the boss was in fact two. However, for Area B, there were 3 where the walk says there is one. Now, maybe the author got the levels wrong. or the game "Shatterhand" confused with "Solbrain." Whatever the reason, those two boss battles at least were incorrect via the walkthrough by DEngel here in GameFAQs. I believe Area C itself was not as simple as my trekking partner would have you think. The first part had enemies that not only moved faster but the dropped from above and to had to wait for steam to shut down or get hit and lose life. By that time the enemy could regen and be on you butt.

The second part had golden giants that were capable of killing you bot befoe you knew it was gone.Yup! It happened to me a cople of times. The bot stood little chance against the goldmen. Thank goodness I had a distance bot. - Alpha Beta Beta - So I'm just mosying along and killing floaters and then I punch a pillar and gwah! out comes this giant that takes massive life from my bot and kills it before I can catch my breath. So develop a smash and run tactic in the second part of Area C. Also have a decent range weapon. these goldmen don't stop until eliminated.

Ahhh, the boss... shall I just call it Wall-Hugger... and I saw where my partner said he would go up the fencing. Well for me, when I went up the fencing the wall hugger went up the wall. And when it jumped to the other wall, it knocked me off the fence each time. It became a thorn in my side and I just had to buckle down and (melee) him. Thank goodness my bot hung in there with me.

Question: Did we begin with two players or one? Maybe I'm not getting the life bars. But I don't recall ever dying in the game... oh, wait... yes, I went to the continue screen once. Drat!!! I was wondering because the boss killed me once and my life was over, so I was thinking, 'where is my other life?'

Anyway, whew! Glad that one is over. So sodd it gets harder from here huh? Ooooooookay!
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
3 years ago#34
The area B boss confuses me to no end. Its not hard in either form, but sometimes the snake form takes several his to kill, other times just one and I have no idea what hitting odd segments does aside from chasing their color. Didn't know the stage is still considered cleared if you die on the snake. I got no tangible reward for beating it aside from points.

Area C is a bit tricky at points, the giants for me the first time through, but they are easy if you use your bot. The terrain can be used effectively to beat them if you don't have your bot. In fact I noticed that the manner in which the hero punched changes from jabs to hooks after the first few swings. The hooks seem to do more damage and you can really pummel big enemies if you have a gift advantage on them. The area C boss is also better designed, but I haven't been able to kill it without losing my bot, no big deal tough.

Area D is a doozy and some of the enemies are a bit cheap imo. Had to get some work done last night and was too tired to play Shatterhand by the time I was done, so I haven't made any progress.

Good luck guys!
I am Error. Check out my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCApMBqrP3fY1s6AiqQ3yTug?

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#35
Howdy GFers, today is hUMp day. Get over it!!!

Thanks funkadelius for the link to your Doraemon page and the mention. :) You're so very welcome glad I could help.

The boss of Area C killed my solo player in a blinnk. After locing the bot it just jumped and like a shark's scrape the touches inflicted damage I never recovered from. It is rather sturdy and to me, well designed to inflict damage. It doesn't have to hit you with its projectiles, esp when its body can do damage with ever jump. You need to try and figure out his leaps and leap before it to avoid the collision.

Anyway, my trekking part and I will be taking a few hours off, and hopefuly we'll be able to do a bit tonight. if not Thursday.

So I'm off to do some grinding in DWIII's h&ck.

Later guys and dolls... :)
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks

funkadelius
3 years ago#36
No problem GT, you and skater did much of the work. I'm surprised at how much attention the gameplay video of Doraemon I posted got on YouTube. 7 views in two weeks, which is not bad considering it's obscurity and my small subscriber base. Filled in some knowledge gaps and had a good time playing it, so it's a double win.

Also, forgot to answer your query; yes I'm reasonably certain it's two lives.

Got a few minutes to play today and revisited the breakable wall in Area A and found that it contained a shiny gold coin, which doesn't really matter much, but at least it's something.

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#37
Thanks to a couple of good site and one seeming defunct but great site, oldies are back. I'm still hoping my honey-hole will get back up and running; however it's server whatever is about to run out. It has til mid July to either recertify or let it go. :(

Anyway, I want to ask you funk is the breakable wall one in the area?

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/Shatterhand-AreaB-Refinery(Enemies).png

Looking at the walls you notice all those square-shaped depressions. However, in true zelda form sometimes a blowable wall was just a wall. Ahh, Zelda.

Okay so you are saying, the boss of Area C is indeed a pair. Are you sure? I'm asking about the one that jumps from wall to wall and releases 3 halo type rings at you. That is two things. I surely can't tell!

HAGO... :)
It seems there are some struggles here and there with the bosses for you guys, and I do remember them being challenging. Just like many other NES games, you get better and better at Shatterhand the more you play and memorize. Here are some tips for boss battles in general:

- First and foremost, try to enter the boss rooms with the special super suit activated. This will almost always tip the battle in your favor. After you've played the level a handful of times, note how close you are to the boss room and plan ahead to try and have the last alpha/beta powerup box be the one that activates super mode. I've intentionally left alpha/beta chips uncollected because I knew there would be another one closer to the boss teleporter. I know this isn't always feasible, but if you can pull it off and bum rush the boss its your best bet for victory.

- The second most advantageous thing that will help you win is going in with the double damage powerup (red jacket) and laying in as many hits as you can. The majority of the levels have a powerup platform close to the boss, but there are some that you won't be so lucky on.

- Tanking hits and just bum rushing the boss will sometimes be a valid strategy, and the caution to the wind approach is a more successful tactic than you think. You'll see what I mean with some of the later, more difficult bosses (Area F and beyond). If you can get in there with full health and anything else to boost your damage, try rushing the boss and dealing as much damage as you can, even if it means taking hits to do so. You might be surprised to see how possible it is to outlast the boss.

- For bosses that stand on the ground level with you, I found the crouch on the ground and repeatedly punch them in the balls strategy to be pretty effective. It gives you a smaller hitbox, allows you to avoid some attacks, and lays on damage pretty quickly. Like funk mentioned, a few punches in quick succession lead to haymaker punches that do more damage and feel satisfying as hell to land.

- Last but not least, some of you mentioned slight trouble with the snake-like second form of the Area B boss. Target the head. It will go down very quickly if you focus attacks there.

Glad to see you guys are enjoying this, its a great little hidden gem in the NES library! If you have any more questions let me know, I'll try and help ya out without spoiling anything.

funkadelius
3 years ago#39
sandmanofdarkdreams ahaha, yes I can confirm that pitching them in the balls is highly effective.

On a side note, trying to spare your bot from damage in a boss fight doesn't seem to work out well. I had the area B boss down perfectly when practicing for last night's video, then I tried to keep my bot from taking damage while recording and made the fight take longer. It really is just best to get up in their face, especially since the bot inflicts contact damage.

GT That's a nice map. It's in are A and isn't displayed on the site's map, but you can see it at about the middle.

http://www.vgmaps.com/Atlas/NES/Shatterhand-AreaA-Factory.png

So, I grabbed the manual, read up on the story and learned how to climb fences effectively. All you have to do is hit up while jumping and he'll cling to the fence; you don't even need to keep a button depressed. Jumping disengages him from the fence and hitting left/right changes his direction. Knowing that made life much easier, as I was holding A, which made it harder to guideide his jumps when trying to land on a surface from a fence.

Cleared areas C&D last night, now onward to E&F.

Good luck!

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 years ago#40
Bots are definitely useful, but I agree with not going out of your way to save them/putting yourself at risk to keep them alive. But they come in handy.

Saw this in Area D tonight. Alpha Beta Beta was real handy with its banked shots at taking out the fans near the end of part 1, without having to engage them directly/with punches. Area D overall was surprisingly not that bad considering we got to deal with both ice and water (yes, yes, which are actually just two forms of the same thing). Frankly, the water was much more annoying. I found it much harder to accurately land my jumps and maneuver so I didn't hit any of the spikes while floating down (and there was one near the health refill that I jumped too high and hit a couple of times, too). Those 4 platforms or so leading up to the health refill were especially nerve-wracking my last time through as I was on my last life, only had a couple of bars of health (so needed the refill) and fell a few times. Fortunately, I never hit any of the spikes, so I wasn't losing any health, just had to keep trying. Boss itself was pretty easy, too. Alpha Beta Beta was a big help here, too. Gave him a punch or two when he came down to the bottom corners, but quickly learned not to hang out in front of him there too long. Otherwise, all damage was done by my bot. I daresay we're starting to get the hang of this game. :)
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"
  1. Boards
  2. Shatterhand
  3. Attempt to play through this.
  • Topic Archived