• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. TuxPuck
  3. Next project for you guys?

User Info: Seca Verins

Seca Verins
5 years ago#1
So, I don't know if this is the appropriate place to inquire, but I figured I'd ask:

While there's certainly more tweaks to be done with Brave New World, and I mean, balance is never entirely perfect on anything, it does seem like it's in more or less a "finished" state, with recent updates being lighter "balance" patches like tweaking enemy difficulty and whatnot. That being the case, I was wondering if you guys had given any consideration to doing another project after this? Brave New World is probably my definitive version of FF6 now, and I'd love to see other great RPGs with somewhat broken mechanics given a similar treatment. Have you guys thought about that at all, or is this probably a one-time sort of thing for you, what with having jobs and stuff?

Lord knows, I'd love to see a version of Chrono Trigger with balanced character and actually remotely difficult battles...

User Info: BTB

BTB
5 years ago#2
My eventual goal is to go back to the projects I was working on before Synchysi and I started on FF6. I have a mod for Civilization 3 that I've more or less finished updating aside from finishing up the documentation, and then after that it's back to Morrowind.
"Good luck and good gaming." -Klaravoyia

User Info: Averlus

Averlus
5 years ago#3
There are a few games I'd like to go back and putz with (FF5 and DW4, to name a couple), but I can't say they'd turn into full-blown projects like this one. Chrono Trigger might be interesting; I'd be curious to see how much there is in the way of documentation for that game.
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

BTB
5 years ago#4
I'd really like to see how DW4's "tactics" system works. It claims to actually learn as you play... which could explain why my Cristo seemed infinitely smarter than yours.

Averlus
5 years ago#5
My intial idea for DW4 is to scrap the "Try Out" tactic and replace it with manual control. Then I'd work on rebalancing some of the characters - particularly by making Alena less of a one-woman world-destroyer, and by buffing Nara somehow, since she's probably the worst character in the game.

Although being able to use Barrier on-demand might make her significantly more useful.

BTB
5 years ago#6
Yeah, I think manual control would up Brey's usefulness rather significantly, too.

Alena would probably just be ok by getting rid of the Stiletto Earrings.

Averlus
5 years ago#7
The Stiletto Earrings are sort of an iconic DW weapon, though. The Falcon Sword has appeared in every game since DW2 in some form or another, so I wouldn't want to get rid of them. And turning them into an actual Falcon Sword would probably end up making Ragnar way too powerful.

I'd probably end up giving a significant hit to Alena's strength (and maybe HP to a less significant degree) gains after a certain level, to make sure she can still handle her own chapter without turning her into the Apocalypse in chapter 5.

BTB
5 years ago#8
You could give the Falcon Sword to someone like Talloon or Cristo, I suppose.

I think Alena's biggest issue with attacking twice is less an issue of power and more that her high luck (I'm fairly certain it's luck) means she gets a lot of critical hits.

Averlus
5 years ago#9
Taloon or Cristo would be an option, but then it would feel like kind of a throwaway weapon. The biggest issue with the Falcon Sword has always been that it requires someone with high natural strength to use well. Taloon may qualify, but Cristo probably won't.

If it's anything like DW3, Alena's crit rate is tied to her. In DW3, the fighter class had a critical hit rate based on his/her level, while everyone else was the standard 1/32. I think past level 3 or so, the fighter's critical rate was higher than the standard and grew on a fairly linear path.

It may be tied to luck in DW4, though. You never really physically attack with the other high-luck characters to get a good feel for their crit rates.

BTB
5 years ago#10
It could be tied to characters, I don't know. Or it could be a function of agility rather than luck, I'm not sure. If it is based on luck or agility, though, and strength doesn't factor in, then Mara should be a critical machine by all accounts (Venemous Dagger + Metal Babbles, I suppose).
  1. Boards
  2. TuxPuck
  3. Next project for you guys?
  • Topic Archived