You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. The Create a Class wishes came true - with Slash'EM Extended, the kitchen sink!

User Info: AmyBSOD

AmyBSOD
4 years ago#1
Greetings, fellow Nethackers! My name's Amy, and I'm a relatively new NetHack player who has been lurking for some while. The "Create a Class" topics on this board are what I really liked, and now has come the time for me to break my silence and announce something great. For I am a dev team, and I decided to fulfill the player's wishes to have new classes in the game.

A great many hours have been spent coding, but now Slash'EM Extended version v85 is out, a variant that is itself based on the SLASH'EM variant, and it has most of the roles that I read about in the Create a Class topics. The added roles also include some all-new ones that I made up on my own, as well as suggestions from other people, but from this very board I implemented the Librarian, Bloodseeker, Foxhound Agent, Sage, Mahou Shoujo, Otaku, Assassin and many more. And I really hope the cool dudes and dudettes who suggested them are still reading, since I'm fairly sure they knew all along that the dev team will never make those classes playable anyway. Well, "The" Dev Team didn't, and they probably wouldn't be posting here anyway since they're some really mysterious group and you'd have to be an effing NetHack celebrity to be contacted by them, but I'm a one-woman dev team with (arguably) too much time on my hands. So I went ahead and made this variant to show you all how much I appreciate the suggested new roles, and I put some effort into it to make them as close to their suggestion as possible.

Okay, at this point there's probably the question "But Amy, there's no way such a thing can exist! You're just teasing us but we all know nobody has the patience of sitting through dozens of role suggestions, coding them all into the game!"

Behold!
Here's the download link: https://app.box.com/s/bjmryzddy3t7llv6jekb
And here's the source code archive: https://app.box.com/s/szjtgjhqb8jpituffqth
There's also a NetHackWiki page written by me for this variant: http://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Slash%27EM_Extended
The binary is for Microsoft Windows, and people have told me they also got it to work under Linux with "Wine", an emulator-like tool.

Somewhere else, another question popped up: "Do ALL these classes have quests?" Yep. Sure, I know some of them are just copied over from existing roles' quests with slightly different monsters, but there are also some all-new quests with their own unique level layouts. At the very least, all the new roles have their own quest artifact and nemesis. And for the really impatient players who want to see it with their own eyes without actually having to play up to the quest with the new roles, there's wizard mode that allows instant Ctrl-V level teleportation to the quest levels, as well as the other parts of the game to see lots of new stuff. Indeed, there's much more: tons of new monsters, items and traps wait for the daring adventurer.

"But that sounds very complicated, I don't want to be forced to continually look at a spoiler sheet just so I know what monster X or item Y does!"
Well, I've thought about that, too. Looking at a monster now displays a lot of its stats and attacks. How many times have you died because you underestimated the amount of damage a monster can do in one round of battle? At least for me, the answer reads "too many times". And the items also show what they do if one presses their corresponding letter while in the main inventory screen, so if you don't know what a "scroll of growth" or "potion of ice" does, that's how you find out without having to use up and possibly waste the item.

Of course I could write much more, but this message is getting very long already, so I'll just wish all players to have a lot of fun and enjoyment with Slash'EM Extended. I'd like to read stories of other player's runs, too. :)

See you!
-- Amy Bluescreenofdeath

User Info: Amnekian

Amnekian
4 years ago#2
"Do ALL these classes have quests?"

Pretty sure that was me. I guess that means you lurk around on /rlg/.

I was also the one who requested orcs to be able to #twoweapon and was amazed at the blinding speed you responded my request.

You are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIGgGV7uwU4
Codename: Amatsu

AmyBSOD
4 years ago#3
Well, I'm more-or-less lurking around everywhere my variant gets mentioned, so that's how I found that question; glad I could answer it ;). Thanks for your kind reply, and I hope the current version is enjoyable and running without major bugs! Of course I playtested all the new roles but chances are there'll still be some little things that I missed; for example, the ladiesman is supposed to get penalties for hitting females only if he's not female himself (by putting on an amulet of change), and I still didn't get around to coding the politician's ability to tame soldiers by bribing them.

But I'll keep working on it, hoping to make the game even better. :-)

User Info: cute_fan

cute_fan
4 years ago#4
Welcome ... and, excellent work! Thank you very much *cheers* \^.^/
cuteness ^.^

User Info: cute_fan

cute_fan
4 years ago#5
Happy Holidays, and thanks again for this very nice gift ^.^
cuteness ^.^

AmyBSOD
4 years ago#6
Hi kawaiifan! *wink* Thanks for saving! The game is still being updated regularly; current version is v91 with lots of new monsters and also quite some minor changes that make it even more enjoyable to play. The download link is still the same, and version v92 is in development. Have fun! :-)

Amnekian
4 years ago#7
I don't suppose you can make a Ctrl + F feature, can ya? Also, online SLASH'EM Extended when?

AmyBSOD
4 years ago#8
Hmm, I don't know what you mean with Ctrl-F feature; in wizard mode, that hotkey does magic mapping on the current dungeon level... Of course I'd like to present an online version but I don't know how to set up a server. Maybe I should ask the maintainer of one of the public servers to include my fork (which, by the way, has just been updated to version v95)?

Amnekian
4 years ago#9
Never mind about ctrl + f. Ctrl + f is to find stuff in a browser. Such command also exists in Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup and lets me to find items scattered around the dungeon, but I actually think that losing items (as in, forgetting where you left them) is part of the Nethack experience.

(which, by the way, has just been updated to version v95)?

Outstanding!!!
(edited 4 years ago)

User Info: Super_N3rd

Super_N3rd
4 years ago#10
Amazing.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. The Create a Class wishes came true - with Slash'EM Extended, the kitchen sink!