• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  3. Requires 4-way joystick....anyone else notice?

User Info: Celebratox

Celebratox
4 months ago#1
So I noticed that even though this and the original Ghosts 'n Goblins are absent from pretty much all lists of games that support/require 4-way joysticks, they still seem to require a 4-way stick when playing with MAME. For instance, if you're playing with an 8-way stick and do not use only the 4 cardinal directions (such as doing a down-left or down-right diagonal), your character gets stuck either crouching or standing still. The game seems to get confused whenever you use a diagonal direction, just like any other 4-way joystick game like Pac-man or Donkey Kong.

Also, on the game's official control panel overlay (https://i.imgur.com/3S9lBnU.png), the artwork around the joystick clearly implies the use of a 4-way joystick (also the stick in this screenshot is a 4-way stick).

I just found it odd as to why this game and Ghosts 'n Goblins are not on any lists of 4-way games when it's absolutely a 4-way game. Just throwing it out there in case anyone else runs into problems running the game with an 8-way stick like I did. Very frustrating when playing such a difficult game like this or the original GnG.

Weird that the Genesis and Master System versions don't have this problem despite their inferiority - I guess they updated the game's code to enable the use of an 8-way controller for those versions.
VIVE PRO] ASUS Z170-P D3] i5 6600k w/H105] 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1866] ZOTAC GTX1080 Ti] Samsung 850 EVO 1TB] Corsair CMPSU-850HX] Corsair Carbide 330R
(edited 4 months ago)

User Info: mastergizmo

mastergizmo
1 month ago#2
Yeah 100%. I'm running GnG in my custom built cabinet with a Sanwa JLF Stick.
The game didn't feel like in the past. I had extreme problems with crouching and ladders which was very frustrating. So I switched the restrictor plate to 4-way. And voila, its perfect now. Much easier to play :-)
  1. Boards
  2. Ghouls 'n Ghosts
  3. Requires 4-way joystick....anyone else notice?
  • Post New Message