• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Hachi won't follow me down the stairs.

User Info: Pororocoian

Pororocoian
5 years ago#1
I find it increasingly difficult to get my pet to follow me so I can get him downstairs. I had to displace him about 5 times and then wait when he couldn't escape until he was in the right room, then I had to wait about 20 times + (a 20s when he left the room) to get him to finally get next to me. AND THAT WAS THE FIRST DUNGEON LEVEL!

I don't have a magic whistle yet or a leash, so those are out.

How can I get my pet to follow me down? why doesn't Nethack have a whistle command ("You whistle for your pet.")?
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster] ~ Anonymous

User Info: ahaeckerlin

ahaeckerlin
5 years ago#2
What you can do:

* Carry tripe (or meatballs) in the open. It makes pets follow you closer.
* Blow a tin whistle every 5 turns (available from the mine town watch). It encourages the pet slightly to stay close.
* Lead pets so that they just need to make a bee-line for you. They won't follow mazey-corridors. So keep track of where your pet is.
* Get a magic whistle or blessed eucalyptus leaf. Wish or polypile magic tools for the whistle, and kick (then cut down) trees for the leaf.

Other than that, there's not much you can do. Pacifist players need a lot of patience. The silver lining is that pets cycle through a random selection of personalities, so your dog will not always stay as obnoxious.
Tjr at the NetHack wiki: http://nethackwiki.com
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Hachi won't follow me down the stairs.
  • Topic Archived