You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2

User Info: anticlimatic21

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#31
Arrrgghh!! When (if) the devteam updates the game, I REALLY hope they do away with that #$%# "mysterious force surrounds you" business. I just ran through Asmodeus' lair about 6 times, getting repeatedly sent back to do it all over again. Two out of the six I just went back and back and back, all the way to Orcus' lair. Had three Wizard show-ups just trying to get out of Hell (not cool, since I only had the one wand of death with 4 charges).

Ascended the healer shortly afterwords. Found about 200 wands of speed monster throughout the game, but had to wish for scrolls of gold detection. Never found a magic marker, bones level, or means of polymorphing either. Because of my limited wishing capabilities, I wasn't even able to use the quest staff due to needing the shield for reflection (ran into about 10 silver dragons, none of which dropped the scales I needed).

Ever have ascensions from games that were just so frustrating that the ascension seems somewhat...unsatisfying? Anticlimactic?
"Thrown into a dungeon. Bread and water was my portion.
And faith, my only weapon...to rest the Devil's Legion."

User Info: ahaeckerlin

ahaeckerlin
7 years ago#32
I've found Asmodeus' level to be so annoying that it's totally worth the charges of polymorph to turn into a xorn.
Tjr at the NetHack wiki: http://nethackwiki.com

User Info: DeathChicken

DeathChicken
7 years ago#33
Trying a Knight. Good news, I found a blessed magic lamp really early, so I'm sporting gray dragon scale mail. Bad news, my horse got dicked over really early in the Mines by a gnome jumping into a polymorph trap, turning into an energy vortex and promptly electrocuting him. So there go any ideas of jousting things
We are thought, and reality, and concept, and the unimaginable

DeathChicken
7 years ago#34
...and then Sokoban actually turned up another wand of wishing. Huh. After the requisite wish for charging scrolls, I'm actually kind of up in the air as to whether I should wish for better equipment, or for another saddle and a figurine of a ki-rin, or something

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
7 years ago#35
So I managed to summon Yeenoghu from same race sacrificing. After accidentally pissing him off due to running into him while he's invisible, he summoned Balzeebub, and they both proceeded to shower me with ranged magic missiles/a wand of lightning (all while I'm donning reflection), and by the time I moved to the upstairs they managed to kill themselves with all the reflected rays.

I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to comment on this situation.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.

DeathChicken
7 years ago#36
...****, that run of good luck came to an end. Actually found another saddle, and tamed a warhorse to ride. Took it all the way to Medusa's level, but hadn't found any sources of levitation yet, so I zapped a wand of digging downward, intending to come back up the stairs. Soon as I land, there's an archlich. I try jousting it to death, which almost works. Then he summons monsters, and I'm surrounded by a minotaur, a jabberwocky, a purple worm, and the archlich. Yeah, at this point I'm doomed. Try zapping the wand of digging again. The worm snatches me off of my horse. I zap *him* with the wand of digging. He spits me out. Try escaping with the wand again. Worm *again* eats me. I go ahead and kill the worm. Try escaping yet again. Minotaur goes ahead and kills me

Disheartening. I doubt I'll ever get that lucky early with a Knight again

User Info: anondum

anondum
7 years ago#37
my rogue is sitting with all of gehennas mapped and a full ascension set... except the silver bell because I still need a ring of polymorph control.

I really hate that quest sometimes.

User Info: anondum

anondum
7 years ago#38
actually I hate that quest all the time

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#39
@anondum

Patience, a pick axe, and a cursed potion of gain level might get it done? Not sure if the rogue quest forces you to drop outside the wall when you dig down, but I'm not sure. Only did that quest twice, got wasted by a gold naga after pollying back to a human while still stuck in the wall the first time. The quest does suck.

@majestic

Do you get credit for the kill by simply aiding in their suicide?

anticlimatic21
7 years ago#40
@DeathChicken

You need to trade luck with me, I can't get a pre-castle wish to save my life...
  1. Boards
  2. NetHack
  3. Nethack Progress Topic mk2