• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior II
  3. Mysterious Hat Locations and uses

User Info: graidcdhy

graidcdhy
3 months ago#1
So I found two mysterious hats in chests. One is in the undersea cave which you can get to after using the moon fragment. The other one is in the cave to Rhone. Both are a pain to find though. I dont get MP back when I move around but I confirmed that in combat your mp usage per spell is halved.

User Info: Jay_Shaw

Jay_Shaw
2 months ago#2
Are you playing a remake or hacked version of the game? In the original version of Dragon Warrior II on the NES, the only way you can acquire a Mysterious Hat is by receiving one as a rare drop from a Magic Vampirus or Bazuzu (and you can only acquire one, since the game will cause these enemies to drop only gold if it detects that one of your characters already possesses a Mysterious Hat). I did discover the following thread mentioning how you can hack the game to make the Mysterious Hat appear in the treasure chest locations you mentioned, so it sounds like you may be playing a hacked version of the game:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/587248-dragon-warrior-ii/76538461

For some reason, I was under the impression that the Mysterious Hat didn't have any effect on MP consumption in Dragon Warrior II, but according to Post 15 of the following game mechanics thread, it seems to reduce MP consumption by around 20% to 50% in battles (depending on the spell, with the effect generally being better for spells with a low MP cost):

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/587248-dragon-warrior-ii/67224292

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I do recall some spells seeming to have a lower MP cost than I was accustomed to around the end of my 2020 playthrough of Dragon Warrior II (where I got really lucky and received a Mysterious Hat from a Magic Vampirus while traveling through the Rhone Cave); I just looked through my notes, and it looks like I gave the Mysterious Hat to the Princess of Moonbrooke.

--Jay
(edited 2 months ago)

graidcdhy
2 months ago#3
I did get a patch that makes monsters give more experience and gold. I didnt realize it also changed the chest contents in several spots. That was probably how i found them I suppose.

User Info: Jay_Shaw

Jay_Shaw
2 months ago#4
Yeah - honestly, it doesn't sound like a terrible change for a game like this where the difficulty level is generally so high that your characters really could use an extra advantage like the reduced MP consumption from the Mysterious Hats....

--Jay

User Info: Pre_PHD_Lee

Pre_PHD_Lee
2 months ago#5
Jay_Shaw is right. The only way to get it in the original game is from enemy drops, and you can only have one at a time. It's got a very low drop rate, as well, making it probably the rarest item in the NES version of the game.

It's easier to get in the remake versions. You can get it in a chest, I think, and some of the remakes have Metal Babbles drop it, too.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.

graidcdhy
2 months ago#6
Yeah that's why I patched it. I've played the remake before and the difficulty on that one was already ridiculous especially without save states. That cave... (Rhone) And near the end so many monsters had such cheap and overpowered moves. Very frustrating
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior II
  3. Mysterious Hat Locations and uses
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A