• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. TuxPuck
  3. This game is god damn difficult so far.

User Info: LatinFlute

LatinFlute
4 years ago#11
Both in fact, but I've a very strong feeling that I'm probably missing a key element in this version of the game that's probably the reason why I have such a hard time, because weren't people doing low-level runs of this game? I don't even see how that's possible given my experience so far because I have everyone on the back row and they still get walloped pretty bad, even with some regular enemies (coming back to Narshe, the repomen were the last enemies I expected to flat out kill me with ease, yet there I was dead as that attic broad who wrote them diaries).

Back to the fight though, It was mainly a cointoss between Gau and Locke as to who would die first, because Celes would get lucky and runic most of the major spells (If i could get her to cast it in time), but either Gau will get like 2-shotted real quick, or Locke would get a bad streak, and Sabin's Mantra would only help so much. Mind you at first I had Gau with the life bell and spent most of my time trying to keep him alive because I figured his repoman rage would kill 024 for me, but nope; I had to switch out and give the stuff to Sabin to use as my backup when the rest of the party would start to fall apart.

In fact, it feels like that team relied way too much on Sabin, because as it stands right now, Locke and Celes feel pretty damn useless, Edgar is merely ok, Cyan was a good counterpart to Sabin, and... Well Terra feels weak still, and Setzer, I can't say yet because I barely used him, and Shadow is off being a badass somewhere.

I gotta be doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what. I've read the readme, I've been poking my head around Insane Difficulty and taking advice from some of the builds, but I feel like i'm about to "overlevel" WoB just to do some of the things other people seem to be doing with no problem.

UNLESS the game is supposed to feel that challenging, and I'm just misunderstanding some of the stuff some people have been able to do with the game via low-level runs with 100% optimal builds and teams and whatnot. Like, as in i'm trying to figure out why doing the 100 meter dash is so difficult when Usain Bolt can do it in like 5 seconds or whatever while forgetting to take into account that he's Kenyan and i'm not, plus many other factors like he trains and I don't.
but I really miss helping grandma pulling up her underwear. ~ luc good

User Info: BTB

BTB
4 years ago#12
Typically, Locke either plays healer in that fight or goes to town with dual Butterflies.

The biggest X-factor I've seen with strategy in the mod, IMO, is equipment load-out. Most tough fights are usually overcome by changing out gear (mostly relics in the early game) for a different setup. Using Celes as a lightning rod in the 24 fight is a good call, and the rest of the damage is dealt with by beefing up magic defense (the Amulets you can buy in Tzen are a big boon, since they also offer muddle protection).

Beyond that, my other observation is that you seem to undervalue the primary healers in the game (which would be Locke and Setzer, presently).
"Good luck and good gaming." -Klaravoyia

LatinFlute
4 years ago#13
Strategy is everything I quickly realized, and I'm actually digging it, but it always feels like i'm running out of money and can never afford anything, but I don't want to grind too much and outlevel everything.

The thing we have to take into account here is that i'm also an idiot, so bare that in mind while I describe my experiences in the game so far.

That being said though, I JUST got Setzer, and I haven't had the opportunity yet to really heal with Locke, as the espers were either not available yet, or they're being used by someone else.

I'm probably overthinking stuff too much, and should just play the game and stop worrying so much about perfect specs and all of that.

I don't want to spoil anything for myself, but at this point where I have the airship and am free to do whatever, shoul I grind out some levels, or just play naturally? Or better yet, what soft level-cap would you recommend so I don't cheat myself out of some interesting challenges once I enter WoR?
but I really miss helping grandma pulling up her underwear. ~ luc good

BTB
4 years ago#14
There are some exp. humps to keep you from overleveling, and really what keeps you from doing it more than anything is the lack of leaked experience.

The way BNW is designed is such that you shouldn't have to grind at all unless you run from a lot of battles. That said, we do expect you to stop by the Veldt every once in awhile to get some rages, learn spells, and get some cash.

LatinFlute
4 years ago#15
I don't want this topic to die just yet but it's been a busy week and I haven't been able to set aside much time for the game, but i'm itching to get back into it soon.

I think i'm focusing too much on builds and not enough on playing the game. I got like 5 tabs of Brave New World topics open and a txt file on what i'm trying to achieve with some characters. I have a bad habit of overthinking things <_<
it's called "parking". it was invented by Sir Isaac Newton. ~ Blumenkraft in response to a really stupid question

BTB
4 years ago#16
I do the same thing. Although it's not necessary, it is fun to do if you're a builder/planner type.

Needless to say, I've spent *far* more time theorycrafting about this game than actually playing it.

LatinFlute
4 years ago#17
I need to get back into it! Life sucks and I just want to play video games D:
it's called "parking". it was invented by Sir Isaac Newton. ~ Blumenkraft in response to a really stupid question

LatinFlute
4 years ago#18
Don't die, topic!

BTB
4 years ago#19
Threads on this board never die - just the actors who portray them

LatinFlute
4 years ago#20
Hahaha
  1. Boards
  2. TuxPuck
  3. This game is god damn difficult so far.
  • Topic Archived