You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2

User Info: theabomination

theabomination
7 years ago#41
How's this for luck? First dungeon level, I get: "You slip while trying to get on the saddled pony. You die..." Worst Knight ever.
'You want more play time, put it in the system and play it again.' -Canine Philosopher

User Info: jackripper36

jackripper36
7 years ago#42
theabomination posted...
How's this for luck? First dungeon level, I get: "You slip while trying to get on the saddled pony. You die..." Worst Knight ever.

it happens alot if you just start and try to mount
Protip: When digging down, don't stand on the block you're removing. Not unless you like to plunge head first into a giant cave filled with lava.

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
7 years ago#43
That's why you don't try to mount when you may die from d20.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.

theabomination
7 years ago#44
Is there always a chance of death when trying to mount? I had full health, no status ailments, and wasn't burdened, so the thought never crossed my mind.
'You want more play time, put it in the system and play it again.' -Canine Philosopher

User Info: anondum

anondum
7 years ago#45
if you are a level 1 knight yes. don't bother with riding until you gain some levels and your horse grows up a bit

User Info: anondum

anondum
7 years ago#46
So I happened to meet not one but two archons in vlad's tower and tamed both of them. then both of them got eaten by trappers in the wizard's tower because there was like 4 of them and I was killing a purple worm

well now I can use stormbringer again

theabomination
7 years ago#47
Quick question on Difficulty: I have read that the average of your experience level and dungeon level determines the Difficulty of monsters that will spawn. I was experience level 9 on dungeon level 11 or 12, and I was killed by a Vampire Lord (Difficulty 14). Does something else affect spawning that I am unaware of? I was in the Gnomish Mines, if that matters.

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
7 years ago#48
There always seem to be some overleveled monsters on the levels below Minetown. It's almost always where I first bump into Mind Flayers, for example
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#49
If a vampire quaffs a potion of gain level (monsters LOVE quaffing potions of gain level it seems) it can turn into a vampire lord.

Bones files too.
"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

User Info: ahaeckerlin

ahaeckerlin
7 years ago#50
If you see out-of-depth monsters in the mines, there's a polytrap somewhere. Go hunt it down and secure it or use it. It's a great resource.

Very rarely, mind flayers are indeed created in the mines. This is because the "make a random monster from a given class" function has a different difficulty cutoff. More precisely, super hard monsters become exponentially unlikely instead of flat impossible, as in ordinary random monster generation.
Tjr at the NetHack wiki: http://nethackwiki.com
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2