• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Defenders of Oasis
  3. ............l.....

User Info: DragonFistAbysi

DragonFistAbysi
11 years ago#41
I suppose...regardless, that is something to think about later, after I've beaten the games I'm playing currently (I'm making decent progress in Ocarina of Time, though I can't help but notice that I really need to get more heart containers. The amount I have right now is about 1 above the minimum).
They aren't that difficult to find, you just have to interrupt your journey and look around for them. They are basically everywhere.

I've thought about the whole post office box thing. Then again, I decided it wasn't worth it. For all I know, that costs money. I don't have money to throw around. Even if it doesn't cost money...well, I'm sure there's some other reason not to get one. Regardless, I'm not willing to bother at the moment.
Yeah, it costs around $15 dollars a month. I suppose the only good reason to have a mail box is if you have a business to run or if you buy on eBay more than typical.

No, I don't. Then again, I haven't touched those books in a good seven years, and even then I didn't finish them. I did see the movies (as they were released in theaters), though...on that note, I don't look for message in fiction for one simple reason: unless the author says something about the message, I just don't think it's there.
Well, thing is, all stories have a message. Personally, I writer for people to enjoy, and if someone were to ask me if I knew the message of my own story, I would probably give them a funny look same as any writer. That said, I thinks its there because people learn from events and stories give you a source for that. Well, in the Lord of the Ring, you know, of course, about the one ring. It's mostly a huge mythology, which speculates on the ability for people resist temptation. The Ring, which could make a person invisible, would be a temptation most people would abuse, therefore a source of many types of evils. BTW, Tolkien wrote a book discussing the Lord of the Rings, which might give a discussion of it's meanings, metaphors and whatnot as a work of literature, in his own words. I haven't read it myself, so I could be entirely wrong.
Lost Abysi author
http://www.lostabysi.net

User Info: Raiha_1324

Raiha_1324
11 years ago#42
They aren't that difficult to find, you just have to interrupt your journey and look around for them. They are basically everywhere.

Finding them is easy. Actually getting them is apparently not quite as easy.

Yeah, it costs around $15 dollars a month. I suppose the only good reason to have a mail box is if you have a business to run or if you buy on eBay more than typical.

Something like that, yeah.

Well, thing is, all stories have a message. Personally, I writer for people to enjoy, and if someone were to ask me if I knew the message of my own story, I would probably give them a funny look same as any writer. That said, I thinks its there because people learn from events and stories give you a source for that. Well, in the Lord of the Ring, you know, of course, about the one ring. It's mostly a huge mythology, which speculates on the ability for people resist temptation. The Ring, which could make a person invisible, would be a temptation most people would abuse, therefore a source of many types of evils. BTW, Tolkien wrote a book discussing the Lord of the Rings, which might give a discussion of it's meanings, metaphors and whatnot as a work of literature, in his own words. I haven't read it myself, so I could be entirely wrong.

That's what causes me so much trouble. The thing is, the way I see it, the only things that are in stories are what the author intended to be there. For instance, if I were to write something, unless I planned on having a message in there, if asked I would say: My work has no message. You can look for one, maybe even find one, but that is only because you're looking for it. Whatever message you found is something you found based on interpretation, not based on intent. I repeat: you may find a message in there, but that message was not intended to be there. There is no message in my work.
"I have bested fruit, spike and moon! And now I shall best you, The Guy!" ~The Kid, I Wanna Be The Guy

DragonFistAbysi
11 years ago#43
Finding them is easy. Actually getting them is apparently not quite as easy.
Depends. You need certain items for certain pieces, right?

That's what causes me so much trouble. The thing is, the way I see it, the only things that are in stories are what the author intended to be there. For instance, if I were to write something, unless I planned on having a message in there, if asked I would say: My work has no message. You can look for one, maybe even find one, but that is only because you're looking for it. Whatever message you found is something you found based on interpretation, not based on intent. I repeat: you may find a message in there, but that message was not intended to be there. There is no message in my work.
You're right, but at the same time, there is what the writer put in, and then there is what the reader/watcher takes from the story on their own.
[My work has no message.] Someone smarter than you can always come up with something and point it out to you. You'll argue, but if they are convinced that the fly is a bee, then can you convince them otherwise?
based on interpretation, key phrase People will always try to interpret something if it intrigues them.
that message was not intended to be there. True perhaps, but the writer isn't avoiding it. In a hundred years, you won't be able to say, "Oh, I wrote this just for fun. No meaning." People will look back, especially if it's a well loved work, and try to dupe out what you were thinking when you created it. Personally, if asked, I'd say, "I'll leave it to your imagination." Or something like that.
Lost Abysi author

Raiha_1324
11 years ago#44
Depends. You need certain items for certain pieces, right?

Yes. From my experience, this is usually a Bean Platform. The one thing I never have, for the simple reason that it would require added effort (time travel, bug in the hole, plant bean platform, time travel again, get back over there again to collect it). Too many heart pieces seem to require this.

You're right, but at the same time, there is what the writer put in, and then there is what the reader/watcher takes from the story on their own.
[My work has no message.] Someone smarter than you can always come up with something and point it out to you. You'll argue, but if they are convinced that the fly is a bee, then can you convince them otherwise?

No, but then, if they don't take my word for it as the person who wrote the ****ing story, they aren't as intelligent as they may seem. If I say "there was no message intentionally placed into this story, anything you find is purely coincidental" and they think otherwise, that's foolishness, not intelligence.

based on interpretation, key phrase People will always try to interpret something if it intrigues them.
that message was not intended to be there. True perhaps, but the writer isn't avoiding it. In a hundred years, you won't be able to say, "Oh, I wrote this just for fun. No meaning." People will look back, especially if it's a well loved work, and try to dupe out what you were thinking when you created it. Personally, if asked, I'd say, "I'll leave it to your imagination." Or something like that.

This is true; I won't try to deny this.
"I have bested fruit, spike and moon! And now I shall best you, The Guy!" ~The Kid, I Wanna Be The Guy

DragonFistAbysi
11 years ago#45
Yes. From my experience, this is usually a Bean Platform. The one thing I never have, for the simple reason that it would require added effort (time travel, bug in the hole, plant bean platform, time travel again, get back over there again to collect it). Too many heart pieces seem to require this.
I remember those. It irked me a lot, so I just bought the whole run and planted them all before going to the future. You can always check the Heart Piece FAQ if you can't find any and simply pick and choose the ones you are willing to go out of your way for. Anyway, Ocarina of Time should be easy enough to cover without extra heart pieces. Then again, I usually stock pile them myself.

No, but then, if they don't take my word for it as the person who wrote the ****ing story, they aren't as intelligent as they may seem. If I say "there was no message intentionally placed into this story, anything you find is purely coincidental" and they think otherwise, that's foolishness, not intelligence.
Yea, I chose the wrong word. It just means that they are just clever and stupid. If even that.
Personally, I think if someone asked, I would say, I didn't include a message, but I learned a lot by writing the story, and let them chew on that for a while. It's funny, I wrote a crappy novel (seriously, I think it's a piece of.. ) and learned tons from it. The book may be bad, but I intend to rewrite it, and the rewrite will not be half as bad.

Granstream Saga seems to be a lot better than I originally thought. It starts out rather boring, but It isn't nearly as bad as I expected.
Lost Abysi author

Raiha_1324
11 years ago#46
I remember those. It irked me a lot, so I just bought the whole run and planted them all before going to the future. You can always check the Heart Piece FAQ if you can't find any and simply pick and choose the ones you are willing to go out of your way for. Anyway, Ocarina of Time should be easy enough to cover without extra heart pieces. Then again, I usually stock pile them myself.

I've died about twice in the entire game, and that was only because the first time I had no fairies and was lost, and the second time I had no real idea how to proceed, so I just kind of let myself get my ass kicked. The game is easy enough, but even so, those heart pieces annoy me.

Yea, I chose the wrong word. It just means that they are just clever and stupid. If even that.
Personally, I think if someone asked, I would say, I didn't include a message, but I learned a lot by writing the story, and let them chew on that for a while. It's funny, I wrote a crappy novel (seriously, I think it's a piece of.. ) and learned tons from it. The book may be bad, but I intend to rewrite it, and the rewrite will not be half as bad.

Oh, definitely. I've written tons of crap, but from it I always learned something. I'd generally picked up a few grammatical rules, but I'm not going to lie, I've learned quite a bit about plotting and characterization just from it. I've had to abandon quite a bit - due mostly to nonexistent planning - but I've come out as a better writer because of it.

Granstream Saga seems to be a lot better than I originally thought. It starts out rather boring, but It isn't nearly as bad as I expected.

Hm?

DragonFistAbysi
11 years ago#47
I've died about twice in the entire game, and that was only because the first time I had no fairies and was lost, and the second time I had no real idea how to proceed, so I just kind of let myself get my ass kicked. The game is easy enough, but even so, those heart pieces annoy me.
No kidding, but I follow the wall rule for a maze when I have no idea where to go. Basically, follow a wall and you should find your way easy enough.

Oh, definitely. I've written tons of crap, but from it I always learned something. I'd generally picked up a few grammatical rules, but I'm not going to lie, I've learned quite a bit about plotting and characterization just from it. I've had to abandon quite a bit - due mostly to nonexistent planning - but I've come out as a better writer because of it.
I almost never make plans when I write. I mostly know where I'm going, and that is all I really need. Whenever I have tried planning, I've screwed it up. So I don't bother.

Hm?
Hm.
Lost Abysi author

Raiha_1324
11 years ago#48
No kidding, but I follow the wall rule for a maze when I have no idea where to go. Basically, follow a wall and you should find your way easy enough.

I was fighting a boss at the time. For whatever reason, I didn't even think about using the bow to defeat the shadow temple boss, it kicked my ass a couple times, then I figured it out and tore it to shreds (with faeries for backup; faeries I didn't use).

I almost never make plans when I write. I mostly know where I'm going, and that is all I really need. Whenever I have tried planning, I've screwed it up. So I don't bother.

I don't plan much, either, but I've come to understand that some planning is necessary, at least to keep yourself on track.

Hm.

This tells me nothing.

DragonFistAbysi
11 years ago#49
I was fighting a boss at the time. For whatever reason, I didn't even think about using the bow to defeat the shadow temple boss, it kicked my ass a couple times, then I figured it out and tore it to shreds (with faeries for backup; faeries I didn't use).
Yeah, the only two I ever really had major trouble with are Ganon's shadow and Ganon himself. As for the shadow Temple boss, the first time it was difficult, but I barely won that fight.

I don't plan much, either, but I've come to understand that some planning is necessary, at least to keep yourself on track.
Perhaps.

This tells me nothing.
Ask specific questions. I can't tell anything if I don't know what you want to hear.
Lost Abysi author

Raiha_1324
11 years ago#50
Yeah, the only two I ever really had major trouble with are Ganon's shadow and Ganon himself. As for the shadow Temple boss, the first time it was difficult, but I barely won that fight.

In my first runthroughs, I don't recall ever really having trouble with any bosses. I was caught mostly by surprise with the Shadow Temple boss. Once I knew what to do, I tore it to shreds. On that note, that temple pissed me off. The item for the temple was the hover boots, and yet all of its puzzles were Eye of Truth puzzles. For ****'s sake. The fact that the Eye of Truth was necessary for the boss (but the hover boots weren't) only furthered this annoyance.

Also, Twinrova annoyed me. Not because it was a difficult boss, but instead because it took too long. The second witch was never in range.

Perhaps.
Not much, but some planning. Just to keep from writing yourself into a corner.

Ask specific questions. I can't tell anything if I don't know what you want to hear.

What kind of game is it? How's the story?
  1. Boards
  2. Defenders of Oasis
  3. ............l.....
  • Topic Archived