You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. What exactly determines your likelihood of running away from a battle?

User Info: MI4 REAL

MI4 REAL
1 month ago#1
What part of your agility comes into play when determining the likelihood of running away from battle?

Is it the average agility of all living party members?

Is it the agility of whoever is in front of the party?

(And of course it's your agility vs the enemies agility)
"Er...well, y'know. You can't make an omelette without um...destroying a forest.....or something" -Black Mage

User Info: Hasshiro

Hasshiro
1 month ago#2
In DWIII, Agility has nothing to do with the ability to run from a battle.

Excerpt from slartifier's Game Mechanics FAQ:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[2.2] OTHER COMBAT FORMULAS -- RUNNING
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Three checks are made each time you RUN:

1) Flat 1/8 chance to run
2) Automatic run if the Hero is at least 11 levels higher than all enemies
3) 1/4 chance on round 2, 1/2 chance on rounds 3 and 4

Yep, monsters have levels, too - which means if Hero's level is high enough, running will always succeed. Otherwise it's pure chance.
I don't cheat. I play by house rules.

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
1 month ago#3
The FAQ is incorrect.

It's 1/2 to run first try, 1/2 to run second try, 3/4 to run third try, and guaranteed to run fourth try.

Of course, the battle has to be runnable in the first place.
Let's get Dangerous.

User Info: toritoritori247

toritoritori247
1 month ago#4
Really? Are you getting this from the code, Darkwing? I'm not doubting you or anything, I know you speedrun this game (or at least, you did at one point, not to mention some of the other crazy stuff like that solo Fighter attempt, which I even tuned in for some of back in the day), but I know slartifer compiled all of that info from when 1who dug through the code forever ago (wow, that was around a decade ago, as I actually first made this specific account to comment on that old hack thread lol) and figured out a lot of stuff. All the same, I'm sure slart would want to fix that FAQ if the info is incorrect.
Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin

Darkwing Duck
1 month ago#5
toritoritori247 posted...
Really? Are you getting this from the code, Darkwing? I'm not doubting you or anything, I know you speedrun this game (or at least, you did at one point, not to mention some of the other crazy stuff like that solo Fighter attempt, which I even tuned in for some of back in the day), but I know slartifer compiled all of that info from when 1who dug through the code forever ago (wow, that was around a decade ago, as I actually first made this specific account to comment on that old hack thread lol) and figured out a lot of stuff. All the same, I'm sure slart would want to fix that FAQ if the info is incorrect.

There are a few other things that 1who got wrong. Most are inconsequential and lie more in the bestiary.

But yeah, try to log any instance where you don't run on turn 4 on a runnable battle. Won't ever happen.

I think 1who ended up relooking at it, but never fixed it in the doc.

Here it is. Post #167 in the mechanics thread.

By 1who:

As for running, I worked out the general mechanics in pseudo-code a while ago

CHANCE TO RUN:
RunChance [4] = {128, 128, 64, 0}
LvlDiff = Hero's level - highest enemy level
if ($566 & 8 == 1) run
else if (LvlDiff >= 10) run
else x = $566 & 3
if (Rand (0..255) >= RunChance[x]) Run
else run failed
Let's get Dangerous.
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: toritoritori247

toritoritori247
1 month ago#6
Makes sense. I haven't played this in a bit, but I played the hell out of it in years past, doing a number of normal runs and challenge runs alike. I rarely recall ever getting to turn 4 when trying all out to run, much less past turn 4, so yeah, that makes sense from what I've seen, but I wasn't sure and I wouldn't try to rely on old memories just from things I've witnessed. And I don't know too much about code, so I just rely on things dug up by other folks. Anyway, thanks for digging up that post!

Gonna go ahead and tag @slartifer here to make him aware of this topic. Not sure how often he comes around here still (I hadn't checked this board in a while now, just lucky timing that I stumbled onto this), but it hasn't been that long since I've spoken to him, and while I can't say for sure, I feel confident that he would want to correct any errors that might exist in that FAQ.
Trusting my soul to the ice cream assassin

User Info: slartifer

slartifer
1 month ago#7
Thanks for the tag tori! This is still on my boards list but I am lazy and don't click through very often... also, hi MI and hi Darkwing, nice to see you guys around still.

First off a note for future posterity that 1who correctly one of the lines in that pseudocode in the following post (#168), just to avoid propagating something no one thinks is correct.

Darkwing: are you saying that $566 is actually a counter for how many times you've tried to run? (Or how many times you've selected the "run" command, if there's a parallel glitch to parry/fight here...) I'm kind of surprised that 1who would not have noticed such an obvious pattern in how its value changed, but maybe he didn't look at it in situ. Can you confirm this is how the value changes? Thanks!

Darkwing Duck
1 month ago#8
I have no knowledge of coding, and any suggestions are based off speculation and anecdotal evidence. I'd say my anecdotal evidence is pretty vast, but it is not based on the coding.

EDIT:

I believe my speculation was a flag for a preemptive strike round and runnable vs. unrunnable battle
Let's get Dangerous.
(edited 1 month ago)

slartifer
1 month ago#9
Okay. When I get some time free I guess I can fire up fceux and check on that myself. Your suggestion does sound plausible, but I'm hesitant to change it without verification.

Another possibility is that $566 is a set of multiple values -- that would explain the initial check, which checks bit 3 (for pre-emptive strike, perhaps) rather than bits 0 and 1. DW3 does continue DW2's annoying habit of storing multiple values within a single byte. Unrunnable checks do not seem to occur within 1who's pseudocode, but it's not hard to imagine that flag hanging out in bit 2, come to think of it...

slartifer
1 month ago#10
OK, I looked into this. The two least bits of $566 do seem to be set to zero at the start of a battle and do seem to count the number of times you've tried to run. Bit 3 probably is for pre-emptive strikes though I didn't test that. The other bits seem unrelated however -- bit 2 sometimes changes mid-round, and bit 6 appears related to what action the hero takes.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. What exactly determines your likelihood of running away from a battle?