• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. 8 Eyes
  3. fun game, got some real balance problems though

User Info: Bananadine

Bananadine
6 years ago#1
I played through this (yes, ALL the way through) recently, some twenty years after having played it last. My sister and I used to go through it co-op... it was quite fun.

It wasn't as impressive this time around. The music sounded more repetitive (though I still liked it mostly), and the enemies felt MUCH more repetitive. The special weapons are horribly balanced (boomerang good, white ball good but only for bosses, everything else crap unless your Cutrus is dead and you reeeally need to hit a far-off switch) and the bosses are... also horribly balanced. I do like their very distinctive sprites and stage themes though. But it's funny how some are almost completely helpless (Spain for instance), while some are merely feeble (Africa, that teleporting guy) and some are highly dangerous (Italy, Egypt). I enjoyed that the toughest boss in the game is a giant elderly man who can leap like a grasshopper.

Also when they increase everything's horizontal speed to alter the difficulty... they do not succeed very well. Certain normal enemies become MUCH stronger at very high speed (skeletal swordsmen especially, those things chased me down and cut me up!) while some actually become slightly easier to kill (almost anything that dies in one hit, really). And I think I noticed that they also increased the spawn counts for respawning enemies... which is also actually kind of helpful for the player sometimes, because it lets you farm those enemies for crosses more easily.

Still, it's a solid enough game, and the fun themes and wacky bird gimmick make it worth trying at least.

User Info: Mjollnirfalls

Mjollnirfalls
6 years ago#2
Yeah, definitely a somewhat unbalanced game, it never quite hits the high points that Castlevania does, but I do think the music is incredible and it has a great sense of atmosphere. I just beat it for the first time myself a few months ago, and I do have to say it at least has a legitimate but not impossible sense of difficulty, and the levels are designed reasonably enough that they reward familiarity pretty well. The bosses are definitely occasionally crazy, but it is the NES, ha ha.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frKK37MVUcI
My latest piano cover, the Phantom Train theme from Final Fantasy VI.
  1. Boards
  2. 8 Eyes
  3. fun game, got some real balance problems though
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A