• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Does the job system in DQ3 allow you to abuse/gain extra stats/min max a bit?

User Info: Anokatax

Anokatax
9 months ago#1
Looking for a JRPG where I can max the stats of a character or at least bring em higher.

For example, can I make character, level them up, job change, level up, repeat over and over - will that make my character super strong? Or will he be the same as a normal leveled up character?

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
9 months ago#2
When you class change, your stats are halved and you take on the growth rates of the new class. Growth rates include stat caps, so if your previous character was a strong fighter and you change into a weak wizard, you'll never gain strength as a wizard since you'll be above the cap.

So you can't make a super character in Dragon Warrior III.

You can max out everything other than MP via stat boosting items you can farm off of enemies. That would take awhile, though.
Let's get Dangerous.

Anokatax
9 months ago#3
Alright thanks! Not what I'm looking for in a game then :/

Appreciate it.

User Info: atmasabr

atmasabr
9 months ago#4
Absolutely not, especially in the NES version. Most classes hit a stat gain ceiling around L50 or so where they gain very little per level up, although the magician classes are a little more lenient in that regard.

The best you can do is have a character learn every Pilgrim, then every Wizard spell in the game, and level up the Wizard to an absurdly high level so they have max Agility and Intelligence, then change them back to Soldier or Fighter. This will give the Soldier more Agility and natural defense than they'll ever get naturally, for a grand total of maybe 45 extra defense, which Soldiers don't need. Then they'll approach maxing out their HP and get a hefty amount of Strength (however I believe Fighters approach maxing out Strength). All it really gives the Fighter is the MP.

As for going Magician1>Warrior>Magician2, the only stat that will see a benefit is Strength, and you'll certainly never see a Wizard, or likely any other magician class with 100+ Strength in regular play. But then that's feeding off of a weapon that only adds about 60 Attack. That is simply not going to be an impressive physical attack. The other physical stats have no chance of benefiting in the long run.

With the GBA and SFC versions you may get some better min-max luck due to it's different "personalities" and how they have mixed effects on stat growth. I've tried making a full-casting Fighter. It's *tough* to hit 150 MP after class change.

Actually the game you really want to play is DQ IX, they'll give you permanent stat boosts when you gain and use class skill points in the different classes.
Do your own research!

Anokatax
9 months ago#5
atmasabr posted...
Absolutely not, especially in the NES version. Most classes hit a stat gain ceiling around L50 or so where they gain very little per level up, although the magician classes are a little more lenient in that regard.

The best you can do is have a character learn every Pilgrim, then every Wizard spell in the game, and level up the Wizard to an absurdly high level so they have max Agility and Intelligence, then change them back to Soldier or Fighter. This will give the Soldier more Agility and natural defense than they'll ever get naturally, for a grand total of maybe 45 extra defense, which Soldiers don't need. Then they'll approach maxing out their HP and get a hefty amount of Strength (however I believe Fighters approach maxing out Strength). All it really gives the Fighter is the MP.

As for going Magician1>Warrior>Magician2, the only stat that will see a benefit is Strength, and you'll certainly never see a Wizard, or likely any other magician class with 100+ Strength in regular play. But then that's feeding off of a weapon that only adds about 60 Attack. That is simply not going to be an impressive physical attack. The other physical stats have no chance of benefiting in the long run.

With the GBA and SFC versions you may get some better min-max luck due to it's different "personalities" and how they have mixed effects on stat growth. I've tried making a full-casting Fighter. It's *tough* to hit 150 MP after class change.

Actually the game you really want to play is DQ IX, they'll give you permanent stat boosts when you gain and use class skill points in the different classes.

Thanks for so much detail. I actually did play and beat IX a while back. If more time passes, I may revisit :/
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Does the job system in DQ3 allow you to abuse/gain extra stats/min max a bit?
  • Topic Archived