• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Your best advice please

User Info: atmasabr

atmasabr
1 year ago#21
As far as rare drops go, are there many, and are they worth spending the time to get them?

There are quite a few. Most of them are either too rare or below par by the time you get them.

The best by far is the Thor's Sword, which is the most reliable final weapon for the Soldier.
The other two possible final Soldier weapons Demon Axe and Sword of Destruction, both combine a high critical rate with a high miss rate (Demon Axe is more reliable), which is really pretty nifty, definitely useful when fighting Metal Battles to get those last few level ups in. But when you're throwing BiKill on him for a boss battle, you want the Thor's Sword. Thor's Sword also lets the Soldier cast Firevolt in battle, which is not as useful in practice as that sounds.

For seeds it's worth it to spend a little effort killing the specific enemy last. Maybe even running away a few times from normal strength enemies to fight more of the ones that drop seeds. Going beyond that is a bit much.

Now, speaking of Seeds, don't use Intelligence or Vitality seeds, ever. Because of how statistics and level ups work, Intelligence and Vitality don't do anything for your stats except act as a barometer for how much HP and MP your characters don't need, so feeding your characters Vitality and Intelligence seeds will only hurt. Strength, Agility, and Luck Seeds are highly questionable for characters that already have high growth rates in those stats as well. Those five stats all have an impact on how much of the same stat you gain as you level up. Fighter already has an explosive Agility growth, so don't bother with giving them 3 extra points.

One thing you probably won't learn on your own: attacking your own party members has a function. Sleeping characters can be awakened by attacking them. There's actually a special message for this and it's a nifty mechanic. Confused characters can also come back to their senses by attacking them with other party members. But don't do this unless you're desperate, it's almost always a better idea to run away. Actually it's usually a better idea to try to obliterate the enemy rather than cure one party member's sleep, too.

Now if only there were a way to cure Surround and Stopspell in this game that didn't involve killing off the character.

It seems the game has a small amount of weirdness with the Return spell.

There's a part of the game (it's a *spoiler*) where you "forget" almost your entire Return list for a plot reason ("Princess Alena! Return to Santeem Castle immediately G Gasp!"). You'll remember it again a little later.

Don't do anything funny like blasting your Wizard out of the party with Limbo during that time. If you move on with the story, Wizard comes back with the Return list still forgotten and will have to relearn it from scratch. It's those kind of shenanigans that led to the creation of the "mysterious force" that "contains Return" in IV.
Do your own research!

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
1 year ago#22
atmasabr posted...
As far as rare drops go, are there many, and are they worth spending the time to get them?

There are quite a few. Most of them are either too rare or below par by the time you get them.

The best by far is the Thor's Sword, which is the most reliable final weapon for the Soldier.
The other two possible final Soldier weapons Demon Axe and Sword of Destruction, both combine a high critical rate with a high miss rate (Demon Axe is more reliable), which is really pretty nifty, definitely useful when fighting Metal Battles to get those last few level ups in. But when you're throwing BiKill on him for a boss battle, you want the Thor's Sword. Thor's Sword also lets the Soldier cast Firevolt in battle, which is not as useful in practice as that sounds.

I’ve been looking at the equipment lists at rpgclassics so I noticed those, and how they’re drops only.

For seeds it's worth it to spend a little effort killing the specific enemy last. Maybe even running away a few times from normal strength enemies to fight more of the ones that drop seeds. Going beyond that is a bit much.

Now, speaking of Seeds, don't use Intelligence or Vitality seeds, ever. Because of how statistics and level ups work, Intelligence and Vitality don't do anything for your stats except act as a barometer for how much HP and MP your characters don't need, so feeding your characters Vitality and Intelligence seeds will only hurt. Strength, Agility, and Luck Seeds are highly questionable for characters that already have high growth rates in those stats as well. Those five stats all have an impact on how much of the same stat you gain as you level up. Fighter already has an explosive Agility growth, so don't bother with giving them 3 extra points.

The game mechanics FAQ has been very helpful in this regard. I’m not going to farm seeds, so I’ll use them appropriately as they come. The FAQ doesn’t mention negative results from using Acorns of Life though, but I’ve only used the one from Isis on my fighter.

One thing you probably won't learn on your own: attacking your own party members has a function. Sleeping characters can be awakened by attacking them. There's actually a special message for this and it's a nifty mechanic. Confused characters can also come back to their senses by attacking them with other party members. But don't do this unless you're desperate, it's almost always a better idea to run away. Actually it's usually a better idea to try to obliterate the enemy rather than cure one party member's sleep, too.

Sleep is annoying, but at least it doesn’t have deeper sleep like some later games do. With no Wizard I just pound on things mostly, I even gave my soldier the meteorite armband so he’s more useful. I haven’t encountered confuse yet, but I’m sure I will.

Now if only there were a way to cure Surround and Stopspell in this game that didn't involve killing off the character.

Lol yeah but I’m used to this from my youth

It seems the game has a small amount of weirdness with the Return spell.

There's a part of the game (it's a *spoiler*) where you "forget" almost your entire Return list for a plot reason ("Princess Alena! Return to Santeem Castle immediately G Gasp!"). You'll remember it again a little later.

Not there yet but my issue with that got fixed up. Anyone else blame Alena and co. for letting loose the Golden Bracelet in IV?

It's those kind of shenanigans that led to the creation of the "mysterious force" that "contains Return" in IV.

Aka “We have a plot device here so we’re not letting you leave mid scene and screw up the whole story order.”
Playing: Dragon Warrior III - Isis Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring Chocobo Forests, GTA:SA - 77.01%
Next up: FFII, GTA:VC, Dragon Quest V

atmasabr
1 year ago#23
Anyone else blame Alena and co. for letting loose the Golden Bracelet in IV?

No.

Necrosaro was extremely resourceful and would have found it anyway.

Aka “We have a plot device here so we’re not letting you leave mid scene and screw up the whole story order.”

I almost mentioned in that other topic that some rather strange things happen if you start with the Final Key pre-Chapter 5. I tried it with Taloon and wound up encountering sea monsters in the desert. They were much too tough for me.

Then when I ran into them later in the game they were so wimpy...
Do your own research!

User Info: KongZhou

KongZhou
1 year ago#24
I do think acorns have the same issue as the seeds, if your character has too high HP at level up because of seeds then they are more likely not to gain, or to gain less, HP for the level.

I think the best bets are either to give seeds to those with a low respective stat for a temporary boost, or just hold until you are near the end and distribute then.

Kigalas
1 year ago#25
I gots me a Sage now. Switching from a Pilgrim worked out well, as all the equipment carried over. To level him I hiked from Dhama to Muor, and someone there called me crazy for doing it lol.

I like how they did Tedanki. I arrived there at night, bought some Iron Masks and talked with everyone. The half-destroyed nature and comments from the people led me to correctly guess that they’d all be gone come morning.

Next up I’ll start my town and get the Final Key, then start collecting the orbs.
Playing: Dragon Warrior III - Leveling after Dhama Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring Chocobo Forests, GTA:SA - 77.01%

atmasabr
1 year ago#26
I have the same party as my favorite, though I start out with Hero, Soldier, Fighter, and Wizard.

Personally I think you missed out on some RobMagic fun, but you'll still get to enjoy it for the rest of the game.
Do your own research!

User Info: OmegaM

OmegaM
1 year ago#27
For what it's worth, when I played and beat the NES version of this game years ago, I used the "default" Hero/Soldier/Pilgrim/Wizard party with no class changing, and I don't recall the game being too difficult. Of course, I followed Nintendo Power and the Explorer's Handbook the whole way through.

I have the Game Boy Color version, though I've played it for only a few minutes. I might someday try beating it with Hero/Thief/Pilgrim/Wizard, again with no class changing, just because that seems like a more classical D&D-type party.

Kigalas
1 year ago#28
I’ve been getting ideas for multiple future runs while playing this. All melee, all casters, all multi-class, 6 person swap, all sages, Goof-off doom, etc. With the party flexibility, and reading about the keyless run and the possibilities exposed there, I can see why some consider this one of the greatest games ever.

It’s not overly difficult, at least not compared to the brutality of II, but difficult enough for the game to put you in your rightful place often enough to remind you who’s boss.
Playing: Dragon Warrior III - Off to Samanao; 4/6 Orbs Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring Chocobo Forests, GTA:SA - 81.82%

Kigalas
1 year ago#29
Well, I just threw the Sword of Gaia into the crater, and lava has spewed forth! I’m getting some great exp in the hills south of it, despite the frost clouds kicking my ass. I’m not ready for the cave yet (sage is 25, rest are 30) but I should be in a few levels.

Still no yellow orb from the town, but the people were ready to revolt last I went there so I think I’m getting close.
Playing: Dragon Warrior III - After Samanao; 4/6 Orbs Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring Chocobo Forests, GTA:SA - 81.82%

Kigalas
1 year ago#30
It seems there was some intention with the way they implemented the day/night cycle. First I noticed that if you Return to Eigenbear and sail south, if you turn left when it gets to full light you’ll go right to New Town. Then, after tossing the sword into the crater and leveling south of there a bit I noticed when you Return to Assaram and go back there, it turns to night just as you’re getting to the Cave of Necrogond. It’s just good design imo.
Playing: Dragon Warrior III - Castle of Baramos Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring Chocobo Forests, GTA:SA - 81.82%
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Your best advice please
  • Topic Archived