• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Your best advice please

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
1 year ago#11
Now for the fourth character, is it better for a third melee or a second caster, or is it kind of a wash?

Basically, a second soldier or a wizard?
Playing: FFVI perfect stat run. To do - ~30 Rages, kill Kefka. Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring, GTA:SA - 70%
Next up: Dragon Warrior III

User Info: skater43

skater43
1 year ago#12
Personally, I'm much more of a melee guy when it comes to RPGs, so I'd go with that for the fourth member. And rather than another soldier, I'd say go with a fighter, just to see what they bring to the table/more variety. When you get the opportunity, I'd then change the pilgrim to a sage. However, first couple of runs I did of this game, I went with more of the usual hero/melee/pilgrim/wizard party, so that's certainly a viable option. In that case, no need to class change anyone. Some parties will require more planning/patience/levels (loading up on merchants or goof-offs), but considering people have beaten the game with just the hero, any group will work and it just comes down to personal preference. I mentioned class change, but unless you only have one caster in the party, I wouldn't bother. Sage is great because it can cast pilgrim and wizard spells, but changing a soldier to a fighter or something, I'd just keep them at their original class (in this game, I almost never bother with class changing. But FF3j and FF5, I have everyone master every class, even though I only use a handful of skills. Doesn't make any sense to me either :) ).
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

Kigalas
1 year ago#13
Alright, maybe I’ll just flip a coin for melee/caster and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Playing: FFVI perfect stat run. To do - ~30 Rages, kill Kefka. Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring, GTA:SA - 70%

User Info: trancer1

trancer1
1 year ago#14
I agree with the idea of using a Fighter as the 4th. They cost practically nothing to equip in the early game and become speed demon - critical hit machines in the late game.
---
President Trump is not my messenger, he is my MESSAGE.

Kigalas
1 year ago#15
It has begun..

There was a soldier/warrior named Ragnar from the start so I got me, him, Alena and Cristo and Taloon waiting for his town. Obtained the magic ball but haven’t used it because cash is tight and I want better weapons first.

I love the DWII look of the caves and am wanting the door option in the menu. Oh well, still great fun.
Playing: FFVI perfect stat run. To do - 1 Rage, kill Kefka. Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring, GTA:SA - 73%

User Info: KongZhou

KongZhou
1 year ago#16
My tip: Having been frustrated by the caves, if you find yourself at a seeming dead end, start exploring or trying things out. One cave requires you to use a key to unlock a door you can't see, another dungeon is all dead ends except for one set of stairs way off up in some inconspicuous corner, stuff like that. Honestly I didn't have the patience to try mapping out stuff or relying trial and error so I just used the maps in the FAQs section.

Also this game struck me as far more forgiving than II. I played II a lot when I was young but only beat it once. Even with max level characters. (They were probably poorly equipped.) But with III, as long as you're not allergic to a little grinding for gold to buy stuff before plunging into dungeons, you will usually be OK.

User Info: trancer1

trancer1
1 year ago#17
KongZhou posted...
Also this game struck me as far more forgiving than II. I played II a lot when I was young but only beat it once. Even with max level characters. (They were probably poorly equipped.)

Nah, it's not just you. Max characters with max equips can still get wiped by randoms in Rhone.
---
President Trump is not my messenger, he is my MESSAGE.

Kigalas
1 year ago#18
It seems the game has a small amount of weirdness with the Return spell. I got to Romaly, used the House of Healing, slept at the inn and started gearing up and realized I never bought the Training Suit in Reeve. So I Returned back there, thinking I’d be able to Return right back to Romaly. Nope lol

So I got to go through the Cave of Enticement again, but it wasn’t a long trip. I went right to the King after that.
Playing: Dragon Warrior III - Romaly Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring Centra Crater, GTA:SA - 73%
Next up: FFII

User Info: Darkwing Duck

Darkwing Duck
1 year ago#19
You have to be alive to get the return point to whatever town you've been in. If you had bought a wing of wyvern and had whatever characters that were alive when you first got to Romaly, that character could have returned to Romaly.

Also, and perhaps easier, would be to leave Romaly and immediately reenter with the hero alive. You would have gained the location in the return list.
Let's get Dangerous.

Kigalas
1 year ago#20
That makes sense. I just assumed it’d automatically be added to the list and figured no Return would mean no wyvern wing.
Playing: Dragon Warrior III - Romaly Also: FFVIII - Disc 2: exploring Shumi Village, GTA:SA - 74.87%
Next up: FFII
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior III
  3. Your best advice please
  • Topic Archived