You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Best Party/Plan (Change my mind)

User Info: atmasabr

atmasabr
5 months ago#31
Then there's a few monster groups I considered but I think 2 Fighters + 1 Wizard have only a slight disadvantage in, or the Wizard advantage is inconsequential, namely:

Deadly Toadstools
Late-appearing Putrepups
Four Wyverns
Four Magiwyverns (for Increase or Bounce; they're too fast to cast on)
Goategons
Man o' Wars

However much they're clearly designed to be magic bait, I'm not all too sure where Tentacles, Kragacles, or the higher-class armored knights would fall, either.
Do your own research!

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
5 months ago#32
Frost clouds are better for the fighter-hero party, generally speaking.

For a Hr-Fr-Fr-Fr party, your best choice is Firebane from Meterorite Armband Hero and Staff of Thunder from a fighter and clean up from the other two.

Marauders are best dealt with with Expel. Fire and Ice both are I believe 30% resistance.

Kragacles are pretty vulnerable to beat/defeat.

Wyverns in a 3 fighter party will likely have three go down before they act.

Man O' Wars suffer from same issue as Marauders, 30% resistance to practically every damage spell.

7 marine slimes is more annoying for all attack party, which is why your first choice should always be get the Staff of Thunder. If you don't know where that is, running or magic is by far the best option.

In contrast, Slime Snaii resist all magic and need to be melee'd.
Let's get Dangerous.

User Info: spadesZero

spadesZero
5 months ago#33
Consider my mind changed.

Soldiers are fun, and cool. they are a giant sack of hitpoints. However, I would say that because the fighter has that much quicker attacks that kill monsters before they can deal damage, Fighter is better than a soldier in terms of damage mitigation.

Maybe if a soldier's Agility were "Average" and not "Dismal", you could have 1 soldier and put the meteorite armband on that soldier, bringing their speed up to par with the fighters. However, the Soldier's agility is, in fact, dismal. A meteorite armband brings it to "average".

You are also correct that the added flexibility of a caster might bring the party up a notch. Ergo, the "Best Party/Plan" is a toss up between:

Hero
Fighter
Fighter
Fighter

and

Hero
Fighter
Fighter
Pilgrim => Sage

The second party has an advantage against bosses and necrogond. The first party has an advantage against.... everything else.

Because of that, I'm inclined to lean towards the first party; but the addition of a caster probably makes the game more fun.
(message deleted)

User Info: Roundman

Roundman
5 months ago#35
Hero-Soldier-Fighter-Sage would be better for boss battles, or any group in general that your party is unlikely to defeat in a single turn before enemy action, than either of those parties. Since a playthrough requires boss battles and almost always features numerous encounters with tough and durable random enemy groups, I still think that this configuration is the best balanced overall party. I'd rather have a Soldier than an additional Fighter against Orochi, Baramos, etc., as well as against tougher enemy parties such as those in the cave Northwest of Tantegel with Troll Kings and Hydras.

The Soldier's defensive capabilities, especially as augmented by gear such as magic armor and dragon mail, outweigh the lack of critical hits. The meteorite armband sufficiently mitigates to speed issue to ensure that the soldier doesn't always go last. I would expect the all fighter group to be torn apart by enemies with fire / ice breath. I wouldn't want to use them against Orochi at normal levels or try to take them through the Cave Northwest of Tantegel. The group with the sage would be better, as at least you'd have another healer to keep the fighters alive (though magic doesn't work in the CNWoT), but you'd still be wasting turns healing the fighters in the late game.
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
5 months ago#36
Hydras would be dead with two fighters before they act.
Let's get Dangerous.

User Info: Roundman

Roundman
5 months ago#37
Darkwing Duck posted...
Hydras would be dead with two fighters before they act.

Maybe, if they focused on a single Hydra while neglecting the other enemies in the group. They would be vulnerable to the Salamander or the Troll King who they'd be ignoring to focus on the Hydra. The Fighters' relatively weak defense and lack of magic / breath protection would make them vulnerable in late game encounters with high HP enemies (including the Putregon groups in Charlock). I'd still take the Soldier over one of the Fighters.
(edited 5 months ago)

atmasabr
5 months ago#38
For a Hr-Fr-Fr-Fr party, your best choice is Firebane from Meterorite Armband Hero and Staff of Thunder from a fighter and clean up from the other two.

Hmmmm, Meteorite Armband on the Hero?

That disadvantages the Defense from Fighter 2. Is that really safe to do? Two Firebanes are unreliable but as you say there are two for cleanup. If MP isn't an issue (except that it is), Boom and Staff of Thunder are foolproof.

Kragacles are pretty vulnerable to beat/defeat.

Well that doesn't help either a Why Are You Still a Wizard or a Rank 4 Fighter.

7 marine slimes is more annoying for all attack party

Huh? In the NES version I don't remember them doing anything but attack, and their non-Increase Defense you can sleep through just mashing "A".

The Soldier's defensive capabilities, especially as augmented by gear such as magic armor and dragon mail, outweigh the lack of critical hits.

But TONY the female Soldier got lots of Tremendous Hits when she used the Sword of Destruction. No, wait, actually it was WIZZ, the Wizard-turned female Soldier. And you forgot how powerful the Armor of Hades is against spells like Snowstorm and Blazemost. It's almost as good as the female Hero's figure.

*record scratch*

Er-ahem!

But the Demon Axe allows Soldiers to get critical hits often, too. And they hurt. I otherwise agree.
Do your own research!

atmasabr
5 months ago#39
In Dragon Warrior 2, especially at the end of the game, you could grind to ridiculous levels and still lose to an unlucky enemy encounter, and the final boss is always a crapshoot no matter what.

I've had some loooooong fights with DW 2's final boss, but I've never lost to him. The one before him is much more unreliable.

206, 158, 155. Is that overleveled?

And my save has the Prince of Midenhall equipped with the Sword of Destruction, a major handicap in that fight.

Now that I think on how horrific sleep status is when fighting Sea Slugs I don't really understand why I've never lost.
Do your own research!

User Info: Robot2600

Robot2600
4 months ago#40
i like goof-offs still,

i'm posting a novel about a goof-off on my blog, chapter by chapter.
adammaillet.blogspot.com

the best party... soldier, goof-off, wizard, hero
&
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Best Party/Plan (Change my mind)