• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bomberman II
  3. Opinions on the Bomberman Games?

User Info: Hawkas4444

Hawkas4444
10 years ago#1
Hey, I Just played and completed this game for the first time and its only the second ever bomberman game ive played (the other being the original bomberman on the NES)

ANyway i found it so addictive and the bomberman series seem to be really great games,

I was just wondering how bomberman I and bomberman II compare to each other and the rest of the series

I believe this game is a little better due to the themed areas but the first one had the inital impact, so what are peoples opinions??
-- Recent Games Completed: Bomberman II, Super Mario Land 2, Chrono Trigger
-- Perfect Dark, LoZ: OoT, DK 64, S M World + S M Galaxy = Fav Games of all Time --

User Info: LinkTheLefty

LinkTheLefty
10 years ago#2
Well, Bomberman II is really a sequel to the Turbografx-16 game rather than the NES game, which is more of a remake of the old MSX game. Still, I kinda prefer the original game because while II might be more varied, it also lacks bosses, which are definitely cool to have in later games. The original NES game also has a certain charm to it.

The series was at its best during the SNES era. Super Bomberman came in five parts; only three in Europe and two in North America, but the latter two are sometimes considered the best of the entire series. All of these games had two player co-op in story mode (save the second game for some reason), which really helps make it fun to play with a friend. I think it also has the best multiplayer options you'll find in Bomberman, so Super Bomberman 1-5 are pretty much as good as the series got. I haven't played Bomberman '93 or '94 on Turbografx-16 / Virtual Console, but I'm told they're pretty much in the same vein, and SB3 is pretty much almost a remake of '94 from what I could tell. Saturn Bomberman came shortly later and I haven't played it either, but I think it has support for up to ten players (!), but no two player co-op in story mode. There were Game Boy titles around this time, one of them being Bomberman Quest which kind of includes RPG elements.

Then there was the N64 trilogy. Now, I think a lot of oldschool fans were put off by them, but personally I found them to be a lot of fun. Bomberman 64 is pretty much the first serious attempt at translating Bomberman into 3D (plus it had a fun commercial back in the day), and as such the game takes on a different sort of puzzle format. Rather than the tried and true grid system, Bomberman was free to roam around for the first time while trying to stay true to some limitations such as "no jumping" and creative ways to use bombs. Only problem was that I don't think the 3D approach worked too well in battle mode.

The latter two are Bomberman Hero and Bomberman 64: The Second Attack. Hero is pretty much the series' attempt at making a 3D platformer, and a lot of people were turned off by the lack of multiplayer. However, I found it to be a good change of pace, a little something different since it's more action-orientated than usual. Bomberman can run, jump and throw bombs at will now, which is kinda odd at first. There are also "transformations" than change the gameplay in some levels. Lastly, there was The Second Attack. In my opinion, this is the last really good Bomberman game. It's got decent multiplayer modes, plays as a cross between 64 and Super, and there's also a co-op mode with a character that changes on certain conditions. Plus, it's got the best plot out of any Bomberman game (I know, story and Bomberman usually don't go hand in hand, but the N64 game at least tried the hardest). The only problem is that the 2D (+) style bombs don't really work in 3D either, but that's remedied by a new bomb system, in which you collect a new type of bomb after every major enemy boss.
I guess Sephiroth's motivation for fighting is to find his backpack. ~ Kovvo

User Info: LinkTheLefty

LinkTheLefty
10 years ago#3
After the excellent SNES and N64 games, I kinda lost interest in the series. Bomberman Max pretty much catered to the then-kinda-new Pokemon demographic by somehow including morphing creatures called Charaboms in the gameplay, plus you had to link up two different versions of the game to unlock the whole thing. Sadly, most of the newer games incorporate Charaboms (Bomberman World for PlayStation didn't, but it was far too short and there was no level select if you needed to restock on powerups after losing to a boss, which made it tedious). There was a fourth N64 game only in Japan, but it focused on multiplayer while ignoring the single player campaign. It seems since then that each game focused either on Charaboms, solely multiplayer...or minigames, as I understand the newer Land series to be.

There were few titles that caught my interest since the introduction of the Charaboms. I got Bomberman Tournament on GBA since it's supposed to be a spiritual successor to Quest, but it used a lot of the unfavorable elements from Max and beyond. I genuinely got stuck in this game, and I don't really know what to do, so it didn't hold my interest for long. There was a sequel for DS in Japan and Europe, and I don't know if that was closer to Quest or not. I almost picked up Bomberman Online and Bomberman Generations, but unfortunately I feel the series has run for too long for me to keep caring. I think it went downhill after the N64 days. I'm sure there's still fun in there somewhere, but it's just hard to keep it fresh. There was also Bomberman: Act Zero, which...well, the less said about that one, the better.

The series also has several spinoffs, like Puzzle Bomber and B-Daman. I don't know much about B-Daman, but it's mostly Japanese-only and it spawned some anime adaptations. It really doesn't have much to do with Bomberman, it's usually just Bomberman-like being that shot marbles out of their stomachs (or something). There was also Bomberman Jetters, which is closer to the games but once again takes place in another universe (though it had some games modeled after it). It's kinda decent, actually, and it seems to be loosely based on Saturn Bomberman and Super Bomberman 3.

I wrote more than I thought I would, but those're my general opinions on the series. Here's a good place if you want to learn more: http://www.randomhoohaas.flyingomelette.com/Bomberman/main.htm
I guess Sephiroth's motivation for fighting is to find his backpack. ~ Kovvo

User Info: paralyzed21

paralyzed21
10 years ago#4
excellent 64 games? the 64 games were horrific. the snes ones are awesome and probably the best and most popular of the series. party edition on psx was amazing. act zero is a disgrace. but ultra on the ps3 is pretty fun for the online play, but its kinda laggy at times.
http://www.myspace.com/thepanicdivision
---

Hawkas4444
10 years ago#5
MetalSonic89 thanks so much, you're a champ!

Getting that kind of insight and help from a gamer who knows the series pretty well is really helpful and i really appreciate it!

At the moment whenever i have spare time I'm playing all the old school games of the "best" or most popular gaming series like: Mario, Sonic, LoZ, Metroid, Mega Man, Bomberman, Castlevania, Kirby, Contra etc etc and im having a blast

It is just great to have some kind of knowledge or background to some of the series im playing

Next bomberman game ill be playing will be bomberman 93 on VC (I'm trying to play in order of oldest released game in a series to newest)

Problem is, with so many series to play, i probably wont be able to attempt bomberman 93 for a fair while

Once again i really appreciate it

Also, just out of interest, what are some of your favorite videogame series of all time??

And what are some of your favorite games of all time?
-- Perfect Dark, LoZ: OoT, DK 64, S M World + S M Galaxy = Fav Games of all Time --

paralyzed21
10 years ago#6
u nailed some of my fav series of all time lol. castlevania, bomberman, megaman. all classics and all amazing series.
---

Hawkas4444
10 years ago#7
Yeah, they really are classic series!

Ive only played castlevania 1 and mega man 1 & 2 and now bomebrman 1 & 2 out of those 3 series, but soon ill be playing castlevania 2: simons quest which i heard is quite different to the first game, what are your opinions on it?

Its funny how alot of the "big" series changed the style of gameplay for their second games in the NES era, Super Mario Bros. 2, Zelda: Adventure of Link & Castlevania: Simon's Quest were all very different

paralyzed21
10 years ago#8
lol ya. well mario bros 2 didnt really change, it just changed wen it game to america. in japan it was an actual mario bros game. but for some reason wen it came to america, they took another game (doki doki panic i think?) and just changed all the sprites to mario. idk y they did that but o well.

but ya, as for simons quest, it is regarded as the worst castlevania ever by most ppl. i however really enjoyed it. its kinda difficult at times in the sense that you have no idea where to go, so a guide or a faq may come in handy on a first run thru. but i really thought it was great. it lead the way for sotn and all the other newer castlevania games that hold rpg elements. it was the first in the series with rpg elements, it just wasnt ever accepted very well cuz it was so much different then the first one, thus leading to the 3rd one being more like the original and straying away from the rpg stuff. let me know what your opinion is on it if you ever try it
---

Hawkas4444
10 years ago#9
Yeh definitely i will, ive got a few games planned to play before it so ill get back to u when i do, but yeh i heard alot of the same things u mentioned, hopefully ill enjoy it too, im sure i will
  1. Boards
  2. Bomberman II
  3. Opinions on the Bomberman Games?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A