You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Randomized run idea

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
1 month ago#1
Hey all, I was thinking about doing a randomized run of this in the future and am looking for some input. I posted this on the GBC board a week ago but that place is dead. This run will be done on mobile, but it has the gbc extras (personalities for varied stat growth, mini medals and the Thief class).

Here’s what I’ve already decided:

-Personality test will be all coin flips

-Every level the Hero gains will have a coin flip to see if a new party member gets added, if there’s room

-Simple dice roll to determine class, no one starts as a Goof-Off/Jester

-Every 5 levels for other members gets a dice roll with 1/6 chance of retirement

-When party members hit level 20 I’ll change 2 numbers on the dice roll to be a class change, still keeping the 1/6 retirement chance

-If I have a Merchant in the party (or retired) when I get the ship, then he goes to the New Town, otherwise no New Town until a Merchant is rolled

-Sages and characters level 40 lose their retirement/class change roll and become permanent

-Goof-Offs get an extra dice roll if they get a class change roll to see if they become a Sage, 1/3 chance

-Personality books are applied right away, with a 4-sided die roll if full party, otherwise a standard die roll with even chance

-If I have a Book of Sartori any non-Goof-Off class change gets a 1/6 chance to try for a coin flip as a chance to be a Sage

Any other things you guys can think of for this?
Playing: DQVII - Chapter 2 - Hubble; FFV Solo Bartz run - Exdeath's Castle
Up next: ??

User Info: Pre_PHD_Lee

Pre_PHD_Lee
1 month ago#2
This is definitely a little different than how I'm used to approaching new playthrough ideas. I do have one comment though. You said that no one starts as a Goof-off, but you mention rolls for Goof-offs later. The mobile version may be different in this respect, but on the NES you can't be a Goof-off at all unless you start out as one. You can't class change into one at Dhama.

Edit: After posting this I remembered I could check this myself in just a minute, since I have an endgame file on the Android version as well as the Super Famicom version. It seems you can indeed change into a Goof-off in the remakes. So it seems my comment is irrelevant after all.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
4 weeks ago#3
Well, my idea is working out so far. Hero is level 20, with 2 other party members, having lost 3 others already.

The one thing I forgot, which is actually becoming the biggest factor in this, is a random roll for battle tactics at every level up from 5 onwards. I’ve had both my Mage casting Kabuff and my Fighter defending for the whole span of a level, but at times have had full party control. Lots of twists and turns in this one, and it’s been pretty fun as well.
Playing: DQVII - Chapter 2: Buccanham; DQIII Randomized - Exploring the world. Orbs - 0/6
Up next: ??
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Randomized run idea