• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. TuxPuck
  3. Just started playing. Some comments:

User Info: squirrelpup

squirrelpup
3 years ago#1
I like it so far. I'm constantly near death and have to make careful use of my limited money and resources, so it's more exciting. Also I love how it obsoletes the sprint shoes, gauntlet, and genji glove in favor of some more sensible mechanics. And I'm enjoying the new script.

Some things I noticed, though:

* Whelk one-shotted me. He didn't even say Gruu!
* The moogles are way too strong now. This battle is too easy.
* The merchant with the cider walked /over/ the doorframe somehow after I spoke to him in the basement. Maybe this is the emulator's fault though?

The Ultros battle took way too long. Seriously. I bio blasted him and then spammed auto-crossbow, pummel, fire, and health until Terra ran out of mana and had to resort to fighting for a pretty long time. Also it looked like Ultros was taking 200+ damage each turn just from the poison, which is more than even pummel or fire did to him. Fire is supposed to be his weakness, right? It didn't do much spectacular damage to him. I guess I should have looked up the combo for aura bolt while I had the chance. I'm glad I put Banon in the back row after reading the warning, because at one point he got hit with a tentacle that very nearly one-shotted him. He survived with 20HP. Anyway mostly I was just spamming A for many minutes here which got kinda boring. Considering how much damage he was taking from poison he probably would have died about as fast if my team did nothing but turtle up for a while :P.

Hm, it occurs to me that it may have gone faster if Sabin was in the front row. I didn't realize that his physical blitzes care about formation in this version. That doesn't explain the ineffectiveness of fire though, and Edgar's auto crossbow and bio blaster wouldn't be affected.

Also, the help text said that slow would work on most things, but it sure didn't work on Ultros.

squirrelpup
3 years ago#2
I just noticed that Banon's sword casts lightning, which is also one of Ultros' weaknesses. I guess I should have had him attack sometimes instead of just healing. That and putting Sabin in the front row may have sped things up, but it would have been a lot more dangerous.

squirrelpup
3 years ago#3
Looking at the esper restrictions now. Heh, Merton is still called Merton? Why not change it to Meltdown like it clearly means to say, or Inferno since it's identical to Rubicante's special move in FF4?

I'm a little surprised that Locke's spell list isn't more inspired by the Ninja from FF1. He could have been given Phantom, like Shadow is. But the choices make sense, I mean he has to have Phoenix and Ifrit and Kirin are clear lead-ins to that, and he does have the highest priority for talking to Ramuh.

Anyway I just got to the veldt and I'm loving this so far. I got a buncha rages for Gau. I'm surprised I haven't run into any cats or dogs here yet though -- did you remove those?

User Info: BTB

BTB
3 years ago#4
Oh, cool, this board is active, too >.>
"Good luck and good gaming." -Klaravoyia
  1. Boards
  2. TuxPuck
  3. Just started playing. Some comments:
  • Topic Archived