• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  3. So about the other characters

User Info: mooreandrew58

mooreandrew58
2 years ago#1
I don't really see why alucard gets the hate he does. Like a fool my first time playing I went down his path, and honestly I felt handicapped anytime I chose to play Trevor over him with the exception of a select few parts.

I really don't think I would have beat Dracula's first and third form without him.

As for the others I haven't played too much but I can't really grasp where grants perks make him a better option than Trevor minus a few parts where scaling the ceiling or walls would allow you to skip parts. Combat wise he just doesn't seem that good to me.

Sypha feels about as useful so far as Trevor as long as you have hearts and I can see how she wrecks bosses. I haven't gotten to use her thunder spell yet though. I know that is supposed to be a boss killer I mostly want to see if it makes traversing stages easier than Trevor could do it.

And to finish off one minor complaint about the VC manual. It says alucard uses a gun when he clearly doesn't. And says grant throws daggers which to my understanding he only did in the Japanese version. Being the VC manual and for the English version they could have fixed that. Made me think I was somehow doing something wrong
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

mooreandrew58
2 years ago#2
Though the bit about the gun did make me look into how old guns really are. So I at least learned something. Looking at it in a simplistic manner guns originated in the 10th century by the Chinese. Bamboo or metal tubes used to project flames and shrapnel.

More what resembles guns we would recognize came around 14th century. Which would actually make is possible for alucard to have wielded a gun in this game. It's just clear on his boss fight and his animation period it's magic much like his father uses
Cid- "looks like that overgrown lobster just got served!" Bartz-"with cheese biscuts AND mashed potatoes!"

User Info: skater43

skater43
2 years ago#3
Yes, in the Japanese version, Grant does have permanent free throwing daggers (one of the reasons that version is easier. Along with enemies doing less damage, fewer enemies, a checkpoint closer to Dracula, couple of other things). Personally, when I beat the game (https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/587067-adventure-island/73480817?page=30 post 301 is beating the Japanese version, 307 the US version) I took Grant to take advantage of some shortcuts and going across the ship and such is the easiest route. However, speedrunners will tell you he's the worst because climbing the clock tower takes so long (see the times at https://www.speedrun.com/cv3dc#NES). RPGs, I'm just not a magic user, so Sypha might be really good and his/her spells really great, but I wouldn't properly utilize them. As I recall, Alucard's attack (yeah, I don't understand why the manual would say he uses a gun either) isn't that strong, but splitting into three does make it useful for hitting multiple enemies/projectiles. Most of the time, though, I was just using Trevor. Worked good enough in most situations.

But congrats on beating this mooreandrew! :) Not an easy game, especially because to get Alucard you had to take the long way to Drac's castle. What's next on your Castlevania conquest list? Super Castlevania 4 (made it about 2/3 the way through that but have never finished it)? One of the N64 games (own both but haven't played much of either)? One of the handheld Metroidvanias (beaten the 3 GBA ones and am currently playing off and on Order of Ecclesia having beaten the other two DS games)?
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

mooreandrew58
2 years ago#4
I want to try sotn next if I can find a 360 copy. As that's my only legal means of getting one. I'd go for the super ones next but I'd have to upgrade to a new 3ds and I don't have the money for that right now.

The main advantage of alucard I found was having more distance to your attack and with it fully upgraded at close range it was decently powerful and you didn't really need to aim

Sypha once you get lightning is pretty good boss or not because the orbs kind of hone in on enemies. Great for hitting enemies in tough to hit spots without getting hit yourself

User Info: HylianFox

HylianFox
2 years ago#5
another reason why the JPN version is easier, IIRC Alucard's bat form doesn't burn through Hearts as quickly
I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals FUH-LAMING! - Homer Simpson
Don't be a turd. - Chris Pratt

mooreandrew58
2 years ago#6
HylianFox posted...
another reason why the JPN version is easier, IIRC Alucard's bat form doesn't burn through Hearts as quickly

That didn't bother me much it's literally all I used hearts for on his path. And I didn't abuse them. Mostly for skipping around enemies I found troublesome to beat without getting hit. If I could platform a section easily enough without it I did.

Think the only boss I didn't use alucard on was the clone. And even with Trevor it felt like it boiled down to luck. I could get plenty enough hits in just by alternating high platforms but once in awhile the clone would manage to get you there with me and Corner me. So luck was being able to do that tactic with him failing to get up there with me enough times to kill me.

If they ever remake this game I think just for fun after you beat it you get to do a playthrough and take all the others along. Maybe just be limited to choosing one per level
  1. Boards
  2. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
  3. So about the other characters
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A