You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Best Party/Plan (Change my mind)

User Info: Roundman

Roundman
6 months ago#21
spadesZero posted...
I would argue that if you want to put the best late game party together, it would be the hero, two goof-offs, and a pilgrim who would become a Sage with the book of Satori. Then, get 3 sages. After you learn all the spells for all three sages, turn two (or three!) of them into fighters, and grind them back up.

You now have a full party who can cast every spell and all fight very well.

The problem? You are starting with goof-offs, making the beginning of the game (some of the most difficult parts), harder. You are also putting a LOT more grinding in as you have a lot of class changing.

Simply put, a regular joe (Not speedrunner) would beat the game faster with my suggested party. Starting with even one goof-off tells me that you are increasing the difficulty of the harder early game in exchange for an easier time at the easier end-game. The trade-off doesn't make sense.

I made a party of super characters like that for the GBC version- I made 3 sages, leveled them to 55, then class changed them to Soldiers and Fighters and leveled them back to 55. That gave me a party that could reliably beat the post-game super boss in few enough turns to win the prizes the boss offered. That kind of super character is completely unnecessary to beat NES DW 3 though.

User Info: spadesZero

spadesZero
6 months ago#22
Exactly. I've done that before in the remakes too, for the purpose of defeating the post game boss.

The NES DW3 is my preferred version because of the non-trivial difficulty. I sleep through the remakes because they are so much easier, and I also really don't like the weirdo personality system.

In the NES version, you have the freedom to change classes, which is cool, but you also have to look at Return on Investment if you dislike grinding too much.

User Info: the_quickness

the_quickness
6 months ago#23
The true easiest party, for me, (so far?) is Hero and 3 Fighters. No class changes.

https://imgur.com/a/MjHOon5

Had to grind in the Necrogond. That wasn't too bad.

Orochi was beat at level 21 in 2 rounds.

Baramos was beat at level 35, with level 34 Fighters, I didn't count the rounds because I wasn't sure I was going to win. I had 2 people die at the end but we made it. It wasn't like you get XP for beating Baramos anyway.

Zoma was beat at level 42, with level 40 Fighters.

In the first picture, I hadn't fully healed my Hero's MP before the fight. In the second picture, I did a little better - used a couple Lightnings so the fight went quicker. In the 3rd picture, I just gave the Sphere of Light to a different person, and the rest of the fight seemed to go a lot differently after that for some reason. Zoma still attacked first on the first round; in the last fight, my Hero cast Lightning in the first round instead of just attacking, and I used Healusall in round 2 in all 3 fights.
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust, if you don't take it out and use it, it's going to rust. - best line from Highlander 2

User Info: atmasabr

atmasabr
6 months ago#24
Really, I believe the only truly 'hard' part of the game that requires grinding is right when you get to Kanave/Romaly, the game gets a major difficulty spike.

Money-grinding, maybe, but level grinding?

Well, it is a rather compact area you enter while around Level 7-ish, and it has a Level 14 dungeon. But I think the Kandar Tower is easy-ish.

I can beat the game with just 2 people but even I'll admit it's not all sunshine and sprinkles. The game is easy at points, but there are major hurdles to get over.

Hero and Fighter for me, and I cheated to have the Magic Bikini from the beginning (actually the whole point was to find a way to use it for fun). And eventually I brought in a third fighter mostly for fun and boss fights.

There's definitely some fights where everything depends on what spell the Hero (who's no Merlin) uses first and whether it works.

The true easiest party, for me, (so far?) is Hero and 3 Fighters. No class changes.

Hmmmmm

I absolutely get it, but may I suggest it might be a better idea to let one of the Fighters drop on Baramos so you only have to heal three guys? One guy parries (most of the time), one guy attacks, one guy heals. Zoma of course is wilder. That and Fighters have a pretty sad level up rate at that part of the game.
Do your own research!
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: UAZaqwert

UAZaqwert
6 months ago#25
Wizard is weak early but becomes extremely strong as teh game progresses.

His AOE spells are awesome and Bikill makes your physical fighters absolute beasts.

I think the suggested party of Solider, Pilgrim, Wizard is the best and most well rounded which is why it's the officially suggested one.

Using more physical fighters make the early game much easier, but the late game much harder.

spadesZero
6 months ago#26
"Early on" is one of the more difficult parts of the game. Having a party member weak there is a huge liability.

Wizard's AOE spells are good, but not as good as having more attacker in your party. Especially when you consider that there are a lot of reusable items that also AOE.

"Using more physical fighters make the early game much easier, but the late game much harder."

Are you kidding? Fighters start out okay, are awesome mid game, but are AMAZING late game. Late game is all about more attackers in your party.

As for Bikill, do you know what's better than Bikill? Another attacker. Boss fights don't last long enough for a bikill to give you that much more bang for your buck. And the ones that could are constantly removing your buffs.

The Hero + Three Fighters is a pretty bestial party. You don't have as strong of healing, but you don't need it as the enemies survive to do damage a lot shorter of a time. I could see that party giving mine a run for its money, if not outright beating it out. :) Fighters are awesome.

atmasabr
5 months ago#27
"Early on" is one of the more difficult parts of the game. Having a party member weak there is a huge liability.

Demon Anteater attacks!
Demon Anteater attacks!
Demon Anteater attacks!
Demon Anteater attacks!

Vampire chants the spell of IceBolt!

That's only true if he survives to be healed. If he doesn't you turn the **** around and limp out or plow on through with greater caution.

I seriously don't think defensively weak characters are a liability. I think characters who can't do much with their actions are worse. Goof Offs, certainly, and not infrequently the Hero and Soldier when they're asleep before they ever get to attack, the Pilgrim when he's not healing, or, yes, the Wizard when you have them locked on Parry. Fighter's only an offensive liability when he's killed or paralyzed outright.

If anything having the weak party member drop first makes it so that you always listen to the first warning that you're in trouble. You don't tend to lose a battle because the Wizard falls. Other warning signs, you might because you ignore them. I see so many videos on Youtube in RPGs of players not recognizing they need to take drastic action.

Boss fights don't last long enough for a bikill to give you that much more bang for your buck.

I simply do not agree with this.

Two physical fighters + BiKill gives you four physical fighters.

Three physical fighters without BiKill gives you three physical fighters.

Now, almost certainly the difference between two and three physical fighters is enough to overcome boss regeneration with the same decisiveness as going from two to four. The hero's physical attack can be unreliable if you're using him as a healer, and one attack per round simply will not cut it. And Zoma in particular is, shall we say, "resistant" against BiKill.

But Zoma is also resistant against single-healer parties.

You can probably snooze through the three pre-Zoma bosses with just the Sage's Stone, but there the math is still superior with BiKill. With Baramos, who almost demands a two-healer party, I think the comparison is not even close. You want that fight to end quickly.
Do your own research!
(edited 5 months ago)

spadesZero
5 months ago#28
Two physical fighters + BiKill gives you four physical fighters.

Three physical fighters without BiKill gives you three physical fighters.

Not really. Suppose you only have one bikill caster.

You would have two physical fighters the first round, three physical fighters the second round, and four physical fighters the third round.

So, it takes 3 rounds to surpass having 3 physical fighters. So, this is a boss-only statement.

And really, the only fights that are long enough to make this matter are Baramos and Zoma. Zoma can dispel your party giving you two physical fighters again.

So really, the two physical fighters + BiKill is only optimal against Baramos.

It's not optimal with the rest of the game, where three physical fighters > two physical fighters.

You might be right if there were like 10x more bosses in the game, as there are in much later Dragon Quests, but that simply isn't the case.

I think having three physical fighters makes the game much more simple to navigate, and the bosses in the game aren't hard enough to heavily modify your party for. In this particular JRPG, getting to a boss is significantly more difficult than actually beating the boss.

Case in point: I've played through Dragon Warrior III quite a few times with many parties. I have never had a problem with Baramos or Zoma, and always beat them the first time I fought them.

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
5 months ago#29
Wizard has high agility. Will cast before soldier and likely before hero and it's an immediate effect.
Let's get Dangerous.

atmasabr
5 months ago#30
Not really. Suppose you only have one bikill caster.

You would have two physical fighters the first round, three physical fighters the second round, and four physical fighters the third round.

So, it takes 3 rounds to surpass having 3 physical fighters. So, this is a boss-only statement.

Well first of all, as Darkwing Duck pointed out, Wizard is faster than Hero (Soldier, too). Sage with the Meteorite Armband is faster than both, too.

As for being a boss-only statement, of course it is. And I do not at all agree that boss fights don't last that long where it makes a difference.

It's not optimal with the rest of the game, where three physical fighters > two physical fighters.

The worst random fight in the game for Three Fighters that I think Two Fighters + One Wizard can do better, let me think...

Seven Goopis.

...come to think of it, you can always just run with no consequence. Maybe Four to Five Goopis is more apt.
(much less lopsided)
Five-enemy combination of Deadly Toadstools and Madhounds
Five Frost Clouds

Tossups:

Three Skeletons
Four Vile Shadows
Two Boss Trolls
Three Marauders (Wizards are strictly better here but only if you know which attack spell to use--which I don't)

Superior But Inconsequential (you can always just run)

Four Infernus Crabs
Bomb Crags

This raises another key weakness of the three Fighter party, although only in comparison to two Fighters plus Sage: no access to RobMagic. This means healing is strictly limited in dungeons. The only dungeon that really matters in is the Cave to the Necrogond (in the World of Darkness you get Shields of Strength, etc.).

So when it comes to randoms, dungeons, and long overworld treks, while I think three Fighters is viable and powerful in every single situation, I would say the added flexibility of a caster grants more in survivability and offensive pre-emption than s/he takes away.
Do your own research!
(edited 5 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Best Party/Plan (Change my mind)