• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Football
  3. RIP Pro Evo

User Info: The_Great_Curve

The_Great_Curve
3 months ago#1
Not sure how many pay attention and I know the series has been dying a slow death but Konami officially has axed PES branding and instead will be releasing a F2P cross platform game just called “eFootball” that will be launching with a whopping 9 (yes nine) clubs to play as, but making up for it with what I’m sure is exponentially more opportunity for micro transactions. I know the FUT/MyClub gamblefest model has become the biggest moneymaker in sports gaming, but its still a surprise to see Konami bite the bullet and ditch the pretense that they care about any other part of the game.

Pour one out for a legendary football gaming institution 😢

User Info: No1Stormie

No1Stormie
3 months ago#2
It'll always be International Superstar Soccer to me.
Things that should last 4 days: Working week, pub sessions, a game of Monopoly.
Things that should last 5 days: Test cricket.

User Info: maestro malone

maestro malone
3 months ago#3
Zero pressure for Fifa to be good forever more then.

User Info: Malfunction

Malfunction
3 months ago#4
maestro malone posted...
Zero pressure for Fifa to be good forever more then.
I mean, was there before this for close to a decade? Pro Evo forced FIFA to be good at a time where you could stretch money and devs far more and actually compete with the resources of the likes of EA. I don't even think Pro Evo registers on the radar for them anymore tbh. Ultimate Team probably brings in more cash than Pro Evo has in its entire lifetime.

That said, the last couple of Pro Evos have been pretty good and mostly a return to form imo. Hard to look past the licensing stuff as much as you would back in the day cos we're all so used to a pristine, polished product but the actual gameplay is good fun. And it's practically been free on Game Pass very soon after release for this period too so, for all the dramatics about the name being retired, I think this might work out for them from a financial point of view once all's said and done.

Feel that 'eFootball' isn't as bizarre a name as Winning Eleven or Pro Evolution Soccer though so that is a mark against it.

Malfunction
3 months ago#5
oh i didn't know that about the *9 teams* stuff tbh, that is a bit s***

User Info: ClaudeCat_

ClaudeCat_
3 months ago#6
Only awful in-house music like this will bring me back I’m afraid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXxqmAxDlYU
What if the pope blasted cigs?

Malfunction
3 months ago#7
need a bizarre mix of world music and stuff like that instead of some pitchfork-lite s***

User Info: saadtariq

saadtariq
3 months ago#8
The last few Pro Evos have definitely been good. I was looking forward to seeing what they'd do with a new engine after taking a year off to work on it.

Should have known better. They put out a demo the other week which was clearly an early build of this new game... and it was garbage.
Hostility is the calling card of a weak intellect
GRAVY!

User Info: maestro malone

maestro malone
3 months ago#9
Malfunction posted...
I mean, was there before this for close to a decade? Pro Evo forced FIFA to be good at a time where you could stretch money and devs far more and actually compete with the resources of the likes of EA. I don't even think Pro Evo registers on the radar for them anymore tbh. Ultimate Team probably brings in more cash than Pro Evo has in its entire lifetime.

I guess the fact that PES existed and had an established brand name meant that Fifa had to at least meet some minimum acceptable standard. Like if Fifa got bad enough, people could eventually say "bollocks to this, I'll get the other football game". Albeit it would take a lot for the kids to do that.

Whereas now Fifa just is the football game market.

User Info: Nanami

Nanami
3 months ago#10
Dropping PES in favor on creating a gacha game. Basically took the worst of FIFA and make a game out of it. Great job Konami.
  1. Boards
  2. Football
  3. RIP Pro Evo
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A