• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  3. This review makes me want to punch babies!

User Info: mophead420

mophead420
7 years ago#1
http://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587237-double-dragon-ii-the-revenge/reviews/review-101927

What the F? Slanderous, I say!

Oh mighty lords of Gamefaqs, I bid you to smite this wicked text from your glorious digital data banks, so future generations may exist without the threat of this most evil mind pollution.

Also, a few months ago, I heard this game was coming to Virtual Console.

What's taking so long?
"I Don't even believe in your Jebus..."

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
7 years ago#2
I like this part:

"Sure, you can do a few other moves, like delivering a jumping knee smash. Or even leaping up into the air and doing a hurricane kick. But these two moves are done completely at random."

Basically, he doesn't know how the game controls. You can reliably pull off cyclone kicks by jumping and pressing the attack button near the top of your jump (it's easy to pull off a few in a row, let alone 5+). The hyper knee/uppercut are also easy; just buttonmash when you recover from knockdown or land from a jump.

I have to agree with him about the jumping portions weakening the game though; some of them are just too finicky that they really make or break a decent run of the game, and honestly I think they hurt the pacing of the game.

mophead420
7 years ago#3
That's the part that made me shake my head the most, too... I was able to figure out the moves through simple trial and error when I was 8.

And yeah, I don't think anybody really enjoys the jumping sections, but without them, I think the game would be too easy.

BareknuckleRoo
7 years ago#4
I don't think the ideal way to fix it being too easy is to add unfun jumping mechanics. Hell, I can normally get through the jump over the river but for some reason I messed up badly and gameovered there (yes, I lost all my lives in the water).

If the jumping wasn't so imprecise and rigid, or at least more forgiving, I wouldn't hate it so much, but there's a problem when the trap area with the gears is more problematic than the final boss.

If losing a life didn't hurt so much I wouldn't mind it, but losing a life is equivalent to taking a LOT of hits. That's a crazy amount of health you lose for one little mistake.

It's also the reason I'm not fond of Double Dragon 3. I'm really good at it and can easily get to Stage 5 without a problem. But the silly jumping there combined with that one platform segment where you're stuck fighting spear throwers with no room to dodge is no fun at all (you can't even seem to kill em off from afar via shuriken due to how weak shuriken are).

BareknuckleRoo
7 years ago#5
Having been practising more, I realized you don't even need to button mash for the hyper uppercut/jumping knee; to do the uppercut just press the punch button (attack the direction you're facing) right BEFORE you hit the ground. For the knee, when you land from a jump or stand up you need to press A+B+direction late in the kneeling animation (too soon as you land and it won't activate).

mophead420
7 years ago#6
Yup... Once you get the timing of the moves down you can repeatedly do them at will.

Button mashing works, but is unreliable.
  1. Boards
  2. Double Dragon II: The Revenge
  3. This review makes me want to punch babies!
  • Topic Archived