• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  3. Difficulty of 3 versus Castlevania I

User Info: UncleDale

UncleDale
3 months ago#21
CashPrizes posted...
I beat 3 as a little kid, all endings with each companion.
I never beat the first game growing up, but I also never owned it. I beat it as an adult, I think the last 2 levels and the Dracula fight at the end of the first game are much harder then the hardest stuff in III. III might have more memorization because there is so much more game, but everything is much easier.
CashPrizes, I hear you. In my opinion CV1 final boss is far more tedious, but easier CVIII final boss is harder, but a faster fight. The moving platforms at the end does tricks on my mind.
Uncle Dale

User Info: Johnny_Ace

Johnny_Ace
3 months ago#22
You can throw a lot of axes on Drac's 2nd and 3rd forms. And you can go up and down stairs and collect as many hearts as you want before the last fight.
"Questions without answers are not questions; but statements".

User Info: Zzonkmiles

Zzonkmiles
3 months ago#23
UncleDale posted...

Sunken City with the bone dragon and flooding at the end, on hard mode, is by far the hardest of any course in any Castlevania game. Especially with no partner because you can't skip anything. Water up to your neck if you manage to survive it.

Not gonna lie. That section is horrible on hard mode if you don't have Alucard or Grant. The combination of rising water, bat spam, Fishman spam, crumbling blocks, and that high-pressure music makes for a really, really hard area. Up to the Bone Dragon is not so bad, but that final section with the rising water...ugh. Especially the downstairs portion.
PSN/YouTube/Twitch: Zzonkmiles (Don't listen to Ondore's lies!)
Download Final Fantasy Zz Hard-Type at http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1278/

UncleDale
3 months ago#24
Zzonkmiles posted...
Not gonna lie. That section is horrible on hard mode if you don't have Alucard or Grant. The combination of rising water, bat spam, Fishman spam, crumbling blocks, and that high-pressure music makes for a really, really hard area. Up to the Bone Dragon is not so bad, but that final section with the rising water...ugh. Especially the downstairs portion.
I kept playing over and over on hard mode, Trevor only, no save points, finally got a good recording of it. Got hit twice from the first encounter with the boss, went into the flooded area with half health. Never got hit again, finished off the boss at the end, and jumped on the orb under water, did not die. I think if the water was one pixel higher, I would have died. Now I have to figure out how to get it from my Switch to YouTube.
Uncle Dale
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: GodOfFruit

GodOfFruit
2 months ago#25
If we're just talking about the normal mode, stage 5 in CV1 gave me more trouble than anything in CV3 (thanks to the extremely harsh penalty of dying deep into the level and losing holy water), so I'd say that game has the higher peak in difficulty. I do think CV3 is better at easing you into higher levels of difficulty, with a much more gradual curve rather than a couple huge problem areas. The difficulty also depends a lot on which spirit helper you choose. Personally, I think taking the top path using Grant is far easier than beating CV1, but taking the bottom path with Alucard is more in line with CV1 difficulty.

Now if you're talking about the hard mode, then sure, CV3 is way harder. Those skulls are super annoying.

User Info: Herculanium

Herculanium
1 month ago#26
This one is definitely tougher than the first

I played it over the weekend and took Sypha’s route. Stage 9 is a colossal pain in the ass. The last stage and all 3 forms of Dracula is easier IMHO

Folks say Alucard’s route is tougher. Sure its longer but at least with him you can turn into a bat and fly through the pain in the ass parts

User Info: 2001mark

2001mark
1 month ago#27
CV3 feels more densely populated with baddies & pitfalls alike, + more strategically placed for greater challenge than CV1.
Then again, CV1 you've only got Simon to play as, so that can feel tougher I guess sometimes.

CV1 is definitely the easier single session playthrough for me. I've never not walked away with password/save from CV3 for a break.

UncleDale
1 month ago#28
@2001mark It seems that CV1 was intended as a more linear arcade style. CV3 is nearly the same style, only it has branching paths, but CV3 still feels like a completely different game style, almost like open world adventure, even though it is not. The differences in the 2 games are small, but huge at the same time. Also CV3 has a great 4x replay value with going it alone and with the 3 spirit guides, and the 2nd quest was far tougher than the first game.
Uncle Dale
  1. Boards
  2. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  3. Difficulty of 3 versus Castlevania I
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A