You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Best Party/Plan (Change my mind)

User Info: spadesZero

spadesZero
7 months ago#11
Oh, and to expand more on what Darkwing Duck said;

The american instruction book for Dragon Warrior 3 does indeed contain advice on how to exploit the parry-fight bug.

The american instruction book wasn't written by the original game designers, but by the team that localized it in America. It's written like a strategy guide; so a group of testers played the game and offered their best advice on how to get through it.

Given that the parry-fight is obviously an unintended exploit, and it doesn't exist before or since, and in all remakes of the game it also doesn't exist... that with the addition of common sense, I believe we can safely conclude that it is, in fact, a bug.

I personally believe that exploiting it is cheating. If you don't think so, you do you; I'm not going to tell you how to enjoy your video games. Just know that you are in for a far less challenging experience.

User Info: the_quickness

the_quickness
7 months ago#12
There is no "best" party. It's just whatever you have fun using.

I have fun with a Duo of Hero+Soldier until I get the ship. It's super fast because I skip Noaniels and the Golden Crown. After that, though, I tend to get 2 more people and be more grindy, but I could probably beat the game with just those two, considering how many people try Solo Hero challenges.

I've tried Solo on the NES and it's fast, as well, but if you get Numb by anything, it's considered a wipe, and regenerating bosses SUCK.
"What if it was just one guy with six guns?" "Why don't you let me do the thinking, genius?"
- Boondock Saints

spadesZero
7 months ago#13
Well, I mean, if you're measuring by fun factor, then you are right, there is no 'best' party. If you want a challenge, the hero and three goof-offs are one of the best.

However, if you are talking about having the easiest time through the game, with the least grinding, then there is a theoretical 'best'. And it's probably different depending on whether you are a casual player, playing the game for the first or second time, or you are a speedrunner.

I believe that my party is the best for the former. :)

the_quickness
7 months ago#14
Yeah, if you have played the game a million times like I have, you might have a skewed perspective vs. the regular player who is kind of new(ish).

I can beat the game with just 2 people but even I'll admit it's not all sunshine and sprinkles. The game is easy at points, but there are major hurdles to get over.

https://imgur.com/a/jrlFrtr

The stuff you think is going to be hard isn't. Kandar was cake. Orochi was easy. Baramos, honestly, not that difficult, even though I was level 41, which is a little higher than you'd be with a 4 person crew, most likely.

It's the weird things you forget about, like the enemies in the Necrogond with Numb Breath type attacks. All it takes is your two guys to get numb in one move, and that's a party wipe as far as the game is concerned.

Spells like Beat and Defeat suddenly become a lot more scary when you only have 2 people. If your Hero dies, your Soldier's probably not going to bring them back to life, and suddenly he'll be stuck halfway into a dungeon with nothing like Outside at his disposal. If you get hit with Defeat, there's a real chance you both die whether you like it or not. The best revival spell your Hero gets is Vivify, and you can run through a lot of MP with it missing over and over.

When it came time to take on Zoma's castle, I ran a lot and skipped all the loot. It wasn't going to be any good to me, anyway.

But it's fun, in a weird and frustrating way. "Why am I doing this again?" The answer, of course, was just to see if I could. :)
"What if it was just one guy with six guns?" "Why don't you let me do the thinking, genius?"
- Boondock Saints

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
7 months ago#15
I found soldier to be a bad partner to the hero. Maybe 'cause it was the first of the series, but it took me awhile to get through. Fighter is better. Don't need lightning to beat Baramos with fighter, wizard, or sage. Can do it with pilgrim, but it's very luck based with Baramos targeting and Infermost hitting and at high damage. Merchant is serviceable, but you need lightning. Goof-off you're better off just soloing Baramos.

Another bad thing with soldier is that a soldier has poor luck. In a foursome, it isn't as important, but it means more in a twosome. Luck modifies status effect stuff, so a soldier is going to be hit more by it than any other party member.
Let's get Dangerous.

spadesZero
7 months ago#16
Compared to it's predecessor, Dragon Warrior/Quest 3 is actually pretty easy.

In Dragon Warrior 2, especially at the end of the game, you could grind to ridiculous levels and still lose to an unlucky enemy encounter, and the final boss is always a crapshoot no matter what.

User Info: Volcanon2

Volcanon2
7 months ago#17
For a standard party, you should include a goof off in your party, and then your choice of priest or wizard.

The goof off becomes a sage with a high luck stat at level 20. The other magic user becomes a sage after you get the book of satori. Until you hit Dhama a goof off has okay-ish armor and weapons and will just be a squishier soldier.

Your choice of fighter or soldier for the last character.

In the SNES version beating Baramos and Zoma alone gives you different speech from the king of Aliahan. Something like, "wow, you did it all by yourself!" Not sure if the NES version has that. Otherwise its a bit of a grind to do it alone but you're gaining way more experience than you otherwise would and money is no issue.

Edit -- I found having bikill available for the Orochi fight is always useful, though there's easy optional dungeons like the one with the orb flute in it (the one near "los angeles") that you can get your levels up at first after getting the ship.
(edited 7 months ago)

the_quickness
6 months ago#18
DW2... yes, that game was hard. The final boss could use Healall on himself, one of the final bosses used Sacrifice... and you had level caps. I think 50, 40, and 35... it's been some decades so I might be wrong. No thanks on a repeat of that.

This game's got so much more replay value. You can argue about party arrangements until the end of time.

I almost always skip the Echo Flute tower. I know where all the orbs are, so I don't need it. I don't feel weird about not following a set sequence of events.

This version is so much harder to try to solo with the Hero than the remakes. There's no boomerang or whip or other "hit groups with a single weapon" type of thing going on. There are no personalities to give you a build type, or Pachisi tracks to exploit for power. You have to run away from some fights early on, especially with the crabs that cast Increase, unless you want to waste precious MP casting Fireball on them. Enemies that summon more enemies are also big trouble because you'll be killing them one at a time and the fight will feel like it's not going to end until you die.

I've only taken the solo Hero as far as getting the boat and Final Key. After that it always feels time to recruit some dudes. I don't want to get wiped by a Man O'War making my only guy numb.
- Boondock Saints
(edited 6 months ago)

User Info: Roundman

Roundman
6 months ago#19
Volcanon2 posted...
For a standard party, you should include a goof off in your party, and then your choice of priest or wizard.

The goof off becomes a sage with a high luck stat at level 20. The other magic user becomes a sage after you get the book of satori. Until you hit Dhama a goof off has okay-ish armor and weapons and will just be a squishier soldier.

Your choice of fighter or soldier for the last character.

In the SNES version beating Baramos and Zoma alone gives you different speech from the king of Aliahan. Something like, "wow, you did it all by yourself!" Not sure if the NES version has that. Otherwise its a bit of a grind to do it alone but you're gaining way more experience than you otherwise would and money is no issue.

Edit -- I found having bikill available for the Orochi fight is always useful, though there's easy optional dungeons like the one with the orb flute in it (the one near "los angeles") that you can get your levels up at first after getting the ship.

No need to bring a Goof-off from the beginning. If you really want two sages, then it's better to wait to until the rest of your party is strong enough to fight later game enemies (e.g. enemies around Samanao or Necrogond). Then you can bring in your level 1 Goof-off and level it to 20 in the matter of a few minutes.

If you want to go that route but do not want to waste a character slot, your initial party should be something like Hero-Soldier-Merchant-Pilgrim. Convert your Pilgrim into a Sage with the Book.
Then, when you're ready to level up the Goof-Off, take your Merchant to New Town and then place the Merchant with the Goof-off. Merchants are decent for the first part of the game, more so than Goof-offs.

spadesZero
6 months ago#20
I would argue that if you want to put the best late game party together, it would be the hero, two goof-offs, and a pilgrim who would become a Sage with the book of Satori. Then, get 3 sages. After you learn all the spells for all three sages, turn two (or three!) of them into fighters, and grind them back up.

You now have a full party who can cast every spell and all fight very well.

The problem? You are starting with goof-offs, making the beginning of the game (some of the most difficult parts), harder. You are also putting a LOT more grinding in as you have a lot of class changing.

Simply put, a regular joe (Not speedrunner) would beat the game faster with my suggested party. Starting with even one goof-off tells me that you are increasing the difficulty of the harder early game in exchange for an easier time at the easier end-game. The trade-off doesn't make sense.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Best Party/Plan (Change my mind)