3 years ago #33

I will repeat here what I posted on rpg.net forums.

Slash'em Extended is too hard.

Having your items stolen, getting amnesia, and getting level-drained is never fun, especially when it happens so often. I have also noticed that there are monsters in Slash'em Extended that can disintegrate your armor, this is not the same as the "destroy armor" spell but an engulf+disintegration attack which can't be blocked by MR or Reflection. It's not a good idea to have such monsters appear before Gehennom. Disintegration resistance is not easy to obtain, most players won't have it until well after their Quest.

From what I have seen so far of Slash'em Extended it has everything that the original Slash'em has, and much more, and makes everything even more difficult. The game should be challenging but not to the point that it becomes unplayable.

Yes. This was a major aspect of unbalance, but as of version v128, a new system has been introduced that allows me to assign fractional spawn frequencies to monsters. Now, that freaking antimatter vampire is 20 times less likely to randomly spawn, and all the other monsters that were overpowered in my opinion will also spawn much less often. Since the game is still in active development, things will probably be changed even more in future versions, hopefully shifting game balance even further in the right direction.

Level drain is annoying, yes, but that can be prevented by having drain resistance in the form of an amulet, dragon scale mail, or even a helmet. The latter might be the best option because it's in a slot that doesn't have many other ascension kit items. On my last game on the server, I used an early wish to obtain magic resistance and then the game started spewing out monsters with wands of draining - should have wished for a source of drain resistance instead! :( Basically, drain resistance is an essential part of Slash'EM Extended's ascension kit.

Oh, and I also have plans to implement the "ring of keen memory", which essentially is a ring of amnesia resistance. It's probably going to be yet another ascension kit item that will compete with other choices, but at least it will present a way to ward off amnesia effects. :)

Previous Versions
    3 years ago

I will repeat here what I posted on rpg.net forums.

Slash'em Extended is too hard.

Having your items stolen, getting amnesia, and getting level-drained is never fun, especially when it happens so often. I have also noticed that there are monsters in Slash'em Extended that can disintegrate your armor, this is not the same as the "destroy armor" spell but an engulf+disintegration attack which can't be blocked by MR or Reflection. It's not a good idea to have such monsters appear before Gehennom. Disintegration resistance is not easy to obtain, most players won't have it until well after their Quest.

From what I have seen so far of Slash'em Extended it has everything that the original Slash'em has, and much more, and makes everything even more difficult. The game should be challenging but not to the point that it becomes unplayable.

Yes. This was a major aspect of unbalance, but as of version v128, a new system has been introduced that allows me to assign fractional spawn frequencies to monsters. Now, that freaking antimatter vampire is 20 times less likely to randomly spawn, and all the other monsters that were overpowered in my opinion will also spawn much less often. Since the game is still in active development, things will probably be changed even more in future versions, hopefully shifting game balance even further in the right direction.

Level drain is annoying, yes, but that can be prevented by having drain resistance in the form of an amulet, dragon scale mail, or even a helmet. The latter might be the best option because it's in a slot that doesn't have many other ascension kit items. On my last game on the server, I used an early wish to obtain magic resistance and then the game started spewing out monsters with wands of draining - should have wished for a source of drain resistance instead! :( Basically, drain resistance is an essential part of Slash'EM Extended's ascension kit.