• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Is there a way to install NetHack on Linux on a single user's folder only?

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
3 years ago#1
As in, I'm not the root of the system nor do I have administrative rights. I just want to install it in my own folder to play.

User Info: Super_Subzero-

Super_Subzero-
3 years ago#2
majesticmystic posted...
As in, I'm not the root of the system nor do I have administrative rights. I just want to install it in my own folder to play.

The easiest way to play NetHack on a Linux system is to install Wine then download the Windows version of NetHack, unzip it, and run it in Wine. The Windows version isn't technically "installed" at all, it runs right from its folder.

Basically you need to download and unzip the Windows version of Nethack and copy it on a USB drive. You can then play it on any Linux PC that has Wine.

User Info: cute_fan

cute_fan
3 years ago#3
Or the DOS version, with DOS Box \^.^/

Plus, DOS Box is a much smaller and simpler program than Wine, so there's much less that can go wrong.
I'm on Linux myself, and have frequently used DOS Box (and occasionally used Wine too) for classic games and such.

Good luck, and have fun ^.^
cuteness ^.^
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Is there a way to install NetHack on Linux on a single user's folder only?
  • Topic Archived