• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Shatterhand
  3. Attempt to play through this.

User Info: funkadelius

funkadelius
3 years ago#11
sandmanofdarkdreams posted...
You guys are in for a treat with this game. It went under the radar of the NES library, but is honestly just a really good platformer. Tight controls and hits the sweet spot of challenge.

Thanks, it's reassuring to get input from someone who has played this one. Over the years I've encountered a few titles that started out promising and went south pretty quickly.
I am Error. Check out my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCApMBqrP3fY1s6AiqQ3yTug?

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#12
funk does this sound familiar... Waaaait! hehehe

Seriously, skater43 and I were waiting for you and gm712 to get ready before we started. :) However, we can catch up to you funk

And yeah, I read also that before the final areas the game becomes really hard. So should be interesting!

Enjoy your weekend everybody!!!
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks
funkadelius posted...
Thanks, it's reassuring to get input from someone who has played this one. Over the years I've encountered a few titles that started out promising and went south pretty quickly.

Its up there in quality for sure. The soundtrack is hella catchy too. If you guys want any tips let me know. I'll keep an eye on this topic.

funkadelius
3 years ago#14
Golden_Torizo posted...
funk does this sound familiar... Waaaait! hehehe

Seriously, skater43 and I were waiting for you and gm712 to get ready before we started. :) However, we can catch up to you funk

And yeah, I read also that before the final areas the game becomes really hard. So should be interesting!

Enjoy your weekend everybody!!!

Lol, that happens a lot around here.

There's no need to rush, I try to rehearse my videos for action games a bit so they are bearable to watch, plus I have to test a different emulator, because what I was using for MM2 was getting all sorts of graphical issues when I tried to record it (probably needs a reinstall). Any, the long and short of it is, I'll be beating levels 3-4 times to everyone else's one time.

Anyway, I wonder if this game has secrets and the like, it seems straight forward, but you never know.

Thanks sandman, tips are always appreciated.
Levels are pretty straightforward, nothing really secret besides the occasional detour off the main path for a powerup. I use Nestopia to play the games and its been pretty solid for me. Yeah if you guys have any questions on the game let me know.

funkadelius
3 years ago#16
sandmanofdarkdreams posted...
Levels are pretty straightforward, nothing really secret besides the occasional detour off the main path for a powerup. I use Nestopia to play the games and its been pretty solid for me. Yeah if you guys have any questions on the game let me know.

I like that one as well, it's really solid, but for whatever reason doesn't like being encoded into video. I'm thinking there may be some minor software conflicts, but that will all be a moot point once I get a capture card and can use another machine to encode the video.

So I started learning this game and noticed a few interesting things. Skater, I know you like figuring things out for yourself, so I'll spoiler wrap this...

So, I had a tough time in the conveyor belt area, because I didn't understand that the hero could grab onto fences in the background. There were a few points where he clung to things, but it looked liked the Ninja Gaiden wall climb or Samus' wall kick, very confusing, but a cool mechanic nonetheless.

Also, it's possible to deflect bullets by punching them, this guy is hardcore.

Finally, if you have a bot, you can use it as a makeshift jet pack, by ducking and holding the "A" button. Hitting "B" while in this mode causes the bot to drop you and zoom forward, not sure what this does yet...

Anyway, seems like cool stuff. I'll probably do a vidya tonight, see how things go.

Have a great night all!

User Info: skater43

skater43
3 years ago#17
Thanks for not ruining anything for me. :) I'll check those out later down the line or after we beat the game.

So made it through the first stage today. Nothing real exciting, though I'll be experimenting some to see what the different letter combos give me and what's most useful in different situations. Died once on the boss, but otherwise didn't die or have too much trouble. Of course, this was just the intro stage, I'm expecting the upcoming ones to be a bit longer and/or harder. I see we get a choice on where we go next, but is there any advantage to going to one stage or another? Any special weapon or skill obtained at the end of a level that would be useful in taking down other stages/bosses? Gut feeling tells me no, but then it doesn't make much sense why they'd give us the option to choose the order of the next stages.

Bizhawk is pretty much the standard emulator for most systems for TASing, so I'd imagine is fairly simple to record in video format or convert to that, but don't know for sure. Don't need most TAS features, so FCEUX is good enough for my needs. This run through, though, I'll be joining G_T on an online site, so things will be even more stripped down and basic than what I usually use. Just messing around, though, it looks like we get unlimited continues here, which basically means the only time I'll need to save is when I stop playing, so I can pick up right where I left off.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

funkadelius
3 years ago#18
The stuff I wrapped as a spoiler is mostly about the controls and game mechanics, so you may have figured a lot of it out Skater. It doesn't seem like the ability to choose stages has any real bearing on game play. It's kind of tacked on, really, but this game has a slight learning curve, so it's nice that they let you try another level if you find one too hard at first.

Did the intro level and then the factory stage (top) left. I really need to master the fence grab, because I fumbled it a few times despite having run through the factory prior to making the video.

Here's me playing through those two stages (shameless plug hehe, don't worry, just doing it this one time):

https://youtu.be/ywx0HAyQpYo

The controls for this game aren't bad by any stretch, but I'm finding them a bit tricky in doors, so I'll be practicing, practicing, practicing.

Have an awesome mother's day everyone!
To be honest, I'm not sure why a stage select is given to you beyond variety and changing up playthroughs. The stage order of difficulty actually goes from left to right, top to bottom. You'll notice the more difficult areas on the bottom are listed as Area E and F on the stage end screen when you get your score bonus (at least I think they are E and F...its been too long). Anyway long story short, if you want a progressive challenge just play the stages in order from left to right.

There are two robot helpers in particular that make a pretty big difference, imo. If you wanna know which ones are the most useful I can pass that info on. One other huge tip you might not have found out about yet is the super mode. If you can keep your robot buddy alive and string together the same sequence of 3 alpha and beta powerups again, you transform into an invulnerable super form and a countdown timer comes up indicating when you will revert back. Damage taken while in this form won't hurt you, but will instead shorten the duration you can sustain the form.

The above spoiler is only a gameplay mechanic, so it wouldn't really spoil too much and is useful to know.

User Info: Golden_Torizo

Golden_Torizo
3 years ago#20
Howdy GFers, I hope you've all enjoyed a wonderful Mother's Day. Makes not dif where mom is, if you love her she's in your heart. Tell her!

Yeah funk the game has a few mechanics that we need to learn, most esp to get the weapon we want. It seems the best might be by getting a "B" block first. I managed to get the Alpha before I realized to change the blocks and so I end up with the laser beam that fires diagonally. Though I read it can be altered by crouching I have not been back in to play since reading that. But I want so to change this tool. And yes, I noticed tones of Metroid when I saw one screenshot of the game. Hero's a clinger for sure. also, when you come upon a block that shows a grenade, keep trying it. You may get lucky and gold will start coming. If so, keep punching until it's all out. I hope that's not just a browser thing.

sodd, what is the best all-around weapon in the Alpha group? I say AG meaning, if you have an "A" block up already I was looking through a few games the other day when this one popped out at me. I saw one that had boomerang and shikeru(sp) as the best weapons. I have no idea why I thought that was this one. But it's not. The boomer in this game doesn't appear to do 3directions per release. Is that true sodd?

skater43 I'll try and be ready when you are Monday. :) I have not fired up since we played the other day so, right at the choice screen.

Have a great start to your Pink Monday everyone. :)
Go to FunTrivia.Com and play my quiz- Dragon Warrior I for Game Boy Color. Don't 4get to rate it! Thanks
  1. Boards
  2. Shatterhand
  3. Attempt to play through this.
  • Topic Archived