• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Liberty or Death
  3. My first post here after 5-years...kind of Nostalgic - let's talk British !

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
2 years ago#1
So...wow...back here again... I see my last post in 2013 is still here...haha, that's amazing.

I was feeling nostalgic for this fun strategy game again, a few weeks ago, and popped out the ol' PSP for another go (I have the actual physical original game in its case - with manual, etc - in my dresser drawer. Kind of a piece of history, in a way, given how old it is).

I almost always play as the Brits, because playing as Americans tends to be so easy, once you get past the first several months.

With the USA, the following tends to happen:

1.) Start a New Game

2.) See if you get to act first (Springfield, with Washington and his generals), or second (Boston goes first). Ideally you got to "go first" - and if you immediately launch an attack on Boston, and focus your assault on British C+C Gage's fortress location, you can almost always "capture" him, which will end the fight instantly, with all enemy Generals captured - and their regiments "auto-destroyed". With one swoop, you take out Clinton and Howe, plus - if you went "first" - in terms of Turn Order you will pillage the huge amount of starting Gold that Gage's territory starts the game with. I recall getting as much as 2000 or more Gold, when pulling this off, in past games.

3.) Once Gage and Boston is out - you immediately trigger the Declaration of Independence, giving a huge boost to Popular Support, in all the districts on the map (excepting Canada and Florida, of course). Since you are doing this on Turn-1, you almost always will have no British Army units in districts OTHER than Canada / Florida (which allows for the Declaration event to happen).

4.) With these boosts in place, you can easily shift north and KO Carleton and his Canadian generals, with a bit of a fight - but nothing too challenging to pull off. The North becomes yours very rapidly, and you only have a few more difficulties left.

5.) Hessian Assault - this is about the only 'tricky' thing for the American side... because the AI will almost always buy the 8 maximum Regiments of Hessians on Turn-1 (for them), you know you will be facing an amphibious invasion of a sea-facing district, at some point in the first quarter... and depending on your luck, it can be a powerful stack of guys like Von Heister, Knyphausen, Holder (cannon), Jaegerman (guerillas), etc.

BUT.. once you've shifted units away from wherever they landed at, you can fortify the North / Central states, and gradually push south. The game tends to end down in Florida, as the final take-out of the British occurs. You may or may not get the French and Spanish units coming in too, at that point - but it's sort of overkill. You don't really need the additional 15 or so regiments those two powers provide (total)... by the time they actually commit to the War.

---------------------
---------------------

OKAY...all that preamble aside.... the point of the topic was more on the British. Specifically, how much the designers shafted the Brit commanders, relative to the Americans. It's always irked me how low the Discipline is for many of them, when in fact that should be their one STRONG point...with the Americans getting higher marks in Leadership and Tactics (in most cases). It's truly rare to have any Brit regiments with even 70's in all 3 main stats... let alone 80's.

For the Americans, they have a ton of units with Leadership 70+, Tactics 70+, AND Discipline 70+... it's a big disparity, when comparing the two Armies.

* for me, the most hilarious example of this will always be Marinus 'freakin' Willett.... the New York Militia Artillery officer... who has the HIGHEST stats of any Cannon unit in the game. And he's a MILITIA...a freebie...lol. Yet he has something like 90-Ldr, 92-Tactics, 88-Discipline.

Ah well..no wonder the Brits for real, amirite ? ;-)

User Info: cacawaffingcan

cacawaffingcan
2 years ago#2
try extending the war until the supposed george passing away.

It's funny your strategy and attitude is exactly like mine. Took many hours to develop. One key piece to the A.I = incredibly stupid at wandering near assisting fleets and is subject to massive casualties.

It's cheap but it works.

User Info: AlekTrev006

AlekTrev006
2 years ago#3
cacawaffingcan posted...
try extending the war until the supposed george passing away.

I'm going to try this in my next game as the Americans, actually. But see this post I made over on the Super Nintendo board for this game, as well - as it covers my experiences in another unique way the game can end: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/588443-liberty-or-death/77559306

------

Also related to that thread, is the fact that BECAUSE of that happening so much (enemy Government kicking C+C's over and over again)... I really struggle to think how you can get it reliably to the King George supposed death event. I suspect you might have to purposely nerf yourself and give the enemy access to the entire North maybe...just hold up in Maryland or maybe take PA and then just sit on everything else with big stacks of regiments at your borders with the Brits. Then just set Authorize for everything in the rear guard and just keep clicking "next, next, next, to blow through and get to the next Gov Phase"... rinse, repeat...and hope that your stalemating the Brits doesn't result in Parliament kicking out all their Commanders, before the King passes away.

---------------------------

cacawaffingcan posted...
One key piece to the A.I = incredibly stupid at wandering near assisting fleets and is subject to massive casualties.

This is a good point. I actually saw another more risky way to play the Brits, early in the game - which is instead of fleeing to Western NY to pick up the various Ranger units there (excellent pick ups, normally), you would flee instead to Newport, Rhode Island - and hunker down there, with the Fleet (in Transport Mode). When the American Army attacks from Springfield and such (they'll move down to be in range to strike you, of course)... you would stall them on the Peninsula approach to the sole Fort on that map. As they try to get over that single piece of land, the Fleet will be bombarding them constantly.

The poster who suggested this strategy, mentioned he's seen the Brit Fleet destroy the majority of the attacking American Army there (like 3000+ casualties from the Fleet alone)... shattering their combat strength early on. If Washington is foolish enough to join the battle himself, and you captured him when he tries to fall back - the entire attacking force will surrendur instantly - allowing you to imprison like 8 or 10 great Generals, at the outset of your war. Quite a boost to your chances ;-) !
(edited 2 years ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Liberty or Death
  3. My first post here after 5-years...kind of Nostalgic - let's talk British !
  • Post New Message
More topics from this board...
this game ruleszero_812845/3 1:37AM

GameFAQs Q&A