You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2

User Info: cute_fan

cute_fan
1 year ago#331
Where did everyone go? ^.^;
cuteness ^.^

User Info: Jedi_Knifed_9

Jedi_Knifed_9
1 year ago#332
Let's keep this thread alive.

cute_fan
1 year ago#333
Thank you ^.^
cuteness ^.^

cute_fan
1 year ago#334
*visits and saves* ^.^
cuteness ^.^

cute_fan
1 year ago#335
*looks around* >.> <.<
cuteness ^.^

User Info: AmyBSOD

AmyBSOD
1 year ago#336
Currently playing a phantom cavewoman in SLASH'EM Extended, post-quest, finished the Valley of the Dead and ready to go for Vlad and Rodney. Genocideless, wishless, polyselfless and polyobjectless conducts intact. Let's hope I can ascend her!

cute_fan
1 year ago#337
Welcome back, and good luck! *waves hello* ^.^/
cuteness ^.^

cute_fan
1 year ago#338
*visits and saves* ^.^
cuteness ^.^

User Info: JediKnifed-

JediKnifed-
1 year ago#339
Looks like Slash'Em Extended is going to become even more difficult.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nethack/comments/7ox4eq/setting_the_bar_even_higher/

SLASH'EM Extended is a very difficult NetHack fork, anyone who attempted to play it will probably agree with that statement. In fact, it's so hard that even now, more than 4 years after its initial release, only one person ever managed to ascend it, and that person is the developer, which is to say me. Due to having made the game, I'm basically fully spoiled and continue to be even as new versions are released, so by comparison the game is probably much easier for me than it is for others, although I still find it very hard. My latest ascension was a case in point.

The short and sweet of it is, I should already have ascended on 2017's Halloween, with a navi jester. But when I got to the Plane of Earth, I wanted to zap Rodney with my finger of death spell, and accidentally hit spacebar on the direction prompt; the last spell I used was extra healing, and you can of course guess in which direction I cast that. Gah. Well, now we have 2018 and everything will be better. I was playing a phantom cavewoman who got very lucky with item drops in the Dungeons of Doom, and thus managed to keep the wishless, genocideless, polyselfless and polyobjectless conducts all the way to the Castle. Since I had everything I needed, I didn't use the wishes I got there and decided to try to ascend with all those conducts intact. Gehennom was brutally difficult but I persevered, and actually managed to do that 4-conduct ascension. Like that jester would-have-been-an-ascension, it was done on a holiday (Epiphany). This sets a new record; so far, the maximum # of conducts I did was 2.

So this sets the bar even higher - there's already a wishless ironman binder ascension, as well as a lost soul mode ascension, but now there's also a 4-conduct ascension in this very hard variant, and chances are this record won't be topped for a while. I'm hoping that someone other than me will ascend it at all at some point, but I'm wondering whether that day will ever come... And what's more, the upcoming next version will greatly increase the length of the game.

"Huh? Say WHAT???"

Yeah. Better try to ascend version 2.1.1 while it's still on the server, for I'm working on the next version which completely overhauls the dungeon and turns winning the game into running a marathon. An absurd amount of patience will be required to beat that version, and players who ESC out of messages don't even need to try since they'll certainly miss a "You are slowing down." or "You feel deathly sick." somewhere along the way and die. Don't ESC out of messages in SLASH'EM Extended unless you hate your character and want to start over at dungeon level 1! Anyway, the regular dungeon will be increased to 100 levels. The upper 50 levels are the Dungeons of Doom, while the other 50 levels are Gehennom. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. The class quest is also increased in length - after claiming the Bell of Opening, the player has to traverse a new Subquest branch that is 10 levels long, and enter the Bell Caves to imbue the Bell of Opening. As long as that has not been done, the Bell of Opening just won't work when trying to perform the invocation ritual, making this Subquest a mandatory part of the game.

And it gets even better! After claiming the Amulet of Yendor, the player won't be able to start the ascension run right away. Instead, the Amulet must be imbued too. As long as that has not been done, Rodney's harassment is toned down greatly (i.e. it happens 10 times less often), intra-level teleportation is still possible, and spellcasting costs aren't inflated.

User Info: JediKnifed-

JediKnifed-
1 year ago#340

But in order to imbue the Amulet, the player has to visit the Yendorian Tower, which is accessed from Moloch's Sanctum. The Yendorian Tower is 100 levels long, contains numerous demon lairs (so the player will probably encounter some of the demons who didn't appear in Gehennom), and has three branch staircases placed randomly that lead to areas where the Amulet will be imbued. The player needs to visit all three such branches, and the staircases can be anywhere within the Yendorian Tower, meaning the player has to search all 100 levels of the Yendorian Tower and hope to find them. To top it off, if the player didn't kill all of the alignment key bosses (Nightmare, Vecna and Beholder), the ones who weren't killed will appear in those branches, much stronger than before. They don't have to be killed, but they are covetous and the player cannot teleport on those levels, making it almost impossible to evade them.

So, anyone who wants to ascend SLASH'EM Extended should probably try to do so now, while the dungeon is still "only" 72 levels long and the extra imbue quests don't exist yet. Yes, the bigger dungeon will come, it's useless to try to talk me out of it, I already have a working version of it running locally and it just needs some more fine-tuning, some more content to make sure all those additional dungeon levels don't seem barren and devoid of features, and a bit of bugfixing before it's ready. Technological progress cannot be stopped, and the old versions will eventually be desupported! :D Anyway, I hereby wish good luck to all players of SLASH'EM Extended, and hopefully I'll see an ascension some day sooon!
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2