• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior II
  3. What's the recommended order to beat the dungeons, in terms of difficulty?

User Info: Peter_19

Peter_19
5 months ago#1
Which order would you say is the best order to beat the dungeons after you have got the ship?
I have always started with the Dragonlord's Castle, since that place seems fairly easy and also gives me Erdrick's Sword, but where should I go after that?
The Lighthouse seems like the most obvious next stop, but I feel like that place is maybe a little too dangerous right at that point, so which options would be available there?
Hello.

User Info: Kigalas

Kigalas
5 months ago#2
I think getting the Sword is a good first step after the Golden Key & sunken treasure. Then searching out easy crests and other keys. Just that exploration nets you some levels. I do the lighthouse late because it’s so long, usually after getting the Moon Fragment and other crests and Eye of Malroth from the lava cave. There really aren’t many dungeons in this one, just a huge map, and the Cave to Rhone really makes up for that.
Streaming Retro games & JRPGs 4 nights a week - http://twitch.tv/kigalas

Peter_19
5 months ago#3
Kigalas posted...
I think getting the Sword is a good first step after the Golden Key & sunken treasure. Then searching out easy crests and other keys. Just that exploration nets you some levels. I do the lighthouse late because it’s so long, usually after getting the Moon Fragment and other crests and Eye of Malroth from the lava cave. There really aren’t many dungeons in this one, just a huge map, and the Cave to Rhone really makes up for that.
Yeah, I do tend to go get all the Keys and the Erdrick equipment (except for the Armor Of Erdrick, which is much more out of the way) and the Staff Of Thunder before I enter the Lighthouse, since all of that stuff is actually very easy to get as long as you know where to get it, and this definitely makes the Lighthouse more manageable.

I kinda feel like the Tower Of The Moon might be slightly easier than the Lighthouse, since I remember it being a lot smaller than the Lighthouse.
And this also takes you closer to the beautiful Falcon Sword and Shield Of Strength equipment, which are such good pieces of equipment that they are kinda worth all the tedious money-grinding there.
Hello.
(edited 5 months ago)

User Info: Zzonkmiles

Zzonkmiles
2 months ago#4
Hmmmm...I guess it's easier for me to think of what to do last and then work my way back from there.

Dragonlord's Castle (because it's short and you can get a decent sword for the Hero)
Tower with the Gremlins (what an annoyingly large and complex map, but the monsters aren't TOO bad other than the Dragon Flies)
Tower of the Moon (near Tuhn, definite increase in monster difficulty)
Sea Cave (ugh)
Cave to Rhone (no comment necessary)
PSN/YouTube/Twitch: Zzonkmiles (Don't listen to Ondore's lies!)
Download Final Fantasy Zz Hard-Type at http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1278/

User Info: Pre_PHD_Lee

Pre_PHD_Lee
2 months ago#5
I pretty much follow Zzonkmiles' path here, but I'll note that I usually do the Dragonlord's castle, which is relatively easy, very shortly after getting the ship, whereas I tend to save all of the others until after I've gained some levels while going after crests and keys.
May someday resume the quest for higher education, or else change my name here. Won't stop playing games either way.

Peter_19
1 month ago#6
Thanks, guys.
Yeah, Sea Cave is a huge pain if you try to memorise the layout of that dungeon, but it becomes sort of manageable if you draw a map of it.
Actually, even this in itself is a bit annoying, since you will have to match up all the different hallways correctly, but it will at least give you some sort of directions.

Then again, you could obviously look up that map on the Internet, but I find it more satisfying to draw my own map of that place;
it feels quite adventurous to update my own maps and rely on them while I trudge deeper and deeper into the dungeons!

Personally I always try to get the Staff Of Thunder as quickly as possible, so that Princess is actually useful as an attacker without having to rely on MP all the time, and it's also very nice to get Light Sword in Wellgarth, so that you can throw free Surround spells on all the enemies. :D
Hello.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Warrior II
  3. What's the recommended order to beat the dungeons, in terms of difficulty?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A