• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  3. Remaking Phantasy Star 3 in RPG MAKER

User Info: aquarianalex

aquarianalex
13 years ago#1
PSIII has been a long favorite of mine when I was a young kid. Even with all its flaws and being overshadowed by PSII, I still enjoyed the appeal of the whole generation concept. And how visually pleasing it would be to open the menu and see all those great character potraits! PSIII was also the first game I have actually played more than six times through, just to get all the generations.

I have had some practice and tinkering around with RPG Maker 2000, RMK3, and RPG XP with some practice games. I remember there was this guy who had remade Rhys' quest in RPG Maker then posted it on internet, and then it seems like he abandoned it, never going further. I have been thinking of trying my hand at this. I actually have been itching to try it for a long time.

I know it would take LOTS of patience, time, and frustration. However, with help and assistance from fellow gamers, I think I would be able to at least try.

The first question would be: Which would RPG 2000 or RPG XP be better? RM2k3 has a side-view battle system, which PSIII's battle system was front-view, which right off my head is why I don't think RM2k3 is a good engine for PSIII.

2) What kind of plot holes/glitches should be addressed and fixed or be left alone?

http://ps3.huguesjohnson.com/bugsglitches.html has a comprehensive list of them. The King/escapipe and the other escapipe glitches are quite amusing, but should they be left in also?

I am not 100% on every detail in the plot of PSIII and would need to be advised of any plot holes.

3) What exactly should be added in a remake of PSIII? sidequests? mini-games? more character development? I want to hear your opinions!

4) Finally, I would need some help obtaining chara-sets, tile-sets, monster-sets, etc for the remake so that it can look as closely as the original game. I have seen some ripped off from PSII and PSIV but hardly any for PSIII at all on the Internet. Maybe some of you guys could help me out here with this. (I already have the face sets for the characters myself)

Thanks for reading!

User Info: Ragn_At_Work

Ragn_At_Work
13 years ago#2
Ready for a laundry list? This is a pile of things I would like to see in any remake of PSIII, official or not:

1. Finish the cave system and eliminate the Laya Pendant:
1a. Ryan comes with a gemstone to open the Divisia/Aridia cave instead of the Twins Ruby.
1b. Mystoke holds the "Snow" gemstone that is coded in the original but not found, it unlocks the Frigidia/Divisia cave to access Aerone.
1c. Kara comes with a gemstone that opens up the Dragonia/Aquatica cave, providing access to Sage Isle (by taking away the Airstrip and Dock by Agoe this becomes the ONLY route)
1d. Sage Isle contains chests with three gemstones, one each to unlock the Dragonia/Terminus, Aridia/Terminus, and Frigidia/Terminus caves.

2. Fix the shops:
2a. Put items that make sense in all the shops of Cille and the item shop in Shushoran.
2b. Sell Star Mist and Moon Dew in New Mota

3. Make the land bridge to Cille work throughout generations 2 and 3, if for no better reason than to see the ruins.

4. Aron's Laya keeps her XP from her time with Nial

5. Fix the Ceramic Shot. Row attack is too overpowered.

6. Make techs useful buy increasing their effectiveness (be sure to make Ner, Shu and Fanbi non-stackable).

7. Make gemstones have stat bonuses so equipping them has a purpose and adds an element of strategy (think accessories in modern RPGs)

8. Increase the difficulty to accommodate for points 2, 6 and 7.

9. Make the Force Shield, Emel, and Claw only cast techniques in battle, not out. They're just too broken now.

10. Eliminate all escapepipe glitches.

11. Give Gwyn technique growth.

12. Allow access to Satera in Rhys' generation. Use this opportunity to put in the backstory of Lena being Rhys' original fiancee. Lock the cave to Divisia until after Satera is destroyed.

13. Give Laya a more logical name.

14. Make Laya's Bow and Lune's Slicer actually worthy of being called legendary weapons. Make finding them a quest instead of handing them out with Laya and Kara. Maybe hide them in caves to Terminus?

15. Actually give players a clue as to where to find Siren's Shot!!! I'd move it into a Terminus cave too, forcing players to use all three.

16. Eliminate the Pron glitch.

17. Eliminate the glitch that removes monsters from some parts of dungeons (Lensol after rescuing Thea, etc.)

18. Allow targeting of back-row enemies. If there are still front-row enemies when that person acts, they get hit instead.

19. Deepen the story:
19a. See point 12.
19b. Explain how the weather got screwed up
19c. Explain why Ryan is fighting Lune (look up the "Lune marries Thea if Ayn doesn't rescue her" theory)
19d. Explain why you can't just leave Orakio's sword alone and keep Dark Force trapped.

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more.
Read the ToU! Read the stickies! Read the FAQs! Read the Help Files! Read the manual! Read a book on grammar and spelling!
You forgot to read something!

User Info: Jonatan L

Jonatan L
13 years ago#3
You'd need a CBS since RM only supports four-member parties. As such, 2k3 offers more useful scripting abilities than 2k, but XP is probably the best choice.

If you're serious about a project like that, the first thing you need to do is read up on PS3's plot. The PSPages has a script. I'd certainly welcome an expanded PS3, but you don't seem to have any idea what direction you want to take it in. I would strongly recommend having a mostly-finished script before you start coding it. I also suggest keeping it as close to the original as possible while still expanding and developing the characters and story. PS3 needs more inter-party dialogues, including things like giving Rhys a reason to even consider marrying Lena, but I wouldn't want to see the plot changed.

Also, before you start asking others to help out, you better be damn certain that you're going to come through with it. The vast majority of RM games never even reach beta stage, and anyone who's been involved with that community knows this, so it's not going to be easy to recruit help unless you have something to show off.

"Starting a war is not a rational thing to do. Cool off in the dungeon for a while!"

User Info: Ragn_At_Work

Ragn_At_Work
13 years ago#4
^ Agreed. No offense, but I don't expect you to finish. My wish list is more of a generic rant than something I expect you to come through on.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see this done, but like Jon says only 0.0001% of projects like this ever get anywhere.
Read the ToU! Read the stickies! Read the FAQs! Read the Help Files! Read the manual! Read a book on grammar and spelling!
You forgot to read something!

User Info: huguesjohnson

huguesjohnson
12 years ago#5
Someone did remake the first generation in RPG Maker:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/95/ - the developer who made it had a couple other games under his belt before this one. I've seen 2-3 other projects like this fail due to underestimating the time commitment involved.

One reason I went the ROM editor route instead of remake route was because of the huge difference in time commitment. About 1/2 of the 19 things Ragn lists can be edited in Aridia today.. with some luck it will be able to do more.

4) Finally, I would need some help obtaining chara-sets, tile-sets, monster-sets, etc for the remake so that it can look as closely as the original game. I have seen some ripped off from PSII and PSIV but hardly any for PSIII at all on the Internet. Maybe some of you guys could help me out here with this. (I already have the face sets for the characters myself)
http://www.psalgo.com/phantasy-star-iii/images/animations.html has the character animations. Even I wasn't mad enough to try getting all the enemy ones :)
http://www.huguesjohnson.com/

aquarianalex
12 years ago#6
Thanks for your points. Like I mentioned in my original post, it was something I wanted to do for a long time ever since learning how to use RPG Maker but never got around to it because like you pointed out, it requires a huge commitment and lots of sacrifice of time, especially constructing PSIII where there are multiple quests. That is exactly why I posted here... to ferret out opinions, suggestions, disagreements, et c, before evaluating to whether it s actually worth tackling such a huge undertaking or not.

After doing some research on the Internet, I realized it is going to be impossible to do a PSIII remake down to every detail, especially the visuals since there are practically pretty much nothing ripped from PSIII for the charasets, etc. How good/close would the visuals have to be acceptable, other than obviously following the layout of the original dungeons/overworld map? Would those RPG Maker creatures suffice as subsiutiting for stand-in for PSIII creatures as long as they at least look remotely similar and bear the same names? Battle animations, and so on....

aquarianalex
12 years ago#7
I also am curious, Ragun....

"10. Eliminate all escapepipe glitches." ... Don't you think this would be interesting to leave in, because that is one of the things I liked about PSIII.

Also, just to check, you want Laya's name to be changed so she is not confused with her older sister, Laya, who?

User Info: Jonatan L

Jonatan L
12 years ago#8
After doing some research on the Internet, I realized it is going to be impossible to do a PSIII remake down to every detail, especially the visuals since there are practically pretty much nothing ripped from PSIII for the charasets, etc.

Character animations have been posted already, they just need to be arranged. pscave.com has most of the enemies. As for tiles, it would be quite possible to rip them from the game. PS3 has fairly limited environments, so it shouldn't take that long. Otherwise, I suppose other tiles could be used, but at least make sure they fit the rest of the graphics. (Oh, and no Final Fantasy rips please.)

How good/close would the visuals have to be acceptable, other than obviously following the layout of the original dungeons/overworld map?

PS3's battle animations are pretty much the worst in the entire series, so I wouldn't want to see them duplicated anyway. I'd pretty much use PSII/PSIV rips all the way through, with modified character sprites. (It shouldn't be too hard to make a Mieu out of Nei and/or RIka.)

Would those RPG Maker creatures suffice as subsiutiting for stand-in for PSIII creatures as long as they at least look remotely similar and bear the same names?

That's a pretty bad idea IMO. RM's (at least 2k/2k3, I'm not really familiar with XP) default enemies look nothing like PSIII's, and they don't mesh at all with the graphical style.
"Starting a war is not a rational thing to do. Cool off in the dungeon for a while!"

aquarianalex
12 years ago#9
I am glad I asked for thoughts on this board before just jumping into the project then abandoning it. After doing exhaustive research/searching for PSIII resources on the Internet and factoring in all the work required to remake this kind of game, it is not possible to make a decent remake of PSIII all by myself or just one person.....

1) PSIII has a TOTAL of SEVEN quests (Rhys, Ayn, Nial, Sean, Crys, Aron, Adan) even though essentially the last four quests can be sort of repeated with same maps/enemies and swapping in/out appropriate characters since in the original game, the last four generations essentially played the same quests, just in different starting places and with different characters. That is already a HUGE task before even starting to remake Rhys's quest!

2) PSIII resources (facesets, chara-sets, palettes, enemies, etc) for RPG Maker are very scant, even on the Internet. And I don't have the skills or means to do the rip-offs myself from the PSIII game, I don't even know how to! LOL though I managed to get all the facesets myself. Doing all that would require tons of time!

3) Not to mention fixing all the holes in the plots, expanding it, etc...

I strongly commend anybody who would take on the intimidating project of remaking PSIII since I don't think I can cut it. LOL. Hats off to that person who actually did a tribute to Rhys' quest on RPG Maker. That was a feat!
  1. Boards
  2. Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
  3. Remaking Phantasy Star 3 in RPG MAKER
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A