• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. TuxPuck
  3. FF6 - Brave New World discussion

User Info: Averlus

Averlus
5 years ago#1
This here be a continuation of the discussion topics for BNW. Yar.

Feel free to drop by our subforum at Insane Difficulty. It's fairly active and there are a number of people there to answer questions or otherwise help out if neither BTB nor I are around.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/forum/133-final-fantasy-vi-brave-new-world/

Current version: 1.4.4

Download links
http://www.synchysi.com/ff6p/
http://abusemynipples.biz

In the works for 1.4.5
• Added a hack to change the Odin summon and the Zantetsuken's random cleave proc to deal damage or a critical hit, respectively, against bosses (see the "To The Pain!" hack description for more info)

• Modified the Atma/Omega Weapon damage formula to add four times the wilder's stamina to the final damage total as was done in previous versions of the hack, but was removed when we changed up the formula in version 1.4.0 (see the "Atma & Omega" hack description for more info)

• Replaced the "ignores row" property of spears with a random counter-attack

• Removed the "ignores row" property from a hidden weapon and lowered its power

• Fine-tuned the power/stat boosts of several weapons (mostly swords) and relics

• Renamed Shadow's final two weapons (the Striker and Stunner) to be less generic/stupid-sounding

• Added a hack that will allow one of Edgar's tools to be more useful in the late game

• Raised the power of the special attack on the Stray Cat rage

• Celes now learns Cure 2 at level 18 instead of Ice 2

• Terra now learns Storm at level 20 instead of Regen

• Tweaked the stats/scripts of a few late-game bosses

• Fixed an error where the Royal Jacket had an incorrect prize when bet at the Colosseum

• Fixed an error where Kefka's attacks during the Imperial Camp sequence were healing you

• Fixed an error where the Succubus/Lilith enemy set had the incorrect common steal

• Fixed an error where Zone Eater would not engulf characters who were airborne when it triggered
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.

User Info: BTB

BTB
5 years ago#2
To that I'll add that I'm working on redoing the offensive esper summons to make them more useful against bosses by raising their power and adding in split damage. Shouldn't take me too long.

What all is done on your end?
"Good luck and good gaming." -Klaravoyia

Averlus
5 years ago#3
And now for things I've been working on over the past day or so.

The Zantetsuken cleave effect is done, despite my deleted message at the end of the last thread wherein I prematurely declared as much. Since the critical roll is performed before the item effect is executed, I had to make an exception in the effect to prevent quadruple-dipping. As a byproduct of this, I think I discovered what enables the screen to flash on a critical hit, so that should allow me to enable that when Umaro throws Mog.

The Autocrossbow upgrade bit works. I have yet to test the event's functionality, but it's pretty straightforward so I don't anticipate any problems. The captions are set up thusly:

Chancellor
Nothing changes with his WoR caption if Edgar is not in your party. If Edgar is in the party...
If you have the schematics or you're not in the WoR, it will call caption 947.
If the above branch fails (you're in the WoR and you don't have the schematics), it will call caption 1652.

Soldier
If you're not in the WoR, it will call caption 81. If you are...
It will call caption 1653. If Edgar is in the party and you don't have the schematics, it will then call caption 1654. I wasn't quite sure if this is the way you intended this part to work, though.
You will then be granted the Schematics key item, which is the old Autograph KI (should be the first blank slot after the WD-40).

I have yet to do the Atma Weapon thing, but I don't anticipate any problems.

I also haven't messed with Narshe's weapon shop owner yet.

What I am having problems with is Odin. It doesn't seem esper summons use special effects the same way regular spells do, so I'm having troubles writing its new effect to deal damage to bosses. At this point I'm leaning toward scrapping this idea, since Strago is not in any dire need of another way to inflict a load of damage.

BTB
5 years ago#4
Were you working with the special effect of the summon itself, or were you trying to intercept the summon before it went off and redirect it to another spell slot if the "boss" flag was detected?

Averlus
5 years ago#5
It shouldn't be necessary to hijack another spell slot; the Autocrossbow hack confirmed that I can manually modify spell and item parameters.

What I tried doing was to change the special effect Odin was using to a blank one and implementing the effect that way. Unfortunately the effect never gets executed.

BTB
5 years ago#6
That's weird...

Just for curiosity's sake, what happens if you edit the effect directly?

(For the record, all that the special effect itself is doing is preventing final counters from enemies; the actual cleave death is tied to the animation. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.)

Averlus
5 years ago#7
Well yeah, I know that. Editing the effect itself would be useless, as that's the issue I'm having. The effect never gets executed. It's like Odin doesn't even use it.

BTB
5 years ago#8
That would make sense. It's why I figured you'd have to hijack another spell slot since I figured I'd have to edit the animation to remove the "cleave" part.

Averlus
5 years ago#9
I'd just as soon scrap that idea. It's nice for flavor, but really rather unnecessary.

Also, for the record, all the animation does is hide the enemy sprite. The death itself is tied to the spell data. You can test this by removing the death effects from Odin (or Cleave) and run it again. An invisible enemy will still be attacking you (though casting a spell on him seems to make him reappear).

BTB
5 years ago#10
Huh. Interesting.

And yeah, I'll vote to just go ahead and scrap it. I don't think it's important enough to chase up on, and as you said I'd rather not delay this update any more than necessary.
  1. Boards
  2. TuxPuck
  3. FF6 - Brave New World discussion
  • Topic Archived